Any idea what I should do...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea what I should do...

With 30 commercial can light fixtures that use 70w HID bulbs.... lol! Or the dozen recessed reflector housing 70W HID fixtures? Maybe a Bat signal? I hate to throw them all away, but dont really have a use for them. Maybe part them out and sell the bulbs and ballasts on ebay and scrap the steel. anyway, at least I found a home for the Neon sign, just happen to have a friend with a daughter with the name Claire

Re: Any idea what I should do...

Do you have a basement? Maybe you could use them as grow lights for some sort of cash crop.

Just kiddin of course.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Do you have a basement? Maybe you could use them as grow lights for some sort of cash crop.

Just kiddin of course.
      LOL!!!

I guess I could build a couple wire cages for some temp work lights?

Comment

Bob may have been joking but what about using them inside a greenhouse or something similar?
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
          Bob may have been joking but what about using them inside a greenhouse or something similar?
          Might not be a bad idea actually. My wife wants a garden, maybe set up an area in the garage to start plants in the winter so they are ready to go in the spring. Would these actually work as a light source to use as grow lights? If I could set them up on timers and actually grow a garden inside over the winter, my wife would love me forever! and from what I gather on power usage, the cost to run them is relatively low.

Comment

Bob, looks like this might be what some of these are going to be repurposed as. I gotta check and see what bulbs they use. MH or HPS bulbs, both are good for growing, interesting enough, each have better results in different portions of the growing cycle.

Comment

I doubt the color spectrum is entirely proper for growing extremely well. More reddish light is needed for plants (2200-2500 K)(HPS), yet some do quite well on noon daylight (5500-6500)(normal HID) or even tropical spectrum light (10,000-15,000 K)(specialty HID). Proper growing bulbs arent horribly expensive.
              ~~

Comment

Punky, you are correct, oddly enough one type is the best for the flowering stage while the other is best for the growing stage. I can't recall which at this moment.

Comment

You can always donate them to habitat for humanity and get a tax write off.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

Just kiddin of course.
                    Nice going Bob, now both you and Alpha are probably on a government watch list somewhere. (Anybody know what the DEA is driving this year, so AlphaCowboy can pay attention to what may be parked across the street from the house?)

CWS

Comment

I was thinking of growing African Violets, they bring big money for the right varities.

Comment

When I was head of maintenance for a greenhouse one of our crops was african violets. There are some very nice varieties that aren't seen in stores very often. Most people don't know there are minis, flowers that are double and triple petaled, or colors other than pink or purple. There's also a few tricks that I can let loose if anyone wants to know.
                        ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                          When I was head of maintenance for a greenhouse one of our crops was african violets. There are some very nice varieties that aren't seen in stores very often. Most people don't know there are minis, flowers that are double and triple petaled, or colors other than pink or purple. There's also a few tricks that I can let loose if anyone wants to know.
                          I worked in the maintenance dept and later driving a truck for a commercial florist many, many years ago. They had about a dozen varities of violets they held patents on. I used to go to the philly airport every friday afternoon and drop off a few hundred going all over the world and pick up ones from around the globe. The morning was spent delivering to center city philly. Thursdays were philly suburbs, monday western shore down to manassas, va and back. Tuesdays eastern shore run to pokomoke city, va and back, wednesdays was south jersey run. I drove about 200 to 400 miles a day.

Comment

Working...
                          X