Still Wear A Watch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Wear A Watch?

I've heard that more, and more people are not wearing watches because their cell phones take their place. I still like the convenience of having the time right on my wrist, and I'm a creature of habit so I feel like something is missing if I don't wear one. Seeing the minutes right on my wrist is easier than constantly taking the phone out of it's holder if I'm timing something on the grill or taking a break between sets at the gym. My every day watch is a ten year old casio g-shock. I can swing a sledge hammer with it on and it holds up to the toughest jobs. I never changed the battery( it recharges in the sun), and it sets it's own time (wave ceptor technology). I have a couple nice dress watches for rare occassions and to someday pass down to my daughters.

Re: Still Wear A Watch?

I used to wear watches, that is, until they started giving me chlamydia...or some other rash... sanitizing the watch never helped and wearing up to 20k gold never changed it. so my only option was the cell phone. my casio commando c771 is waterproof at 3 meters for 30 minutes and gives me all the functions of a watch plus more, without the crabs
    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 09-11-2013, 10:11 PM. Reason: tequila spelling
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Yes I gave up wearing a wrest watch when I bought a mobile phone as I kept bracking them in my job as a plumber and they were annoying slipping up and down as you could never get a band to fit properly
      But what else has a smart phone done to change your every day habits where you tried to explain to a client now you just take a photo with your mobile phone or do a voice recording use the in built diary you also have a portable phone directory also an answering machine you have sms videos connect to the internet and Utube and the list goes on its portable where the batteries only lasted hours when they first came out now they last days a watch who needs a watch

Tony

Comment

I stopped wearing a watch 16 years ago when I got my first cell phone.

Comment

Frank, sounds like we have the same identical watch. Been through 2 bands, but the watch keeps on ticking.

There are times when I have to remove it when working in tight quarters or inside toilet tanks, but for the most part its stays on 24/7.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I still wear a watch--one for every day and one for special events. By the way, what is a cell phone?

Comment

No watch here.....being retired I see no need for one.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I still wear my cheap Casio. I guess if you carry a smart phone around in your hand as if it is an extension of your anatomy like so many people do these days, a watch becomes a dinosaur. My Wife and I are making a sign that will hang over our back door when we have get togethers. It will basically say, no texting allowed.

Am I the only one who thinks someone grabbing a smart phone while your talking; reading a text message then answering it is rude? It makes me furious. What can be that important.

There I feel better now!
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Feel naked without a wrist watch. Has to be analog and synthetic clasp band.

Comment

I carry a watch in my pocket, would wear it but the old Casio watch the band broke years ago, and so it is now a pocket watch, NO cell phone, (the bands cost as much as new watch or did).
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I also have a Casio wave-ceptor watch set to a 24hr clock with secondary UTC time.
                      This is a ham radio thing.

I've worn this watch with a Spidel twist-o-flex watch band. the leather bands rot!
                      A twist-o-flex band removes quickly when needed, or can slide up to my elbow
                      to get it out of the way temporarily.

I went to Casio watches as they offered a left handed version that actually is
                      more accurate than the old heavy sun dial I used to wear!

I even tried the sand in the glass time keeper for a while,, but resetting was messy.

Finally no one even Casio has never been able to tell me when a clock becomes a watch or when a watch
                      becomes a clock? I have seen really large watches and very tiny clocks...anyone ?????

Cactus Man

Comment

I currently have a 2 yr old Casio Forrester. Keeps good time, and over the two years I have had it, it hasn't lost a single minute (I'm a WWV checker) until last month... time to change the battery I guess.

I got my first watch (a Timex) when I was 15, a birthday present from my folks. It lasted until I was 23 and it died when I forgot to take it off at the beach. It seems that up until my retirement at 59, I've felt compelled to always know the time, so I could meet someone's schedule. I have no idea how many different watches I've had to own to do that.

Most expensive watch I ever had was a Seiko. Still looks great, but it was the worse time keeping watch I ever owned, always needing adjustment every couple of weeks. When I retired in 2003, I stopped wearing a watch.... just didn't feel the need. Finally in 2011, my son was taxing me about what to get me for my birthday that year, so I told him to just go grab the cheapest Casio he could find. He was a bit upset by that, but I'm happy as the Casio Forrester lets me know what to tell my wife when she asks, "What time is it?". Other than timing the steak on the grill (Glad Franki and I have that much in common ) I really don't care what the time is.

During those roughly eight years when I didn't wear a watch, I really didn't miss it that much; afterall, theres a time indicator here on the computer, a couple of clocks in the house and one in the car. Other than a handful of appointments a year, I generally don't need to live to someone elses schedule.

Have you taken notice that hardly any retail stores (I can't think of even one) have clocks in them anymore?

CWS
                        Last edited by CWSmith; 09-12-2013, 10:42 AM.

Comment

clock

1 /klɒk/ Show Spelled [klok] Show IPA
                          noun 1. an instrument for measuring and recording time, especially by mechanical means, usually with hands or changing numbers to indicate the hour and minute: not designed to be worn or carried about.

WATCH
                          noun

a small portable timepiece, usually worn strapped to the wrist (a wristwatch ) or in a waistcoat pocket

================================================== ====
                          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            I've heard that more, and more people are not wearing watches because their cell phones take their place. I still like the convenience of having the time right on my wrist, and I'm a creature of habit so I feel like something is missing if I don't wear one. Seeing the minutes right on my wrist is easier than constantly taking the phone out of it's holder if I'm timing something on the grill or taking a break between sets at the gym. My every day watch is a ten year old casio g-shock. I can swing a sledge hammer with it on and it holds up to the toughest jobs. I never changed the battery( it recharges in the sun), and it sets it's own time (wave ceptor technology). I have a couple nice dress watches for rare occassions and to someday pass down to my daughters.
                            Grandpa! What is a watch?

Comment

Its been at least 10 years since i stopped wearing a watch. I got tired of taking it off every day going into work. I don't leave the house with any change either. 9/11 is the reason why. I have two very nice watches that get worn only occasionally now.

Years ago i had a timex calculator watch, i think it was anomg the first if not the first. It was back in 1991 i think.
                              Had that watch for many years, and it was handy to have for quick calculations on the job.
                              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                              X