Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fed shutdown

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
    I received mail today I though it was shut down ?
    Mail is privately funded (supposedly) and continues.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      BHD (and everyone),

Good post, but it begs to ask: "Then how come all of this budget stuff is continually being blamed on Obama? It doesn't seem quite right that too many people blame the administration for both sides of the issue. In addition, this situation that we now face is for money already spent... and now the Congress doesn't want to pay the bill. They're pretty good at spending us into debt, then they want to hold the nation hostage to pay for it.

(Edit: I'm not picking here, but I don't see "negotiating" as anything more than wasted time. It would be like I'm laying claim to a piece of your property and won't allow you to push me off. From your perspective, what would there possibly be to "negotiate".... the law says the property is yours, and in this case the laws says that the Affordable Healthcare Act is in place. There is simply nothing to negotiate!)

One could easily take the stance that the U.S. has a long policy of not negotiating with terrorists.... and here we have a situation where a faction of the elected representatives are acting as economic terrorists in order to obstruct what the people have decidedly voted to go forward with. The people have decided, by majority, what they want.... it is now up to the Congress to budget for it and find ways and means to do so without adding to the debt.

LIsten, this situation that we now face wouldn't be any different then if the Democrats or any other faction, held up government funding IF they didn't get their way on gun control. I think it's easy to imagine the screaming that we would be hearing if that were the case... we'd have people with guns flooding into the streets and crying for the bodies of those doing the obstructing.

With so-called "ObamaCare" (ACA) this issue has been continually obstructed since it was first tabled. Despite majority support, Republicans tried to stop the bill with hundreds of useless amendments. Since it's vote into law, they have tried to stop it with lies and innuendo. It's passed the House, the Senate, and the Executive branch, all elected by the American people. The Supreme Court has ruled in its favor and today it is accepted by a majority of the American people (and that majority is growing). The ACA was the centerpoint of the last election and the Obama administration was re-elected by a good margin! The people have thus spoken both through thier representatives and through a national vote, it is now the law and it is a law that the people obviously want!

(I get really sick of some of these right-wingers standing up and saying that THEY speak of "the American People" when it is quite obvious that they are ignoring the majority who favor the law.)

So here we are, supposedly in the greatest Democracy in the world. Are we to say that it is only great when we only get our own way, even when we are in the minority? Are we to except that a minority faction can bring the country to a halt, because "Democracy" doesn't matter to them. Are we to believe that that the furlough and risk to hundreds of thousands of people is a democratic and excellent way in which to obstruct the laws that are legally and majority elected to be enacted?

One of the major problems in this country of ours IS health care, of which we pay some of the highest prices of any industrialized country. It is a major concern to any corporation, big or small, as the unbridled cost of healthcare insurance is a major factor of doing business in this country and thus a major factor in deciding whether or not to "offshore". (I've sat in on too many budget meetings and generated graphics of cost anlysis and reduction figures for too many presentations to know how important and concerning these rising costs are to business.)

The Republican party, mostly it's far right factions, have voted to overturn "ObamaCare" how many times? Personally, I've lost count... it's become a bad joke. What are these elected officials worried about, thier donors or the common electorate that they supposedly represent? I think it's time they did their job and got off their narrow-minded butts and started concerning themselves with laws that hold down the costs and made better the quality and provide for the people and the betterment of the country that they are supposed to be representing.

CWS
      Nice post, exactly what I was going to say here. I am truly embarrassed to be a registered republican and after this latest shinnanigans I will be changing my party affiliation. When the party allows IDIOTS from the tea party drive their agenda they deserve what WILL happen in the mid terms. Enough of this right wing, religious, regressive crap. Throw the bums out!
      sigpic

Comment

NHM, if you throw the bums out, there won't be anyone left! Perhaps that is a bit too broad, but neither party has done good by America or "We The People".

Comment

As long as people think the opposing viewpoints belong to "bums" there will never be cooperation.

Comment

I am up here in Canada so please excuse my ignorance on how the process works, but I was wondering with the Fed Govt shutdown, do you still have to pay federal income tax or do they at least reduce it because they are paying less out in wages etc?

Comment

Originally posted by mbhydro View Post
              I am up here in Canada so please excuse my ignorance on how the process works, but I was wondering with the Fed Govt shutdown, do you still have to pay federal income tax or do they at least reduce it because they are paying less out in wages etc?
              no, us peons are still expected to fork over the same amount of cash so the gubment can spend way more than they receive.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

The real reason for the shutdown is white "racism" (according to that genius Ed Schultz) LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                  Mail is privately funded (supposedly) and continues.
                  These days so much is done online I hardly ever get anything by real mail so no big deal if the mail had stopped - at least for me

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                    no, us peons are still expected to fork over the same amount of cash so the gubment can spend way more than they receive.
                    Now thats an interesting way to spell government (gubment) thats all they deserve

Tony

Comment

Leave it shut down for 12 months and eventually no one will notice...

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                        The real reason for the shutdown is white "racism" (according to that genius Ed Schultz) LOL!
                        I'm not a big fan of Ed's either, but I also don't think he's too far off the mark with those feelings. Just look at those who are behind this. Most all of them are white, male (two females, including Bachmann) and have made statements and actions that pretty much define thier positions.

What we have also seen is too much Gerrymandering to encompass those who feel the same way and thus ensure a rather off-balance representation that is hardly enlightned to the social and racial makeup of the country.

Personally I hate like he!! to think that our country is reversing itself, but the ugly head of "racism" appears to be out there and it's not hard to find. Given the lack of logic that seems to exist for some of these shenanigans, I don't think it's hard for anyone to look for other reasons why so much obstructionism exists.

But whatever label one might want to put on the reasons of obstructionism that is present, the plain fact of the matter is that the right-wingers are seeking to stop and perhaps even bring down the Fedreral government and any program that helps a majority of the American people. Call it what you will, but this is a very revolutionary act as it is against a Constitutionally elected Presidency and policies and laws which are wanted by and voted for my a majority of the voters.

CWS

CWS

Comment

Call me a racist! I don't want our government waging wars we can't afford, sending foreign aid we can't afford, increasing entitlement spending and healthcare we can't afford! I want the government to make radical policy changes that encourage and support small business, big business, to put Americans to work at full time, good paying jobs, including manufacturing. I want our government to reverse the years of deficit spending and save our country and people. I want our government to enforce All laws and not just the ones they find further their agenda. The republicans have been charged with cherry picking, well what about the democrats and our President? Immigration laws have been ignored, favored groups have been given a pass on the healthcare law. The majority of the voters don't have a clue of what the healthcare law will do, or cost. We cannot afford to provide healthcare for all, people must go without treatment and die. Sounds cruel, and inhuman, but we are trillions in debt with zero prospects for turning this titanic around.

Comment

I don't think much of this president. If someone wants to call that racism the I respectfully suggest that they are stupid.

Racism gets way too much play these days. It's the easy fallback for fingerpointers rather than solution makers.

And I do believe it exists, but crying wolf clouds the issue.

Comment

I got this in an email. I had heard about a special tax on medical devices, but nothing along these lines. I'm not sure if it is accurate, just wondering if anyone knows more about this?

******Attention******* Found out through "Factcheck.com" that the information below regarding Cabela's was a mistake on the receipt! I'm leaving this post in the event others receive the same email. I'm about to write back to the sender. I'm sure more of this stuff will be circulated.

The 2.3% Medical Excise Tax that began on January 1st is supposed to be "hidden" from the consumer,

but it's been brought to the public's attention by hunting and fishing store Cabela's who have refused to hide

it and are showing it as a separate line item tax on their receipts, the email states.

I did some research and found directly from the IRS's website information that PROVES this to be true

and an accurate portrayal of something hidden in Obamacare that I was not aware of!

Now being skeptical of this I went to the IRS website and found this!

Q1. What is the medical device excise tax?

A1. Section 4191 of the Internal Revenue Code imposes an excise tax on the sale of certain medical devices

by the manufacturer or importer of the device.

Q2. When does the tax go into effect?

A2. The tax applies to sales of taxable medical devices after Dec. 31, 2012.

Q3. How much is the tax?

A3. The tax is 2.3 percent of the sale price of the taxable medical device. See Chapter 5 of IRS Publication 510,

Excise Taxes, and Notice 2012-77 for additional information on the determination of sale price.

IRS.gov Chapter Five Publication 510 (07/2012), Excise Taxes

So being more curious I clicked on "Chapter 5 of IRS Publication 510."

And what do I find under "MEDICAL DEVICES" under "MANUFACTURERS TAXES"?

The following discussion of manufacturers taxes

Applies to the tax on:

Sport fishing equipment;

Fishing rods and fishing poles;

Electric outboard motors;

Fishing tackle boxes;

Bows, quivers, broadheads, and points;

Arrow shafts;

Coal;

Taxable tires;

Gas guzzler automobiles; and

Vaccines.

I NEVER KNEW THAT A TIRE IS A MEDICAL DEVICE
                              Last edited by Frankiarmz; 10-02-2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbhydro View Post
                                That's one of the few parts that's still fully operational. They will gladly take your money for reduced services.

We should keep track of the number of days the Fed is shut down, then figure out what the percentage
                                is at the end of the year when paying taxes, and only pay the 85% of whatever it works out to be.

Maybe we could ask the congressman and senators to only take 85% of their salary for the year, seeing
                                as they couldn't keep the government running at full steam for 365 days.
                                "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                                X