Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fed shutdown

Franki,

I guess I slipped up there NOT making it clear that I was talking about the "racists" remarks, graphics, and commentary that is too often directed at this administration. I didn't mean it to sound like I was totally agreeing with Ed Shultz comments, and I think anyone could see that.... but, I certainly didn't make that very clear in my response. I did make a point of saying that it wouldn't be hard for someone to come to such a conclusion given the past commentary, etc. regarding the Obama Administration.... and to do so certainly wouldn't be entirely "stupid" as you proclaim.

You don't have to look very far to see that "racisim" is still an issue and even one that is growing. Should someone be called a racist just because they don't agree with ObamaCare or don't agree with the President himself or his policies? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

But what do you call it when you see certain kinds of graphics displayed on signs of protests? What do you call those who refer to this President as "shucking and jiving", and other blatent labels desparaging to his race?

CWS

Comment

CWS, I call that behavior racist! I would like to think there is less blatant racism , sexism and other small minded, damaging behavior than there was years ago. I am sure the war to weed out such feelings towards others and antisocial behavior will be waged with every new generation. We must resist the urge to have it be who we are , and sink to falsely assign the label to others in an attempt to dismiss their true disagreement with our opinions. I cannot be more clear in explaining how I feel towards our economy, and politics. I still remember my youthful optimism regarding pollution, the environment, politics and life in general. I still believe in freedom of speech and right to choose what I believe without being labeled by folks who are threatened by a man who thinks for himself. I am an American first, that is my only label. Liberal, conservative, progressive, regressive, take your choice, they do not accurately describe who I am or what I think. That bothers some folks. I am bothered by the overspending, unsustainable entitlements, loss of jobs and hopes for many, the corruption and fraud, the promises of change and the business as usual. Those things are causing damage beyond name calling.

Comment

The workers will speak
        we can't afford oBum a care
        Just lower the tax on lower income familys

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
          I know you think it's cute and all, but perhaps you could drop your pet name "regressives" and just discuss the topic. I pretty much skip everything you say following your namecalling. It's hard to offer respect to one that shows none.

Labels don't help especially when it's clear you intend them as an insult.
          Really? Then why don't you contact Glenn beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hanity and the rest of the others who daily label the democrats as progressives. Like it or not your party of choice is the regressives. They have done whatever they could to keep this country from prospering and worse yet to keep the average American from prospering. Frankly, I could care less if you read my posts or not.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Really? Then why don't you contact Glenn beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hanity and the rest of the others who daily label the democrats as progressives. Like it or not your party of choice is the regressives. They have done whatever they could to keep this country from prospering and worse yet to keep the average American from prospering. Frankly, I could care less if you read my posts or not.
            They aren't taking part in this conversation. We are. Why don't you show some maturity to go along with all them smarts you bless us with?

Comment

I disagree in your assessment. The Republicans hold a majority in the House for a reason. I believe that reason was to stop the Democrats from destroying the Country. Why is it no one from the Left is complaining about all of the special deals have been given to Obama supporters with Obamacare? Why are some unions now calling for the repeal of Obamacare? Why are members on Congress being subsidized to participate in Obamacare while you and I are not? Why did big business get an extension on starting Obamacare while the little people and their employees did not? I don't agree with shutting down the government but the my way or the highway of the President and the Democrats is just as bad if not worse. The House is doing what they were sent there to do. You don't have to agree with them but they believe it is what they were sent to Washington for.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Frankly, I could care less if you read my posts or not.
                On a side note....this actually means that you DO care. If you would like to imply that you do NOT care you should say "I couldn't care less."

You may continue educating us.

Comment

I cannot understand why you cannot realize your bankrupt and delaying it every year with this farce in congress only tips the financial world closer to it going over the edge there has to come a time when you cannot keep raising the amount you owe each year
                  You all rabbit on about Obamacare and how it is unafordable to give the lowest in you society basic health cover when that should already be in place years ago if you were a caring society and cared for your own but thats not where your monies have gone its all those wars you have fought over the last forty years helping every other country but your own you wanted to be the top dog but to get there your governments bankrutped you the people with your blessings and you cannot repay your debt and the peoples you went to war for couldn`t give a stuff about the US

Tony

Comment

If the congress would quit their demogoging and sit down in a bipartisan manner and work out the problems with the legislation it would go a long way towards greatly reducing the average persons out of pocket medical expenses. Billions of dollars in fact. Money that folks would now be able to spend on other things. Money that would greatly help boost the economy. But I guess nobody has the foresight to think that far ahead. They are much more interested in tearing down the president.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Re: Fed shutdown

On a side note....this actually means that you DO care. If you would like to imply that you do NOT care you should say "I couldn't care less."

You may continue educating us.
                      When in doubt, go for the grammar LOL
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                        You all rabbit on about Obamacare and how it is unafordable to give the lowest in you society basic health cover when that should already be in place years ago if you were a caring society and cared for your own
                        Tony
                        all a person that is uninsured needs to do to day is show up at a hospital/emergency room and they will be cared for,

If a person is poor there are programs to cover there needs,

I know many, Persons who has had cancer treatments and most likely never payed a dime,
                        Who have joint replacements, and other surgeries and treatments numerous times,
                        and never had any insurance and most likely never payed any realistic amount of there bill.
                        As it is seldom does some one not get the care they need do to finances in the US. (Yes I am sure there are some out there how fall through the cracks, but most of the time it is probably because they do not take advantage of the programs or system that is there).

There are many a program and provisions and help for those who are not financially able.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

When in doubt, go for the grammar LOL
                          It wasn't grammar. It was concept.

If you portray yourself as smarter than everyone else and an "educator" , and disrespectful, you position yourself for some correction.

Comment

So many questions and so little understanding.

There are certainly a lot of people who go to the hospital emergency room and even to get thier sniffles and headaches taken care of; and, they don't pay a dime! But that doesn't mean it was free... because the time and service still needs to be paid for. Who pays for that? Surely you don't think that the nurses and doctors just hand out their services of free, saying, "Oh, you're poor, well okay I'll just tell the payroll department to not pay me for those hours."

Doesn't work that way... when one patient doesn't pay, it gets passed on to other patients who can! In some cases, there are Federal deductions that the hospital might be able to take (losses), and then we the taxpayers have to pick up the tab. Important to remember is that when one doesn't pay, the others have to make up for it with increased fees. When those fees become unaffordable because of insurance loss, NOT every person is quick to take advantage or even be knowledgeable of, programs that might be out there to help. Others who once could afford, but haven't been able to keep up with the ever inflating charges just reach a point where healthcare becomes unaffordable. There are thousands of cases (maybe millions), where people loose their jobs, loose their healthcare insurance and thus can't afford care and simply have to drop out, and in many case they simply die.

Look, I don't know all the ins and outs of the ACA. Sure, it's going to cost but how much none of us know for sure. NONE OF US! The Republicans and especially the Tea Party'er's have grossly high cost number projected, and the Democrats have significantly lower projections... but neither side really knows, and we the people can only guess.

What we do know is that before the ACA, the cost of health care was inflating at a disproportionate rate. What we do know, is that before Obamacare, the system wasn't working and many, many, many people could NOT afford proper health care and/or the cost of insurance to protect them. Not only couldn't individuals and families not afford the unbridled increases, but neither could most American companies, big or small. The cost of health care insurance to employers is also a major reason to "off-shore".... it adds significantly to the cost of doing business here in the U.S.!

When I first started working for big employers back in the 60's, health care wasn't a significant factor. My Dad never made great money, we were poor, and because of health problems with my Mom, he couldn't get health insurance for any price. But he could still afford to take care of his family as most Doctors back then were in private practice, and a visit, even a house visit, didn't cost more than three hours of his pay. Often it was less, because an office call was only around $4.00.

My first "official" job was for the biggest department store in the area, where I worked in the kitchen. They had two or three hundred employees, and they provided NO health insurance. My second job was in a factory with four plants, about 500 or so employees, and no heath coverage. Then I worked for a national life insurance company, in their home office. About 900 employees. There I had an accident and had to be ambulanced to the emergency ward. I found that even with the big insurance company employer, they didn't offer health insurance either. But that bill which I got was only about $60, which was less than my week's take-home. The point is that health insurance wasn't a major factor to many middle-class workers, because the costs were relatively low.

When I finally got into my career in 1966, that employer provided health insurance, but only for big stuff, like our child who was born in 1969. That bill came to less than $500, and the insurance picked up everything but the telephone in the room. Visits to the doctor however was paid by us, but it was usually only around $6. Even in 1973, when I went to work at Ingersoll-Rand, the cost of a doctor visit was still only $6.00, and my insurance there picked that up. By 1976, the cost of that went to $8, and then a couple of years later to $12 and by 1980 it was around $24. During the 80's it rose faster than I can account for and today it cost $174.

During that time, most private practices went out of business and joined (sometimes coerced into it) bigger hospitals and health care organizations. Doctor visits becase significantly less personal as the Doctors simply no longer managed their own time, as it became the domain of their "administered" employers.

With such increases in health care, individuals found that they couldn't afford to handle the bills, and thus sought employers who had such benefits. Employers faced with employee loss, looked for providers so they could remain competitive as employers. But every year the cost of health coverage went up, significantly! Then it got to the point where there were no guarantees even for coming fiscal year, as cost increases hit employers mid-term. This made business planning very difficult; AND, I might add, all through the late 80's and 90's, the "health care" cost was a major concern for costing out my employer's products... to the point where it had to be addressed sharply. Every industry that I did work for faced the same problems.

So, while there might well be concerns with ObamaCare, what I do know is that the old system was broke, and subsequently we either went broke trying to pay for it (or keep up with it) or we dropped out, got sick, went bankrupt, and/or died. ObamaCare may not work, but the old system definitely did NOT work and I think we need to give the new system a chance. Last year my company dropped all it's coverage for retiree's... it simply became impossible to afford. What they did instead is simply provide a fixed sum account to each retiree and their spouse to help pay of a policy that we choose independantly. Already, I see my costs drop, with much better benefits. But, that rate is going up slightly for 2014, but even then it's a better plan than I had before.

The one thing that I see and understand, is that some in the insurance business don't the ACA because they are being taken out of the "easy money" that they once made. My Doctor says he's concerned... he'll actually make more money, but he's concerned over the additional patient load. The hospitals, seem to be overjoyed, I think, as everywhere that I look they are expanding. Here in Corning, they're building a brand-new hospital, in Binghamton they are expanding everywhere you look. And though the population has dropped over the last 50 years, we have increased the number of pharmacies by more than twenty (and that's several times what we had even 20 years ago.

I see others who are against it because they may be young and healthy and don't want to pay for something they feel they need (but what about accidents?). I can see those with great coverage (like some Unions) objecting to it because they'll fall into the "luxury" catagory. I can see why some employers may object, because they feel thier employees are nothing but slaves, and only the owners deserve to benefit from profits. Lot's of people have concerns, the question is why, what are their motives, and are those concerns really all that fairminded. I don't have the answers, and I doubt that many of us do.

Hopefully there will be significant cost controls initiated, or perhaps they are just going to make the mistake of thinking competition will level the field. (I think not though.)

The alternative? Well, we can let people die as some often say. Who will those be? Your family, mine, maybe just those who are on disability or maybe those who have lost their insurance along with their job. Maybe we can just get really efficient and say that if you loose your job, your insurance, and your heath, we'll just set up a review board and terminate you before you get so sick that you'll become a burden.

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 10-05-2013, 04:33 PM. Reason: Typos and clarity

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                              all a person that is uninsured needs to do to day is show up at a hospital/emergency room and they will be cared for,
                              Yes and then you can expect the debt collector to come knocking on your door.

Some years ago I had to go to a hospital for treatment for a really severe cold. They made a mistake with my insurance but the net result was that the insurance did not pay due to the mistake. They then sent me a bill for the full amount but since I had moved I did not get the bill - again not sure why as I had mail redirect in place. The next thing I know I was contacted by a debt collection agency.

When people don't pay the hospitals will come after you or pass the cost on by the way of increased charges to people with insurance or those who pay.

Costs for healthcare in the US it is an utter mess with significant portions of society unable to get decent healthcare.

Comment

It wasn't grammar. It was concept.

If you portray yourself as smarter than everyone else and an "educator" , and disrespectful, you position yourself for some correction.

I feel as though I own real estate in your head lol

If I portray myself as smarter than everyone, what do you portray yourself as?

Who have I disrespected? How about I quit hurting your feelings and you actually post something of value here rather than ragging on me? There is an ignore button
                                Last edited by NHMaster3015; 10-05-2013, 02:25 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X