X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed shutdown

Send a email to your Congressman and tell him you want a rider on the bill that no in the Senate or Congress will get paid or receive any benefit if the Fed shuts down. They should have to feel the affect of their ineptness and irresponsibility.

To let these few continue time after time to hold the country hostage until they get their way is not how the government is meant to operate, to use the term loosely. It's the poltical equivilant of your 3 year old threatening to hold their breath until they turn blue.

Anyone who votes to shut down the government because they want to use this as a method to defund the health care act should be voted out of office.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Fed shutdown

how about the senate and president who refuses to accept the spending bill, sent up from the house?
    The house is the one who by law are to set the spending.
    It looks like to me that Harry Reid and Obama are the obstructionist. not the house, (The house has done there job and sent them a bill that is workable).

According to the Origination Clause of the United States Constitution, all bills relating to revenue, generally tax bills, must originate in the House of Representatives, consistent with the Westminster system requiring all money bills to originate in the lower house.
    Appropriation bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I don't know what good or harm any of this will accomplish, but I find the mention of the word budget insulting and out of place. How can anyone of good conscience refer to more overspending on top of the trillions of debt a budget? Does the bill ever come due? Is there no rational comparission between the fed overspending and debt, and that of any other institution? In my opinion we need Americans working full time jobs, Americans making more of our consumer goods, and unfortunately we need death panels to decide who lives and dies, who gets the costly healthcare treaments and who does not. I think we are naive to think we can wage wars, provide healthcare, and other entitlements, with a failed economy and low pay part time jobs, as we consume what the rest of the world sell us!

Comment

You must live within your means but tell me one thing just how many times will your governments on both sides cry wolf and when will they either bite the bullet and start paying off those trillions or will it be allowed to keep rising until you cannot pay it off or have you already reached that

Tony

Comment

Despite what the regressives say, we are paying it down.
          sigpic

Comment

NHM, I can't imagine how you can say the debt is being paid down as it keeps rising? Would you describe as "regressive" any person in any other similar financial situation who would work towards a fiscally responsible behavior? The waging of wars, and increased entitlement spending including healthcare does not work regardless of which party is in power. Progress in my opinion is the same wheter it is a family working to live within it's means or a government. Name calling and assigning labels does not alter the facts or where we find ourselves. Extreme situations sometimes require sacrifice in order to save property, posessions, or even lives. Nothing has changed to have me believe we are on the road to recovery. We have been in decline for decades, overspending while losing American based businesses and jobs. Healthcare and entitlement spending will saves lives in the short term but ultimately will cost many more lives and that is not progressive.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              how about the senate and president who refuses to accept the spending bill, sent up from the house?
              It looks like to me that Harry Reid and Obama are the obstructionist. not the house, (The house has done there job and sent them a bill that is workable).
              BHD (and everyone),

Good post, but it begs to ask: "Then how come all of this budget stuff is continually being blamed on Obama? It doesn't seem quite right that too many people blame the administration for both sides of the issue. In addition, this situation that we now face is for money already spent... and now the Congress doesn't want to pay the bill. They're pretty good at spending us into debt, then they want to hold the nation hostage to pay for it.

(Edit: I'm not picking here, but I don't see "negotiating" as anything more than wasted time. It would be like I'm laying claim to a piece of your property and won't allow you to push me off. From your perspective, what would there possibly be to "negotiate".... the law says the property is yours, and in this case the laws says that the Affordable Healthcare Act is in place. There is simply nothing to negotiate!)

One could easily take the stance that the U.S. has a long policy of not negotiating with terrorists.... and here we have a situation where a faction of the elected representatives are acting as economic terrorists in order to obstruct what the people have decidedly voted to go forward with. The people have decided, by majority, what they want.... it is now up to the Congress to budget for it and find ways and means to do so without adding to the debt.

LIsten, this situation that we now face wouldn't be any different then if the Democrats or any other faction, held up government funding IF they didn't get their way on gun control. I think it's easy to imagine the screaming that we would be hearing if that were the case... we'd have people with guns flooding into the streets and crying for the bodies of those doing the obstructing.

With so-called "ObamaCare" (ACA) this issue has been continually obstructed since it was first tabled. Despite majority support, Republicans tried to stop the bill with hundreds of useless amendments. Since it's vote into law, they have tried to stop it with lies and innuendo. It's passed the House, the Senate, and the Executive branch, all elected by the American people. The Supreme Court has ruled in its favor and today it is accepted by a majority of the American people (and that majority is growing). The ACA was the centerpoint of the last election and the Obama administration was re-elected by a good margin! The people have thus spoken both through thier representatives and through a national vote, it is now the law and it is a law that the people obviously want!

(I get really sick of some of these right-wingers standing up and saying that THEY speak of "the American People" when it is quite obvious that they are ignoring the majority who favor the law.)

So here we are, supposedly in the greatest Democracy in the world. Are we to say that it is only great when we only get our own way, even when we are in the minority? Are we to except that a minority faction can bring the country to a halt, because "Democracy" doesn't matter to them. Are we to believe that that the furlough and risk to hundreds of thousands of people is a democratic and excellent way in which to obstruct the laws that are legally and majority elected to be enacted?

One of the major problems in this country of ours IS health care, of which we pay some of the highest prices of any industrialized country. It is a major concern to any corporation, big or small, as the unbridled cost of healthcare insurance is a major factor of doing business in this country and thus a major factor in deciding whether or not to "offshore". (I've sat in on too many budget meetings and generated graphics of cost anlysis and reduction figures for too many presentations to know how important and concerning these rising costs are to business.)

The Republican party, mostly it's far right factions, have voted to overturn "ObamaCare" how many times? Personally, I've lost count... it's become a bad joke. What are these elected officials worried about, thier donors or the common electorate that they supposedly represent? I think it's time they did their job and got off their narrow-minded butts and started concerning themselves with laws that hold down the costs and made better the quality and provide for the people and the betterment of the country that they are supposed to be representing.

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

CWS, the money that was already spent, should not have been spent! That goes for every administration as far back as deficit spending began. If you are asking everyone, about only blaming President Obama, my answer is I blame All of them. President Obama is just the last in a long line of Presidents to kick the can down the road and be irresponsible.We could not afford the wars, entitlments and now healthcare once we started operating in the red. Individuals can't expect to spend when they have no income to pay their debts, neither can businesses, or our government. There were, and still are no failsafes, they just keep overspending as if it will never lead to a collapse. I still say this goes back at least forty years, because in order to provide healthcare and entitlements there had to be an abundance of wealth from which to draw. Take obamacare and the republicans out of the equation and you still have a failed economy with no plan to rebuild, employ. progress!

Comment

How much money are we saving by having the government shut down?

Comment

Franki,

You are right. This has gone on forever in fact; and you can track the same problems all the way back into the 19th Century. The rich want everything, they don't want to pay for anything, and they are more than willing to keep the working class impoverished in order to do so. That's simply how it is and, it will always be that way with the majority, although there are occasionally some exceptions. The politics of that has been and will be and it matters not what label you want to place on any political party.

I started out and am still a registered Republican, though I have always voted for my country, and not for my party. I started out as a Republican for the same reasons that I feel today. Back then, the Democrats were somewhat contentious, and in my mind at the time significantly flawed in their stance on many things. Today I see a much needed reversal in thier ideas though and the Republicans have swung far to the right and have serously impacted the working class by backing "big business" and all the things that they want to do, to the disadvantage of property and livelihood of those of us who work hard for a living.

But this situation of bringing the government to a halt for it's own narrow political agenda I find most distasteful. It offers nothing to the people. It is entirely political childplay and grandstanding for no purpose whatsoever, except to dishonor the country and disfavor the will of it's citizenry.

However, you do appear to not want to account for the jobs gains, the drop in the debt, and the slowing of the inflation rate of medical expense. There is no magic bullet for sure, but at least we have changed the course of the joblessness, debt, national interest, and waste of our military that the previous adminstration navigated us into.

CWS

Comment

Statistics get so twisted it's not funny.

Our politicians don't know the difference between velocity and acceleration.

Your velocity can increase at the same time acceleration is decreasing. This simply means you let off the gas some but you are still increasing speed. A politician would call this slowing down, because they lie and people believe them.

Frankly I'm sick of all politicians and saddened by the sheeple that believe them.
                      Last edited by rofl; 10-01-2013, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I received mail today I though it was shut down ?

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                          Franki,

However, you do appear to not want to account for the jobs gains, the drop in the debt, and the slowing of the inflation rate of medical expense. There is no magic bullet for sure, but at least we have changed the course of the joblessness, debt, national interest, and waste of our military that the previous adminstration navigated us into.

CWS
                          CWS, a rise in part time, low paying jobs is not a sign of growth in my opinion. I know plenty of folks, myself included who have seen healthcare costs rise in anticipation of obamacare. I think it is a guarantee that to avoid paying for healthcare, businesses that can make part time, employees who were full time will do so. We need to take the blinders off and see that the government pays for nothing, it is we the taxpayers and business owners. My common sense tell me that we are still losing more full time jobs than we are gaining, we are still bleeding out our wealth as we consume what other countries sell. The system is broken, the spending unsustainable and the bill is coming due. To make matters worse the push to get folks signed up for food stamps and other entitlements seems extrodinary. Unlike some, I not only blame President Obama but all his predecessors. We were on the road to doom forty years ago, President Obama is simply another driver. CWS, we have not changed course if we are still spending more than we make. If it makes you happy to think otherwise fine.
                          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 10-01-2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                            How much money are we saving by having the government shut down?
                            A better question might be how much is it hurting the economy to shut the fed down. You now have 800,000 employees who will not be spending week to week what they normally would, and many other areas are impacted.

If certain parties/individuals/groups think they have the votes to recall the ACA, then they should put it on the flooor for a vote. But since they don't , they are using underhanded tactics to hold the entire budget hostage to get their way even though they are not innthe majority as far as their position on the ACA.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                              BHD, read your quote from wikipedia--it says "must originate in the house" it doesn't say the house sets the spending. That is why we have three branches of gov't.

Comment

Working...
                              X