X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Automation Systems

Wondering how many are using or considered a home automation system.

Maybe you install them or have one in your own home.

The are systems offered by Comcast/Xfinity, AT&T, ADT, and many others,
    as well as the what appear to be more of a DIY system, the Z-wave technology
    devices. Way back X-10 was touted as the home automation protocol of the future,
    but it has gone by the wayside.

I have a number of those old X-10 modules for controlling lamps and appliances.
    They are great a Christmas time, we use them to toggle lights on and off from the
    handheld remote. I have a serial interface that allows a PC running software to
    also control the lighting, but don't use it any more.

Anyway, the new widely accepted standard, at least by the manufacturers, appears
    to be Z-wave, with over 100 companies making z-wave compatible products. The
    list covers just about anything you might want to connect in a home, from monitoring
    moisture levels in your garden to PTZ cameras and perimeter locks from Schlage, Yale,
    and Kwikset. There are also of course T-stats, lamp controls, wall-mounted receptacles,
    IR and motion detectors, smoke and fire detectors, energy monitors for water heaters,
    water leak detectors, and loads more.

So, any thoughts, personal experiences to share, nightmares to relive out there?

I saw when in Lowes the other day their Z-wave compatible system in a display near
    the registers which is what got me thinking about all this.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Home Automation Systems

My problem with 'wireless' systems is that they still are required to be hard wired. That is, it is a remote controlled - hard wired switch. It can be very misleading.

I have an application that needs a wireless switch to control a low amp 120 volt fan and there is no direct connection to the fan. There is a 120 volt source elsewhere that can be tied to the fan. There needs to be a self-transmitting 120 volt powered wall switch that communicates with a 120 volt powered receiver that controls the fan. I shouldn't have to use a middle-man control box designed for an entire house system nor hard wire a 'wireless' switch.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
    X