the respectful dissussion between rofl & NHM thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the respectful dissussion between rofl & NHM thread

I have some questions and I commit to being just as honest as I hope you will be with any questions you might have. I've started this thread because I don't want to polute every other thread when it can be limited to here.

Your never answered the question "why a registered republican for 40 years?"

From my perspective it appears that you oppose everything they stand for, or have ever stood for. It looks like you have more in common with Democrat presidents than Republican. You also can't stand the political talking heads that best approximate their position, though you listen to them fervently.

I know both of us have a smart@ss nature about us so I think it's fair to allow that but I prefer that use discretion and ration it out.
    Last edited by rofl; 10-08-2013, 06:15 PM.

Re: the respectful dissussion between rofl & NHM thread

rofl,

Do you prefer to keep this just between you and NHM on this thread?

I ask that because I've also been a "registered republican for 40 years".... (actually since 1965 when I turned 21 [that was the voting age back then]). As you already know, I now find myself strongly in opposition to that party. I'd gladly explain, if you really want an answer HERE.

CWS

Comment

I have already explained why after almost 40 years I will not vote democrat! Both parties took turns doing damage all those years and now we all feel sorry about the past. Well, it's too late! We all feasted on the pork bills, looked the other way on war spending, foreign aid, and the millions of illegals burdening our economy. We bought up the cheap foreign goods and were fine with the loss of American jobs because it wasn't us, it was someone else. We all helped bake these poop pies, time to dig in.
      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 10-08-2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I welcome all discussion....though the thrust is a certain direction. Many change parties for various reasons. A change in the party. A change in personal beliefs. If someone wants to elaborate on their reason for changing that's great.

My question for NHM is what did he ever have in common with them?

Of course the obvious follow-up is "why would you register with a group you more often oppose than support?"

Comment

It would be less painful to discuss sectional vs. drum.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

It is hard to quantify but I guess if forced have to say that now that I am older and not so busy raising kids (8) and running a business I have time to work things out. I can research stuff, dig deeper and think longer about the long term effects that policies may have. I think one of the biggest problems we have today is that most folks are so stressed that when they do have down time their thoughts are of what's for dinner and what time is the football game on. We, as a society do an awful lot of what I like to call "hard recreation" days off are spent frantically trying to do, see or go somewhere memorable rather than spend time thinking and talking. We are a live for the moment society and many of the things politicians deal with can't be solved within the next news cycle. Take health care. Everyone knows that the way the system is now doesn't work and the Obama bill is flawed as well but I do believe that it is a step in the right direction and if the bugs can get thrashed out and folks can afford to have health insurance, he nation and the economy will be better off. The republicans no longer speak to me. Neither do the democrats and the libertarians are close but just a little bit out there for me too. I am a man without a party.
            sigpic

Comment

Power, power, power, tax & spend. The only real difference between the GOP and the Dems is WHO gets taxed, how MUCH they get taxed, and WHO it gets spent on. I have long held the opinion that the two-party system was concocted by the DC power brokers to give the voters the (false) illusion that they actually have a choice. Every decision made on The Hill is about redistribution - sometimes of power, sometimes of money. What's in 'the greater good' of America and/or Americans is seldom considered.

IF the elected officials were truly concerned about the welfare of its constituents, they would be focusing on why the cost of health care in the US is growing at astronomical rates and doing something about it instead of trying to seize economic control of it for what amounts to nothing more than a desire for expanding their power over the economic aspects of the insurance and health care industries. But no, the Government isn't capable of doing a damn thing about it. Congressmen and Senators, both Dem AND GOP, are too intimately involved with the pharmaceutical industries, insurance industries, mega-medical groups, etc. for any effective reforms. But doing something stupid to fix something stupid is just... stupid.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

NHM, I know you don't agree with me that people have to die ,we can't afford the healthcare law, and all that but I have spent years of down time thinking about all these things. I too am a man without a party but I still feel the need to vote.
                If the thread turns to sectional vs drum, all I have to say is real men use OK Champion Rodding Trucks
                OK Champion - S66 & S660

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  As you already know, I now find myself strongly in opposition to that party.
                  CWS
                  This is also where politics gets frustrating for me.

These are my personal beliefs and could be wrong.
                  I don't believe either group is faithful to their declared agenda. I've seen Republicans claim to be the "family party" and infidelity is just as prevalent as any other group. I've seen Democrats that say they are for minorities when all they are really willing to do is throw money at them. We'll condemn a father for doing that to his kids but for some reason it's acceptable politics.

I don't believe the Republicans care about the religious that much....they just need their votes.
                  I don't believe the Democrats care about minorities that much....they just need their votes.
                  Pandering abounds.

Frankly I get sick of the hypocrisy on both sides. Democrats are "pro-choice" when it comes to aborting a child, but not pro-choice when it comes to ordering the size drink I want at a 7-11. Off the top of my head I'm blank on a "great" example of Republican hypocrisy, but I see it often and note it when I do.

"You know you are going to get kicked in the butt so you vote for the guy with the smallest foot." I hate having to vote "lesser of evils."

I'm not here to pimp a party. I'd like to send our politicians the next time we feel the need to go to war. All of them. This country is in desperate need of a third party that can progressive and true to our values at the same time.

Final notes....I used republican and democrat instead of pet names because I believe in at least faking respect if you don't really have it. I call our president by his proper title even though I think he is the worst of my lifetime. I respect the office and show respect to the guy in that office even if his actions make it difficult. When I used the terms republican and democrat in this post I was directing my comments toward politicians and not lowly people such as ourselves that have to live in the world they create.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    It is hard to quantify but I guess if forced have to say that now that I am older and not so busy raising kids (8) and running a business I have time to work things out. I can research stuff, dig deeper and think longer about the long term effects that policies may have. I think one of the biggest problems we have today is that most folks are so stressed that when they do have down time their thoughts are of what's for dinner and what time is the football game on. We, as a society do an awful lot of what I like to call "hard recreation" days off are spent frantically trying to do, see or go somewhere memorable rather than spend time thinking and talking. We are a live for the moment society and many of the things politicians deal with can't be solved within the next news cycle. Take health care. Everyone knows that the way the system is now doesn't work and the Obama bill is flawed as well but I do believe that it is a step in the right direction and if the bugs can get thrashed out and folks can afford to have health insurance, he nation and the economy will be better off. The republicans no longer speak to me. Neither do the democrats and the libertarians are close but just a little bit out there for me too. I am a man without a party.
                    Thanks for the response.

I really don't care for either party but it's pretty clear where my allegiances have been. I just don't see the connection between you and the republican party. I guess I can see you picking on them if you felt they departed values you held dear, but I hardly ever hear you address democrats with the same level of frustration even though you don't claim them either.

I'm a man without a party too, though I doubt we'd migrate to the same party if options were available.

Comment

I appreciate the candor within this topic.

I find it totally disrespectful for obama to put his feet up on the
                      desk in the oval office! that desk has more experience than he ever will!

I too respect the "office of the president" but have zero respect for the slob from Illinois!
                      I'm originally from Chicago and truly know his background!
                      The world is a more dangerous place today having a such a sorry person as president!

I am a republican ...my parents were solid democrats...the party philosophies have flip/flopped
                      over the years and we have allowed lifetime politicians due to our lack of interest and
                      blindly reelecting them into office. More people are concerned about fantasy football than
                      real life!

Any time you can vote for your own pay raise and are above the law it's time to remove
                      you from the position. The amount of felonies and laws broken by our elected officials are
                      shocking! from murder to outright stealing and immoral acts! 2 terms should be the
                      maximum public service served TOTAL! Otherwise you become corrupted!

This applies to judges too!!!!

I find the enthusiastic debates we have here interesting and entertaining.
                      I'd like to see some of you small business owners go and run our country..you'll
                      fire the dead weight and useless folks the first day!

Both parties are at fault ...we usually scream louder at the party in control at the time!

I know people that claim to be republicans do it to stack primary elections and the same with
                      democrats.

Finally although we have a lot of serious problems I have to say we are still the best game around!

If Dennis Rodeman and all the other USA haters Jane Fonda, and others like them have so much
                      dislike for our country and way of government..why don't they surrender their millions of
                      dollars they have, surrender their citizenship and move to **** or Argentina or Russia
                      and have a wonderful life!

I still have no problems with debates but if you don't like the neighborhood ...move

Cactus Man

Comment

I don't know how much more bad news our country can take? I just heard that kris and bruce jenner of "the kardashians", have separated! I know, it's horrible but counceling is available.
                        Sadly, there are probably more Americans who know about those d'list celebs than the current national crisis

Comment

================================================== ====
                          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                            "Here I am, stuck in the middle with you".

Comment

NHM....could you please explain what answer you are looking for that isn't covered in my responses?

There was a definition provided by blue_can and I said it fit me and went on to discuss it more. If you don't respect the answer tell me which part is lacking in your opinion. Simply ignoring what I have said does not promote communication but it does promote conflict.

Comment

Working...
                              X