Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Affordable Care Act

Originally posted by rofl View Post
    The fact that you don't accept my answer doesn't mean it wasn't given.

The politicians don't want it....why would I?
    I don't know.

Why would you?

Why wouldn't you?

The politicians possibly don't want it because it is a lesser insurance vs. there current model. That doesn't necessarily mean that will be the same case for you.

Right? Or am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
      Not taken the wrong way at all.

So, if I understand you correctly, your same coverage that you were happy with will now cost you more.

That will suck. Any idea how much the costs will rise?

Thanks.
      I don't know that the cost of my plan will rise or not, it depends on how the company responds to the requirements of the affordable care act. What I do know is that any coverage paid for by the company I work for will be taxed as income, which it currently isn't. Until it all rolls out, there is now way for any of us to know how much we will be affected. A lot of it depends on the reactions of the companies we work for. Oh, and to clarify, from what my wife told me even though we are all current patients of my Dr, if we have another kid she won't accept him/her as a new patient either, so we would have to find a different doc, which is disappointing because we like the one we have.

Comment

Originally posted by d_slat View Post
        I don't know that the cost of my plan will rise or not, it depends on how the company responds to the requirements of the affordable care act. What I do know is that any coverage paid for by the company I work for will be taxed as income, which it currently isn't. Until it all rolls out, there is now way for any of us to know how much we will be affected. A lot of it depends on the reactions of the companies we work for. Oh, and to clarify, from what my wife told me even though we are all current patients of my Dr, if we have another kid she won't accept him/her as a new patient either, so we would have to find a different doc, which is disappointing because we like the one we have.
        Your paid insurance will now be considered taxable income. Got it. Good information. Thanks.

Are you considered a "real" employee of your company? Or are you considered a contracted employee?

Comment

I don't know.

Why would you?

Why wouldn't you?

The politicians possibly don't want it because it is a lesser insurance vs. there current model. That doesn't necessarily mean that will be the same case for you.

Right? Or am I wrong?
          I don't trust politicians one bit. Any flavor. If I have to guess at their motives I can assure you I will skew to a pessimistic view.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
            I don't trust politicians one bit. Any flavor. If I have to guess at their motives I can assure you I will skew to a pessimistic view.
            I here ya' on the politicians. I kind of think everyone should study up on the Zimbardo experiment and also the Milgram experiment and how it can relate to politics.

Note: I didn't start this thread in support or in condemnation of the Act. Just honestly to find out how it's going to affect people everywhere.

Comment

I recently received my renewal which appeared to be a $2,400 per year increase over last year. What it ended up being was a $2,400 increase for an Obamacare equivalent to our policy. If I sign for the new policy my office visit co-pay will go from $30 to $40. Hospital stay will go from $400 per day to 30%, which depending on which level of care, my co-pay will be between $844 and $2,300 (ICU) per day. I have not found the surgical cost yet. My prescription drugs will go from a $10 co-pay to a $40 co-pay. I am researching my options now.

Of my 10 or so doctors, 3-retired this year rather than deal with it. The replacement doctors are young kids who miss a lot.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Since I am enrolled in the VA health care system and my spouse is on Medicare,
                I don't foresee any significant changes in my situation.

Comment

Your paid insurance will now be considered taxable income. Got it. Good information. Thanks.

Are you considered a "real" employee of your company? Or are you considered a contracted employee?
                  I am a real employee. I work as a Mechanical Maintenance Mechanic at an electric generating plant owned by Alliant Energy.

Comment

Originally posted by d_slat View Post
                    I am a real employee. I work as a Mechanical Maintenance Mechanic at an electric generating plant owned by Alliant Energy.
                    My two brothers and my son-in-law work for LADWP in steam generations. The have incredible health care coverage. I'm almost wondering if the next round of union negotiations will ask for smaller policies and more cash compensation to try to get around the Cadillac excise tax.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

So I thought I would start this thread to ask some simple questions.

How will The Affordable Care Act affect you?
                      Financially?
                      Better or worse insurance for you per dollar spent?

Thanks.

I'm not sure how the ACA will effect me in the future. What I know is my ex-employer (I retired in 2003), had to continually raise the cost to all employees, to the point where many of us were simply let go, because the benefit cost was ridiculously high. That was in 2000! They kept me on for three more years (over 200 of us), paying us as "contractors" with no benefits. After a protest, I was thrown out in 2003 and for a year and a half I had absolutely no income, no social security, and no unemployment.... it took me a good attorney (out of town, because Corporate influence kept all local attorney's away from taking the case). With a law suit, I got back pay and benefit costs for the three years I was deemed a subcontractor and in late 2005 I was able to get retiree benefits.

(For example, my employer had a very good medical center with a three nurses on staff, a company "doctor", and twice a week visits from a very good local physician (my physician). BUT, they tracked every single employee, how often they visited, and the nature of the visit. Often discussed at staff meeting was the age and healthcare costs of the employees, not by name, but by the number and nature of the visits and the cost. My Doctor used to joke about the number of us that were on high-blood pressure and anti-stress medicine. He'd tell me that if the management every got it's act together so employees could settle down, he'd have to rush to get everybody off thier pills so they wouldn't pass out when their pressure whet down. I've been told, from an ex-nurse employee, that in the big layoff we had in 2000 (of which I was a part), many of those people were selected from the medical center log because of continued medical needs.)

So, I've been retire ten years now, but last year the company decided to drop all retirees from thier health care plans, because of inflating health insurance cost. Instead of them paying the insurance company, they give a yearly stipend to each retiree (through a third-party account) to cover part of the cost of whatever insurance we pick for ourselves. So, through 2013 my Health Care insurance for my wife and I is substantially more beneficial and, at a lower cost. We've saved about $600 for the year in premium, and a substantial amount because of the great coverage.

In 2014, the benefits are changing, but not much. At present we pay no "co-pay" for doctors within the system, and no Emergency Room costs. Most prescriptions are also free, but with some exceptions. My wife has two prescriptions that cost about $150 for a 90-day supply. In 2014, there will be a $8 co-pay for prescriptions and the cost of higher levels will change to us paying 17% of thier costs. At present, my wife is in the so-called "donut hole"... I understand that is supposed to close somewhat (and gradually close completely over the next several years).

So, for me: It appears to be better coverage, it will cost me less, and thus the insurance is better.

Now, I'm good friends with my Doctor, and we have a Cardiac Surgeon in the family, and my son has a very good friend who is a general practitioner. My Doctor says he's actually going to be paid better, but as of two months ago, he was concerned about his patient load, he doesn't like the fact that people have to go to the Emergency Room for basic services (that changes of course), but he thinks that everybody needs to pay "something" otherwise he and other Doctors may be overloaded with every little thing. My wife's cousin thinks it's great. He too is worried about load, but then he doesn't contend with that so much. He does think that far too many people die, simply "wasteful" as he puts it, because they avoid ever going to the doctor's because they can't afford it. My son's friend is sort of mixed in her feelings. Relatively young and in one of the very few independant family practices, she get's a lot of very poor patients, who are stressed by not only thier problems, but because of their finances are stressed to have to pay for services, prescriptions etc. In many cases, people won't follow advice, won't take their prescriptions properly often skipping dosages and not getting refills. But she also is concerned about possible overload, and she too thinks that everybody needs to pay a "copay".

The personal cost of ObamaCare does concern me, and I think MUCH of what we have seen in the last few years is a lot like 'gouging' as, especially, pharmaceuticals have inflated thier prices out of concern that at some point there might be a "freeze" or somekind of "roll-back" and they want to show a history. As I've mentioned before, the growth of the new medical and pharmaceutical establishments is unbelievably strong and defies what seems to be an evident need of the population. BUT, there's money to be had! The government needs to address this, and I think the ACA does, although there has been considerable obstruction from from corporate lobbyist and their Congressional representatives.

A major concern for me, is the things in my past that I have experienced regarding those who cannot get insurance at any kind of fair cost. I've seen hundreds of laid-off workers who have faced catastrophic health insurance demands. You loose your employers health care, the cost of single-family plans is grossly expensive and debilitating to the point where it simply isn't possible. Likewise, if you get sick, especially in older age, and it will cost you a lifetime of savings. Or you simply can't afford the medicines, exams, the surgery and you just suffer until you diminish to the point where you die, leaving all the burden to your surviving family. I've seen far too many very hard working people who have died this way. It's not right and it sure as hell isn't fair. People who have worked their entire lifes and often face thier illnesses because of work conditions or factors need to be taken care of. Those who profitted off or their labors and then choose to take thier jobs away seem to be living just fine, can take those profits and pay for whatever healthcare THEY need, but the workers who were wasted get nothing and suffer the results. It's time this kind of thing is addressed and the ACA goes a long way towards correcting those wrongs.

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 10-07-2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I consider this the first answer.

You will be able to get health insurance now whereas before you were considered uninsurable. I'll call that a positive for now. After all, it's only a good thing if you can afford what will be offered for you.

Can I ask why you were considered uninsurable?
                        Because of all the injuries I sustained when in the service. Bad everything, lol. The way the doctors talk, I'll be surprised to see 50 without being in a wheelchair.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

My health insurance went up too but I'm not under "Obama Care" I'm on Blue Cross so who's to blame here? The regressives are naturally saying that ACA caused the increase. What really caused it is greedy insurance companies. I have no doubt that insurance companies will raise rates for as long as they possibly can until ACA shuts them down, but isn't that typical of the capitalist economy that the regressives are always hearalding. LOL
                          sigpic

Comment

During the thirty years I worked for Verizon and the last twelve I have been retired I never paid anything for my health insurance. Verizon is self insured, and also provided for my pension which I did not contribute towards. Since the affordable care act did not go into effect, I can't directly blame it for the $1600.00 I had to pay this year and the doubling of copays and tripling of meds. Verizon no longer offers any retirement benefits to new employees. In my opinion there will be plenty of institutions looking to cut costs and raise profits during this transition.

Comment

There is not one branch of government that runs efficiently. If you think putting the government in the mix between the hospitals, patients and insurance companies, you are delusional. It will not improve costs or efficiency.

Some may brag that their rates have actually gone down, but government subsidies cost us tax payers money by higher taxes. The money has to come from somewhere and the burden will be put on the middle class.

PS; The forum should add a thumbs down as well as the thanks button at the bottom of a post.
                              Last edited by johncameron; 10-07-2013, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Then again we have all seen what happens when government decides not to involve themselves in things. Well, those that study history do anyway. Understand that we have been down this road many times in our history. Change requires someone to make a bold move.

Some bold movers

Andrew Jackson
                                Abraham Lincoln
                                Teddy Roosevelt
                                Wodrow Wilson
                                Eisenhower
                                Kennedy
                                Johnson
                                Nixon
                                Clinton
                                Bush Jr.
                                Obama

Democrats and Republicans alike and the one thing they had in common is that their policies pissed about half the country off LOL

We are a pampered society. Short sighted and narrow minded. Most only see as far as their next meal and whats on the television.
                                Last edited by NHMaster3015; 10-07-2013, 01:24 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X