Affordable Care Act

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Affordable Care Act

If he is right, will it really matter to most of us?

So, we become a lesser power, maybe only number two behind China. What would that mean, that we withdraw our military might from the Pacific Rim, and would that cost burden mean something less or something more for us. Maybe we won't be able to afford to buy from China?... I doubt that, as China really needs to keep their masses as busy as possible.

Maybe it will mean huge unemployment, bigger than anything we've ever seen. At which case I'm sure we'll find something to do with the people, for certainly we need to keep our masses as busy as possible too.

We might even go so far as to think that maybe China will call in it's debt, but how would that help them or us? Maybe it would make our money, or those who have it, worth something... presently our Savings aren't worth a lot, as the Government has made borrowing cheaper than anything on record (I don't know that for sure though). I do know that interests on my Savings doesn't earn enough to buy a good dinner.

Maybe, U.S. companies would be called into to question the value of their Patriotism, in view of the wealth they have helped China build by oursourcing our jobs there. (Wouldn't that be something?)

What is the "DOOM" that Franki thinks would happen? OR that any of the "Right-thinkers" might entertain as happening. Maybe we could all enhance the value of the NRA, as some of us could find jobs making ammunition and guns, while the rest use them to take what we want.

But HISTORY tells me that we have been in much worse situations, and been at much less of a position to deal with it... and we not only survived, but overcame the crisis to become the global power that we are. Of course there was a lot less bickering then, than there is now.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      If he is right, will it really matter to most of us?

So, we become a lesser power, maybe only number two behind China. What would that mean, that we withdraw our military might from the Pacific Rim, and would that cost burden mean something less or something more for us. Maybe we won't be able to afford to buy from China?... I doubt that, as China really needs to keep their masses as busy as possible.

Maybe it will mean huge unemployment, bigger than anything we've ever seen. At which case I'm sure we'll find something to do with the people, for certainly we need to keep our masses as busy as possible too.

We might even go so far as to think that maybe China will call in it's debt, but how would that help them or us? Maybe it would make our money, or those who have it, worth something... presently our Savings aren't worth a lot, as the Government has made borrowing cheaper than anything on record (I don't know that for sure though). I do know that interests on my Savings doesn't earn enough to buy a good dinner.

Maybe, U.S. companies would be called into to question the value of their Patriotism, in view of the wealth they have helped China build by oursourcing our jobs there. (Wouldn't that be something?)

What is the "DOOM" that Franki thinks would happen? OR that any of the "Right-thinkers" might entertain as happening. Maybe we could all enhance the value of the NRA, as some of us could find jobs making ammunition and guns, while the rest use them to take what we want.

But HISTORY tells me that we have been in much worse situations, and been at much less of a position to deal with it... and we not only survived, but overcame the crisis to become the global power that we are. Of course there was a lot less bickering then, than there is now.

CWS

It won't matter to me, I'll be dead. It will however matter to my kids, my grandkids, my great grandkids and so on and so on. It seems silly that we talk about saving the environment for our children while we continue to bury them in debt. Someday it will matter to someone.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

We can get out of debt in a matter of seconds if we wanted too but we don't want too and we don't want too because there are powerful men and powerful influences attached to that debt.

Hey, what do you think the price of services and consumer goods, including gasoline would do if they raised the minimum wage to say 15 bucks an hour? You all know the answer and yet you continue to defend and back the very party that has supported the purveyors of such for the past hundred years or so. Conservatism they call it because that sounds a whole lot better than crooks. Lol. The only reason the GOP is against raising the wage standard is not because they are afraid of loosing money, but because folks are smarter these days and they know that the general public will quickly see them for the fine capitalist conservatives they really are.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          We can get out of debt in a matter of seconds if we wanted too but we don't want too and we don't want too because there are powerful men and powerful influences attached to that debt.

Hey, what do you think the price of services and consumer goods, including gasoline would do if they raised the minimum wage to say 15 bucks an hour? You all know the answer and yet you continue to defend and back the very party that has supported the purveyors of such for the past hundred years or so. Conservatism they call it because that sounds a whole lot better than crooks. Lol. The only reason the GOP is against raising the wage standard is not because they are afraid of loosing money, but because folks are smarter these days and they know that the general public will quickly see them for the fine capitalist conservatives they really are.
          We who?

As for the minimum wage, I don't care either way anymore. The other day when the fast food workers went on strike asking for $15.00 per hour I got a chuckle. Imagine a world with fast food workers getting $15 per hour and full bennies. That would be a financial bonanza to some of the sit down restaurants. With the exception of time spent, the closer fast food costs get to real food cost, the less business fast food will have. I'm already paying about the same price at Chilis for a bowl of soup and a sandwich as what a Big Mac Combo would cost at McDonalds.

Mark

Comment

I'm SORRY GUYS I,M GONNA HAVE TO CLOSE THIS THREAD ! HE HE
            Last edited by toolaholic; 12-10-2013, 09:44 AM. Reason: I'M AN OLD CRAZY MAN
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ya had us go'in there, very funny! I don't like being thought of as a "glass, half empty" sort of guy, in person I'm actually quite positive and inspirational Really I guess time will tell, unfortunately as I see things with the economy both with folks, and the different levels of our government (fed, states, and cities) I'm just not very encouraged. I'm still waiting for Bob to sort all this out, the trouble make!

Comment

nice one.

Mark, what I'm trying to get across is that no matter how high they raise minimum wage I don't think anyone believs that the corporations are going to settle for less profit margin. They'll just raise prices across the board for all goods and services.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm for raising the min. wage, because then there will be more taxes being paid by the lower class, less people will able to get government freebies, I can raise my prices & increase my margins.

Comment

I have to admit that I'm pretty mixed about raising the minimum wage, especially to what some deem as a "living wage". From my own experience, and also observations over the years, I simply don't see "minimum wage" as an "living wage". Really, has it ever been a wage in which one is expected to actually live on, and should it be?

Minimum wage back in 1963, was $1.25. You surely couldn't live on that, as even if you could get in forty hours a week, that only amounts to $50... and after taxes, you'd be lucky to get $35. Back then, my first official job was as a bus boy in a department store restaurant and I only worked 32 hours a week, taking home about $28. First pay check I asked my parents what they wanted for "room and board" and I got socked with $17 a week... that left me with $11 for my labors. In January, I got a job in a factory, and because I could read a micrometer, I landed a job as a mechanical assembly inspector for $1.35 an hour. Best thing for me was that, with my skill set, I could not only inspect, but could also draw and was set to doing mechanical analysis in the development lab as well as on the assembly line. By August I was working two shifts with weekends (every other Sunday off).. .that's 87-1/2 a week. I loved it and managed to sock enough cash away to buy new clothes, a couple of sport coats, and a fairly expensive suit. That got me a job in the HQ office of a big insurance company, where I learned to be a computer maintenance clerk in a IBM 1401 Data Center.... $85 a week. By spring of 1965, I bought a brand new VW. Preparation, ambition and a heck of a lot of good luck for sure.

But even with gas at 28-cents a gallon and hamburgers at 15-cents, you surely couldn't "live" on even that. Even a small two room apartment would cost you $60 a month. My car payment (36-months) was $65 and at $85 a week, my take-home was barely $60. Bottom line is that minimum wage is a starting wage, for a young person.... it isn't designed to provide a living for anyone!

And, I don't think it should be! Afterall, it's NOT the employers fault, or their customers fault that you have little to no skill. Putting burgers in bag, dirty dishes in a tub, or whatever, isn't a job requiring any kind of skill and I don't think anyone deserves to be paid a "living wage" just for showing up.

Now, I'm sure this is the "conservative" part of me speaking, but come on, you want to survive in the world you have to start somewhere. Learn a good work ethic and a good work history. The minimum wage pays you for that effort, and it give your employer a fair chance and opportunity to provide you with that chance. You demand a higher wage, then that means he has to wage price dramatically and if prices raise dramatically, then that means you really can't afford, even with your increase to buy food there... and that is supposed to be the cheapest food in town. The results is that you just created more inflation than your skill set (or lack of skill) can be employed for. It is a never ending circle.

People need to recognize that young people have to start somewhere, nothing is free, and nothing should come so easy that you don't appreciate the need to work for it. Maybe that's part of the problem in this country... too many are expecting a handout, without a personal investment.

NO man or women should be in a minimum wage job by their late 20's and certainly not in the latter years of their work life. If they are, then something other than the "minimum wage" should be addressed. And YES, I understand about loosing your job, or that one might loose their husband and now have to find a job a age 60. To that we should address, and perhaps there should be two or more levels of "wage" setting, but even then, there a jobs that just don't require skills, and should we have to pay for a person's delinquency in providing for themselves a "value"?

CWS

Comment

If we had a thriving economy with plenty of jobs, requiring diverse skills then I would agree that folks need to start at the bottom and minimum skill jobs should not require such pay raises as we are seeing requested. What we have is a failing economy, with very few jobs and folks who have lost skilled jobs, or who are returning to the workplace after losing their life savings taking the only jobs they can find. The "unskilled" jobs are not being filled by teenagers, open your eyes people! There are folks who are supporting families, or themselves, who are not returning to school, they are trying to survive. I would like to end this by saying give them a living wage but I can't. I now believe to give them that vital pay raise would only serve to standup the domino, only to knock it down again as inflation devours any gain.
                      Society must look beyond the bandaid fix, beyond the multiple small fires, and see what is behind our economic problems. In my opinion the price of gasoline is a major problem. Folks earning minimum wage are hit the hardest at the pump, they can't pass that cost onto anyone as can a business owner. They can't afford to cut back on other expenditures as folks who are earning higher wages. If the cost of gasoline and diesel was cut in half, the trickle down benefits would also reduce the prices at all the stores. I don't have all the answers, but I am sure that some things need to be controlled, there needs to be some cap on essential commodities. Our society probably won't collapse if the price of coffe, or sugar goes sky high, but the same can't be said of refined oil products.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        nice one.

Mark, what I'm trying to get across is that no matter how high they raise minimum wage I don't think anyone believs that the corporations are going to settle for less profit margin. They'll just raise prices across the board for all goods and services.
                        I would not expect a corporation to settle for less of a profit margin anymore then I would any business owner on this forum. The higher pay will bring in more qualified employees so there will probably be a big turn over at first. The consumer will pay more money and many of the small business will fail. The only ones it will really hurt are employees who will lose their jobs and those relying on inexpensive product.

Mark

Comment

Does anyone know why this would occur? (Involves healthcare, so I put it in this thread.)

Major ambulance service shuts down without notice in six states - U.S. News

By M. Alex Johnson, Staff Writer, NBC News
                          A private ambulance service that transported more than a half-million patients a year in six states abruptly shut down without explanation, leaving dozens of cities and towns scrambling for medical transportation options this week without a word of warning.
                          First Med EMS, based in Wilmington, N.C., served hospitals and other medical facilities in more than 70 municipalities in Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. It operated under the names TransMed, Life Ambulance and MedCorp, boasting in publicity materials: "We take pride in our performance and the safety of our patients. We refuse to compromise on this."
                          First Med's website was inaccessible Tuesday, and calls to corporate offices either reached disconnected lines or weren't answered. Company workers said in Facebook posts and tweets that they were told the corporation had declared bankruptcy, but no bankruptcy documents were yet on file in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina.
                          Advertise | AdChoices

Related: Lawsuit filed against shuttered ambulance service that stranded hospitals in six states
                          First Med was the largest EMS service in Ohio, where at least 1,500 paramedics and other medical workers were left jobless in Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Toledo, Cincinnati, Youngstown and numerous smaller towns.
                          First Med also provided services in Richmond, Norfolk and Newport News in Virginia, as well as Wilmington, N.C.
                          Much of First Med's business was "non-emergent" transportation — such as taking dialysis patients to their weekly treatments and shuttling nursing home patients to doctors' appointments — and officials in some cities said there should be little impact on patient treatment.
                          "The unfortunate thing was lack of notice," Larry Stephens, ambulance service director for Camden Clark Medical Center in Parkersburg, W.Va., told NBC station WTAP. "They closed up shop on Friday, and people were scrambling to get to their appointments all weekend, plus early this week."
                          Many of the company's approximately 2,300 employees learned about the shutdown from colleagues. When they tried to show up for work Saturday, they found locked doors.

"I found out on Facebook and from a co-worker that I no longer had a job," Stacey Carpenter, a First Med dispatcher in Wilmington, told NBC station WECT. "I am absolutely devastated. I don't know what I am going to do."
                          Dispatch services in several cities reported that First Med called them Friday night and Saturday to stop all requests for emergency runs. Workers who were in the middle of their shifts were told to turn around and go home.
                          "We didn't know what to do," Derek Griffin, an emergency medical technician in Hopewell, Va., told NBC station WWBT of Richmond.
                          "They told us to turn our truck in, to turn our equipment in. That was it," he said. "It was done so shadily and so behind closed doors."
                          Medical facilities said the shutdown took them by surprise, too, and at least one county — Bertie County, N.C. — declared a state of emergency at noon Monday. The county board of commissioners said in a statement that it would pursue legal claims against First Med.

Comment

That ambulance company shut down because of the impending costs they will face to comply with the affordable care act. They were running at a near loss over the past 5 years due to the economy and there is the untold thousands of trips this company provides to patients that never see payment.

If you're running at a nearly no profit margin, sue all you want; there won't be nothing to sue. How much fuel, insurance, maintenance costs go into just one day of operating such a business.

There are a lot of different businesses shutting down as a result of new changes coming in January 2014. This is going to get quite ugly soon. More of this will show up in the coming months.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Just for interest how much does a big mac large fries and a large diet coke cost at Maca`s in the US

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                                Just for interest how much does a big mac large fries and a large diet coke cost at Maca`s in the US

Tony
                                It varies a bunch but the average is said to be $6.64.

McDonalds Big Mac Meal prices

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X