Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Affordable Care Act

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    Training and education does not require available jobs. Civil work is easy to provide except that the unions fight it every time. It sure seemed to have worked for Roosevelt. Childcare is already in place to assist the working poor and students. Obama gave States the opportunity to remove the work requirement from the welfare reform bill that Clinton implemented. Now there is no real incentive for those who want to stay on welfare. Some of the listed reasons for not requiring a recipient to work now include, bed rest, personal care activities, massage, exercise, journaling, motivational reading, smoking cessation, weight loss promotion, participating in parent teacher meetings and helping a friend or relative with household tasks and errands. It's not that these items are not important, it that they should not be an excuse for not working.

Mark
    Point made and point taken, but as I keep hearing about many disturbing situations, "it is what it is". Mark, it's not just the little children who need care and a watchful eye. Many of the folks entering the job market or returning after their jobs have been outsourced, or after they have been victimized and lost their investments, have children that don't qualify for childcare (teens). We have irresponsible adults and teens who need adult supervision complicating an already messed up situation. I feel any suggestion by us to resolve these unsustainable, dysfunctonal problems will never come to pass. What should happen to fix things does not, and as a result these situations continue to worsen. We are left with serious problems and nothing being done to fix any of them. Good ideas are useless if not acted upon. Do you foresee anything changing for the better? I don't.

Comment

Give a man a fish you have fed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you have fed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
        Give a man a fish you have fed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you have fed him for a lifetime.
        Very true, unfortunately there are no teachers, no willing students and the fish have been caught by poachers!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Point made and point taken, but as I keep hearing about many disturbing situations, "it is what it is". Mark, it's not just the little children who need care and a watchful eye. Many of the folks entering the job market or returning after their jobs have been outsourced, or after they have been victimized and lost their investments, have children that don't qualify for childcare (teens). We have irresponsible adults and teens who need adult supervision complicating an already messed up situation. I feel any suggestion by us to resolve these unsustainable, dysfunctonal problems will never come to pass. What should happen to fix things does not, and as a result these situations continue to worsen. We are left with serious problems and nothing being done to fix any of them. Good ideas are useless if not acted upon. Do you foresee anything changing for the better? I don't.
          I do see things changing but not under this administration. Clinton actually did a lot to make things better, Obama reversed those improvements. Someday will wake up to the fact that it is not sustainable. Hopefully we will not become like a third world country before that happens.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Very true, unfortunately there are no teachers, no willing students and the fish have been caught by poachers!
            Not true, there will always be teachers. We all have the abillity to be teachers. Good teachers will always find willing students. The poachers is where we run into trouble.

Mark

Comment

Clinton actually did a lot to make things better,
              Mark
              Do you mean like NAFTA?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                Do you mean like NAFTA?
                No I mean "The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996".

Mark

Comment

Frank, why do you always find the negative in everything ?
                  The world is not coming to an end.
                  Try thinking like Donald Southerland in Kelly's Heroes

There are jobs out there people just need to apply themselves more.
                  My wife is studying to become an RN to help take care of me as my Ankylosing Spondylitis gets worse.
                  After she finished her Phlebotomy courses a hospital offered her a job.
                  They sought her out she did ask them for a job.
                  If you apply yourself you can succeed. You just need to make the effort.

If you work @ Mickey D's & don't do a good job & don't make the effort to find better employment then you be will stuck in a job that pays min. wage.
                  That is your fault not society's.

My medical condition is causing me to die a slow painful death, but I still work 12 hours a day 6 -7 a week.
                  My financial situation is that I no longer have to work to live comfortably, but I do anyway.
                  I could lay around & dwell on how bad I feel or I can get up & do something productive.
                  I choose to be productive, but I focus on what I can & want to do instead of what I think I can't do.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                    Frank, why do you always find the negative in everything ?
                    The world is not coming to an end.
                    Try thinking like Donald Southerland in Kelly's Heroes

There are jobs out there people just need to apply themselves more.
                    My wife is studying to become an RN to help take care of me as my Ankylosing Spondylitis gets worse.
                    After she finished her Phlebotomy courses a hospital offered her a job.
                    They sought her out she did ask them for a job.
                    If you apply yourself you can succeed. You just need to make the effort.

If you work @ Mickey D's & don't do a good job & don't make the effort to find better employment then you be will stuck in a job that pays min. wage.
                    That is your fault not society's.

My medical condition is causing me to die a slow painful death, but I still work 12 hours a day 6 -7 a week.
                    My financial situation is that I no longer have to work to live comfortably, but I do anyway.
                    I could lay around & dwell on how bad I feel or I can get up & do something productive.
                    I choose to be productive, but I focus on what I can & want to do instead of what I think I can't do.
                    I was hoping as I read your post that the disease you mentioned was said in jest, and not a real and serious thing. I did an Internet search and learned a bit about your condition, and you have my compassion and concern. I wish you could know me as I am in my everday life and not as I doom and gloom about the economy, and society. I have herniated discs of the neck and lower back and degenerative disc disease. There is no calcification as in your case, but the pain is chronic and debilitating. In spite of my pain, I push myself to work around the house and property including working on my roof ( I also have menieres disease which affects balance). I have had thirteen major abdominal surgeries since I was a kid. I also push myself to exercise at least four times a week at the gym and I push as much as the young guys. I motivate and inspire the people in my life, my daughters and now my thirteen year old nephew and sixteen year old niece who are living with us since their Mom passed away. I encourage people to push past momentary upset, defeat, loss, depression, and anticipate better times. I motivate others to eat healthy, exercise, love and enjoy life "seize the moment"! My positive attitude does get challenged, but I persevere and give thanks for all I have. My posts on the economy, including entitlements, jobs, personal responsibility and the behavior of our elected officials, reflect what I have read, seen and believe to be true. I don't see the effort to change these things for the better and I learned a long time ago that for things to change you gotta change! You and I share a drive to work past our health issues rather than give up wait for death. I don't see that drive from our legislators to correct the damage to our economy, the debt, the jobs, the entitlements. My doom and gloom is born from frustration and extrapolation, not personal negative attitude. I'm familiar with that movie and the clip, are you familiar with the movie the shawshank redemption? Rememberr the line" Get busy living, or get busy dying"? Well, our country in general needs to get busy living, we need able bodied men and women to work jobs that will support their families. We need young people to be healthy not obese. We need legislators that do what is best for the country and not their political party. MR. FUDD, I live every day as if it is my last, and don't believe in pity parties, but when it comes to these posts I am a realist.

Comment

Not true, there will always be teachers. We all have the abillity to be teachers. Good teachers will always find willing students. The poachers is where we run into trouble.

Mark
                      If you have a child, you are a teacher. If you plan on having a child, you will become a teacher. We are all teachers. It's what has allowed humans to evolve and survive.

I too the son of a farmer cannot remember a time when I did not work. The biggest tragedy of this generation is that we teach them facts but rarely do we teach them the value, both economic and self enrichment of work. Work is zen. Hands guided by skill and experience free the mind to explore.
                      sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=ToUtahNow;409663]See it shows what you know about people. My parents were poor when I was growing up so I have worked at one job or another since I was 11-years old. My parents didn't have money for me to go to college so I made sure I sent all six of my kids to college. I am high school educated but have been taking various college classes over the last 28-years. I started when I had a daughter who wanted to take college classes at night while still attending high school. I didn't want her to go alone and I had to drive her anyways.

These jobs are jobs meant for what you classified as juniors. The problem is the juniors have been pushed out by the illegal aliens and now the working poor. These jobs were never meant to pay a living wage. You pay your juniors $7.89 per hour, our minimum wage is $8.00 per hour but has been approved to be increased to $10 per hour. I have no issues with the government helping the working poor but we have a system which awards you for not working and penalizes you for being the working poor. Our entitlements programs should mandate training, education and civil work rather than just a handout. President Bush help pass a welfare reform act which president Clinton implemented. Obama has now used what he has called "Executive Orders" to tear it apart.

By the way, egalitarian is defines as equal, not rewarded at the cost of others.

Mark

I never said your parents were rich Mark I said you had a good upbringing your parents taught you values and gave you a good education even though you didn`t go to what you call college which I assume is University I also assume you parents didn`t divoice and were brought up by a single parent your parents gave you the foundations to build a successfull life which millions didn`t there is an old saying we carn`t all be cheifs there has to be indians and these indians have to be payed a reasonable wage to live on

Tony

Comment

Low wages, poor education, illegal aliens, heck-even healthcare is not the worst problems in the U.S.

The major problem in the U.S. is the breakdown of the traditional American family. Period.

All the other problems are affected & compounded by that.

Comment

Though I agree that the breakdown of the traditional family and the displacement of "juniors" in the workforce are detrimental to our society, I think our worst problem is globalization and it's cause (greed).
                            Build a better mouse trap and expect economic rewards (if someone else doesn't steal the idea). Take advantage of cheaper labor offshore (without adding even the smallest innovation) and expect the same economic rewards.
                            Last edited by Plumbus; 12-14-2013, 03:34 PM.

Comment

No I mean "The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996".

Mark
                              Cracking down on deadbeat fathers is a laudable activity, but I hardly call it something future presidential historians will be singing praises to.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                                Cracking down on deadbeat fathers is a laudable activity, but I hardly call it something future presidential historians will be singing praises to.
                                If we really want to crackdown on deadbeat dads, and criminals in general there should be a national DNA database! I find it hard to think of former President clinton and personal responsibility in the same sentence, big disappointment and disgrace in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X