X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Affordable Care Act

Mixed results for me. Saw fairly significant increases in the last couple of years which the insurance co blamed on the ACA. I was actually thinking of looking around for another plan due to the out of control cost when they decided to pull out of offering personal insurance in the state of CA. My new insurance is with the same insurance company under a new group plan and I pay about 25% of what I paid before for comparable coverage. I believe the rate reduction in part is due to the fact I have no medical conditions that require regular treatment and enrolling in the new plan allowed them to revisit my medical history and undertake a new risk assessment. My plan has nothing to do with the ACA and there are no taxpayer subsidies involved in my rate reduction just to be clear.

Comment

How will The Affordable Care Act affect you?
      Financially?
      Better or worse insurance for you per dollar spent?

1. It won't
      2. Doesn't apply, see #1
      3. Doesn't apply, see #1
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
        How will The Affordable Care Act affect you?
        Financially?
        Better or worse insurance for you per dollar spent?
        Affect me? - It forces me to spend money I have no wish to spend. I pay for my health care, in full, on an as needed basis.
        Financially? - It's a tax, how do taxes affect anyone? And if you don't pay it you get penalized.
        Better or worse? - Worse. No question about it.
        Last edited by Plumber Punky; 10-07-2013, 08:47 PM. Reason: Obama sux
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
          Affect me? - It forces me to spend money I have no wish to spend. I pay for my health care, in full, on an as needed basis.
          Financially? - It's a tax, how do taxes affect anyone? And if you don't pay it you get penalized.
          Better or worse? - Worse. No question about it.
          Hopefully there will never be a day when you can't afford to pay the expenses out of your pocket. But when it comesit will drain you financially and it will take a long time to recover.

Example; Many years ago I was at home and I banged my elbow hard and ended up getting an infection that almost killed me. Didn't happen at work so no workmans comp. Happened on a sunday afternoon. A little later my elbow is swelling up pretty good. I put some ice on it and go back to watching the football game with my arm elevated. I go to sleep and the swelling is down by then and i figure the worse is over. Work up next morning and my whole arm is swollen and red. Skin is so tight it looks like a balloon ready to pop. I miss work and go to the ER. They tell me I got some sort of staff infection, don't remember the name of it now, and if I had waited a few more hours I would probably be near death since it was in my left arm and close to my heart. Long story short that day theynoperate on me to remove the bursa in my elbow which was infected and couldn't be saved. I wake up in recovery with a line directly to my aorta with a couple tubes hanging out of my chest over my heart. For the next month i am out of work. I have to go every day, weekends included, to get an iv drip of some antibiotic where i sit in a chair for about 20 minutes.

So thankfullt I had health insurance and it paid for 95% of it. I lost a months work which was not covered, but I'm still alive to complain aboutnhaving to pay for health insurance. If I had not has insurance, and had to pick up the total bill, it would have hit me for over $85,000 . I'm pretty sure my premium was well spent.

And that's only one injury.

I know you're sure you will never get hurt working or at home. But I'm not. So I would like you to sign a waiver that says you will pay that entire ER bill when you do show up there, and any related followup expenses, including a CAT scan and all those reasonably priced drugs they will prescribe for you. Also promise not to sue someone who does have insurance to cover your injuries that are your fault.

Could you do that for me and everyone else who chooses to pay for their health insurance please?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

My last hospital bill was a week's stay for $19,000. It's been paid.

No one says you're obligated to take the 'reasonably priced drugs' that are prescribed. I'm not a huge drug fan nor believe that most are really required. I'll sign any waiver as soon as a waiver is required for all the people who have already entitlements such as welfare.

What kind of a retard would sue someone else for something he himself caused?

I dont ask for anything from anyone nor do I expect to be forced to pay for something I dont want. I pay all my stuff, in full and on time. The gubment should just leave me the hell alone. Maybe I'll just work for $1 a year and then become an entitlement folk. It works for those lazies so why cant it work for me...
            ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
              My last hospital bill was a week's stay for $19,000. It's been paid.

No one says you're obligated to take the 'reasonably priced drugs' that are prescribed. I'm not a huge drug fan nor believe that most are really required. I'll sign any waiver as soon as a waiver is required for all the people who have already entitlements such as welfare.

What kind of a retard would sue someone else for something he himself caused
              ?

I dont ask for anything from anyone nor do I expect to be forced to pay for something I dont want. I pay all my stuff, in full and on time. The gubment should just leave me the hell alone. Maybe I'll just work for $1 a year and then become an entitlement folk. It works for those lazies so why cant it work for me...
              I get what you're saying, (in red above) but this happens all the time. Guy comes to your house to repair a roof, is uninsured, then falls and is declared disabled, his mailbox will fill up with lawyers wanting to represent him to sue YOU.

Comment

I should chime in since I started the thread.

How will it affect me?
                It will force me to purchase health insurance whereas in the past I have been insured at times and uninsured at times. Now I will be punished if I elect to be uninsured. Not sure I care for that. Some people have become uninsured in the past because they felt they could self insure (Pay for whatever) or just couldn't afford their premiums at the time.

Financially?
                About the same. The insurances offered through the state's "Health Insurance Exchange" required by the Affordable Healthcare Act seem to be about the same as private insurance from BCBS. They're reasonably close.

Better or worse insurance for me per dollar spent?
                On paper, it looks about the same. But I've been fortunate enough to not really have to use it. So, I can't really comment on actual performance.

Sometimes I do get confused about whether I should "upgrade" or "downgrade" insurance. It's like comparing cell phone plans to me. I need a JitterBug.

Premium
                Deductibles
                Co-pays
                Percentages
                In Network
                Out of Network
                HSA
                HDHP
                Prescription Drugs
                Prescription Deductibles

My choices, if anyone has positive or negative experiences, are:

Aetna
                Coventry One
                Blue Cross
                United Health One

Blue Cross is not in the "Exchange" set up by the state so I assume to refer to it as "private insurance".

(I know it's all "private". But it is NOT listed in the exchange.)

Comment

The single largest issue I see with the Obama Care is the fact that a family making $94,000 per year is eligible for reductions in their rates. I believe the median income is around $54,000 in the US. The reduction in premiums has to come from somewhere, guess where, your taxes. A co-worker went to the Obama Care web site and put in their information to see what would happen. A family policy now, it is okay not Cadillac for sure, costs our company $885 per month, we pay about half of that out of our pocket, company pays the difference. Under the Obama Care plan it was $1286 per month for nearly the same coverage, the co-pays were slightly higher, and they didn't qualify for any reductions because they are above the $94,000. Here is a real kicker, another co-worker, he is part time and fairly well off, can stop working here, and if he and his wife file separately on taxes, they can each collect $60,000 per year from dividends, etc. and will be eligible for $235 per month policy, since only a fraction of dividends and capital gains are considered as your taxable income. Another loop hole likely written in the Act in case congress/ House got stuck in the program? Speculation on the last sentence.
                  So, from these experiences, I see a 33 % increase in policy payment on average, a few loop holes that again will give the more wealthy a gain, and the specter of huge tax increases to cover the reductions a LOT of families will be getting based on their household incomes. When you factor in the government's incredible lack of ability to manage anything of significance, it really scares me. The consumer economy will take another blow, this accounts for 70 % of the GPD by the way, since the majority of citizens will attempt to do the right thing, which will severely limit their budget and slow spending on anything else.

Comment

What kind of a retard would sue someone else for something he himself
                    caused?
                    Are you kidding? I think half this country operates on the premise that they can sue (and with a favorable jury) and win just about any suit they may bring for whatever reason. Look at some of the ridiculous awards that have been handed out over the past couple years alone.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

I get what you're saying, (in red above) but this happens all the time. Guy comes to your house to repair a roof, is uninsured, then falls and is declared disabled, his mailbox will fill up with lawyers wanting to represent him to sue YOU.

zackly right.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Hopefully there will never be a day when you can't afford to pay the expenses out of your pocket. But when it comesit will drain you financially and it will take a long time to recover.

Example; Many years ago I was at home and I banged my elbow hard and ended up getting an infection that almost killed me. Didn't happen at work so no workmans comp. Happened on a sunday afternoon. A little later my elbow is swelling up pretty good. I put some ice on it and go back to watching the football game with my arm elevated. I go to sleep and the swelling is down by then and i figure the worse is over. Work up next morning and my whole arm is swollen and red. Skin is so tight it looks like a balloon ready to pop. I miss work and go to the ER. They tell me I got some sort of staff infection, don't remember the name of it now, and if I had waited a few more hours I would probably be near death since it was in my left arm and close to my heart. Long story short that day theynoperate on me to remove the bursa in my elbow which was infected and couldn't be saved. I wake up in recovery with a line directly to my aorta with a couple tubes hanging out of my chest over my heart. For the next month i am out of work. I have to go every day, weekends included, to get an iv drip of some antibiotic where i sit in a chair for about 20 minutes.

So thankfullt I had health insurance and it paid for 95% of it. I lost a months work which was not covered, but I'm still alive to complain aboutnhaving to pay for health insurance. If I had not has insurance, and had to pick up the total bill, it would have hit me for over $85,000 . I'm pretty sure my premium was well spent.

And that's only one injury.

I know you're sure you will never get hurt working or at home. But I'm not. So I would like you to sign a waiver that says you will pay that entire ER bill when you do show up there, and any related followup expenses, including a CAT scan and all those reasonably priced drugs they will prescribe for you. Also promise not to sue someone who does have insurance to cover your injuries that are your fault.

Could you do that for me and everyone else who chooses to pay for their health insurance please?
                        Don't want to take this thread off track from the original purpose but I just heard from a friend whose son had to be hospitalized due to breathing problems/Asthma and thought of this thread. 4 days in hospital = $26K.

Comment

There is a comeuppance to robbery, not gonna say what it should be, but it's coming to that.

Comment

It is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the one hired is properly insured. It's also the owner's responsibility to insure the worker if he is not (translates to "i agree to cover the losses of the uninsured while they work on my premises") . Here I believe it's a law (but don't quote me on that). Lawyers are not the problem in this case. Ignorance of the rules is.
                            ~~

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                              There is a comeuppance to robbery, not gonna say what it should be, but it's coming to that.
                              Prostate stimulation with a barb wire electric fencer unit?
                              ~~

Comment

If you hire anyone to work at your house and dont get a insurance certificate from them, you deserve it.
                                26+6=1

Comment

Working...
                                X