X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Firearm Eye Candy

I'm a firm believer in one shot-one kill, especially when it comes to hunting. The animal need not suffer in the pursuit of filling the freezer. Don't get me started on the people who empty the gun, filling the air with lead in the hopes of something being hit so they can track it for 15 miles.

This year was supposed to be a banner year for business, not my business, the 'other guy I worked for', but now costs are tight as running my own has made it that way. So, a new firearm and scope were not in the plan. Old faithful #2, an Ithaca 12 ga. model 37 Deerslayer, was polished, had the receiver drilled, and had a scope mounted. The scope is a Burris Eliminator laser rangefinder. It calculates distance, displays it on the lens, and then illuminates on the reticle where you need to aim based upon your distance and the cartridge inputted at programming (I used Remington 12 ga, 2.75" 1oz slug).

I'll tell you what, at a distance of 53.5 yards I can put consistent holes in a barrel in a tea-cup sized area. And it's not on a bench rest as suggested in the manual. (Who has a bench rest while hunting?) With this kind of accuracy on an old slug gun I may not even buy another shotgun. (I did like a Benelli 12 ga sabot gun.) When I come right down to it, I've shot all my deer under 50 yards. Measured out, and over the scope of a slug gun, 50+ yards looks huge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fe21f81af722c0cf3664858375b03fa4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	17886
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Re: Some Firearm Eye Candy

[QUOTE=Plumber Punky;406592]I'm a firm believer in one shot-one kill, especially when it comes to hunting. ........QUOTE]

+1 If you can't fire a kill shot with the first shot you shouldn't have taken that shot to begin with. When deer hunting I have a round in the chamber and one in the magazine. The one in the magazine is basically there for backup in case the one in the chamber doesn't go off and after safely expelling it I still have time to shoot again. Seriously, I can't remember the last time I took more than one shot at a deer but that's not to say that on occasion I haven't jerked the trigger and missed.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I used to hunt with a 45.70 Trapdoor Springfield. It was either one shot / one kill or go home hungry.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

When I was younger I never used a gun deer hunting at the local bar.....
        But then many times I went home alone.

Cactus Man

Comment

don't think I have ever seen a scoped shot gun before,

Question? how much drop is in a slug, that( size and type) in 50 yards,
          how far out is a slug good for generally?
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

dang i thought i was on the deer hunting forum
            I do like your scope punky !!
            My cross bow is is killer at 50 yrds
            My slug gun of choice is a 20 ga single shot bull barrel H&R with a 50mm Leupold scope
            I have it dead on at a 100 yrds 150 is not out of the ?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	fc71d1206174b6dc90b87943f9d3cb34.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	6873

From the bottom up:

Winchester Model 94 30-06
              Weatherby Mark V - 240 Weatherby Mag
              Weatherby FiberMark - 300 Weatherby Mag
              Weatherby WeatherMark - 300 Weatherby Mag (with new AccuMark stock)
              Weatherby AccuMark - 338/378 Weatherby Mag
              Weatherby AccuMark - 300 Weatherby Mag

Mark
              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 10-17-2013, 11:34 PM.
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

hey mark, that looks like my k-60 collection

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

OK, any one of those (above postings) could have been written by me,(except for cactusman--I always went home alone ) So, I have to ask the question--Why do we "NEED" a 30 round clip?

Comment

Zombies....
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                      OK, any one of those (above postings) could have been written by me,(except for cactusman--I always went home alone ) So, I have to ask the question--Why do we "NEED" a 30 round clip?
                      because a 5 round hunting clip will not hold 30 rounds, and deer do not shoot back
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        Zombies....
                        I also personally see no need for large capacity clips but that was funny!
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have no need for large capacity magazines but will admit I bought some just before California banned them. That said, I don't believe they should be illegal to own.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                            don't think I have ever seen a scoped shot gun before,

Question? how much drop is in a slug, that( size and type) in 50 yards,
                            how far out is a slug good for generally?

According to the box the slugs come in they zero at 50 yards.

From the muzzle/0, 25, 50, 75, 100 yards; inches drop are as follows:

-1.5, -.1, 0, -1.4, -4.8

I dont feel I can make a reliable shot at more than 50 yards so that's my limit. This slug is probably good to 100 yards. I have taken shots with rifled shotguns at 100 yards.

I'll get a picture of my Remington 700 up here soon, too. The shoulder cannon...
                            Last edited by Plumber Punky; 10-17-2013, 07:50 PM.
                            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                              I don't own a gun with a 30 round clip but can understand why some do. I think the 30 round clip my brother owns inserts into AR15, maybe it's a Daniels Defense rifle? Empty a 30 round clip of .308's and you will be grinning for a while. A 30 round clip is no different than saving for a rainy day. If you ever need it it's there.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X