X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my latest build, Post driver,

I thought I needed a post driver, so the last few weeks on and off I built one,
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: my latest build, Post driver,

the mast extends and can tilt right and left and front and back.
    Attached Files
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Very impressive.

Comment

BHD,

Thanks for the post.

Excellent! Is that something you copied from seeing other post drivers, or did you make modifications as you saw necessary. I have no familiarity there, but looking at the mechanism it appears to be very well laid out.

I'm quite impressed by your shop and certainly your capabilities! Did all this come about from your work experience over the years?

CWS

Comment

my normal design process, is to see what is out there, look at pictures and videos, see what features I think I need and what makes it work

many of my builds I have never been around a working machine,

on this I had originally considered a different tilt system, it would have been more complication and most likely weaker, and limited the extending mast idea,

I had actually bought or accumulated most of the materials when I saw the design, I went with my sliding one of the lower three point arms, for side tilt and the top link adjustable, (most top links are adjustable manually), and had considered using manual adjustments for the tilt sides to side and tilt back and forth, but got figuring if one was having to manually adjust, if I had hired help the chances of it being adjusted would most likely be minimal, especially if I was not helping, and at first I did not figure that it would not be much of an issue as most of my ground is what most would call flat, until I talked to friend who use one, and he made the statement, what ever you do get one that has a good tilt system,
          so I altered my design and ordered two more valves and cylinders for the tilt system,

I used through bolt stacked valves, (so if I need to add to it I could, and I did, only losing a bolt kit, in the change,

in this process that helped as I did not have a pivot point that would interfere with the extending mast,

one of the problems one drivers that do not have extending masts is that taller posts still need a hole dug to get them to fit under the driver, so I made the unit so I could get in the shop, and under a few gates that have a wire over the top, and yet could easily drive a 10 foot tall post if wanted,

the weight is about 350 pounds, at one time it was a ripper shank for a old Cat dozer,

I made the cage around the post follower, to help keep ones hand off the impact area, I could see a absent minded moment or if two persons were working, how an accident, cold happen, thus the guard, on the follower.

I usably blend a number of ideas, for my final product, and some times it is drive by what I can find for materials to use,

in this build 60% or more was new, (I have found that getting what you need is many times better than trying to make some thing work just because you have it),

the Hydraulics were bought from surplus center, in Lincoln Nebraska,

the cost of the unit was.. guessing about $16 to $1700. new manufacture would have been $4500 to $7000 depending on manufacturer and features, and that is with out shipping,

About $225 for each hydraulic cylinder used, (valve hoses and cylinder and fitting), there were four cylinders total,
          the steel was $600
          EBay (pulleys, and nylon rope, and a few other parts) about $125

$900 hydraulics
          $600 steel,
          $125 other,
          $1625 is a close guess,

on the shop, most all the equipment is old, and reasonable wore out,

98% of the welding was done on a old century welder with a external DC conversion unit, I used about 20 pounds od rod on the project, most was 7018, a few beads were done with my portable welder after assembly.

the lathe is a pre WW2, and the Bridgeport is probably the most expensive machine ad I payed about $2500, for it when I bought it, close to 1 years ago at least, it is well worn as well, but more than usable for my needs, (my opinion, if your going to get a mill get a full size machine), I considered the drill mills when I bough mine but glad I got what I got, when I did,

and I am basically self taught on the shop, work, besides some high school shop classes, 40+ years ago, most all has been by trial and error and books,

normally on my "Plans", just a basic over all dimensions are posted, and if there are critical dimensions there posted and then the drawings are usally drawn and reasonably proportional,

I had three basic measurements I need to work with,
          One was the spread and height of a category 2 three point,
          the second was 10' as that was length of tube I had for the mast,
          and third was, the extension cylinder, I bought from surplus center, Diameter and length, (the size of tube it would fit into, and how much extension I could get and then how to make it work, from the height of the weight. and post follower gave me the length of weigh drop I cold get, then the arm to raise the weight was designed, then how much room did I have to make the arm work, the length of cylinder was chosen,

I was happy to find the cylinder I did for the extension, as it had a bottom poet and was mounted near the top, so the mast I made a plate that would let the cylinder go through and a top push plate, and welded the cylinder mount to the mast and then a extension, so if it bottomed out it would not leave the weight on the cylinder, and since that was all enclosed, it should be well protected,

on the mast it self it rides on the mast and the weight system is operated by a cylinder, single action, it dumps the oil out to drop, not really much more to tell, if you have any questions I will try to answer,
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

BHD, Saw your post on tractor by net. Fantastic job!!! Glad to see it mounted on a JD.

Comment

That is an impressive rig. You have a natural talent for building. I have built many "UGLY" things over the years with a set of torches, a welder and grinder mostly out of used iron. Some worked as planned some didn't, but most were still ugly. I envy someone who can do the research, do some drawing and who takes time to do it right the first time.

So the cylinder I see on the mast is what pulls the rope down to lift the hammer, then it dumps the oil to drop it... correct?
              Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                That is an impressive rig. You have a natural talent for building. I have built many "UGLY" things over the years with a set of torches, a welder and grinder mostly out of used iron. Some worked as planned some didn't, but most were still ugly. I envy someone who can do the research, do some drawing and who takes time to do it right the first time.

So the cylinder I see on the mast is what pulls the rope down to lift the hammer, then it dumps the oil to drop it... correct?
                yes that is correct and it just dumps through the valve,
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

AS a fellow welder N faber .I am impressed. You have a fellow welder N farmer out there ! From Hobart weld talk - S Berry [ Carie ] I swear You're Brothers ! Awesome work !!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

what's the travel length on the piston and hammer?

by releasing the pressure in the cylinder, does it still dump fast enough to pound the post? or does it slow the dropping speed.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

yes that is correct and it just dumps through the valve,
                      I'm curious like Rick is about the dropping speed. I watched a guy operating an old Bucyrus Erie Drill Rig years ago that had a hydraulic cylinder operating the walking beam. It was much slower than a conventional cable tool mechanical beam. It just didn't seem like it could let the oil out quick enough. How hard does yours hit the post?
                      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

On my tractor there is not hardly any back pressure on the return oil flow and it dumps fast,

I connected in to the hydraulic system of the tractor using a power beyond block, (one of John Deere's better keep secrets). makes tapping in to there hydraulics much simpler,

(I was concerned about the release pressure and how fast it could drop as well, it does not appear to be a problem),,

I did alter the cylinder, it had a 1/4" thread port, and I welded a 1/2" nipple type fitting on the cylinder over the 1/4" port, thus not restricting the port, and use 1/2" hose instead of 1/4" , the cylinder is a 1 3/4" by 12" stroke,

The max drop on the weight is a little over 6 feet, 7' max but it would hit the bottom stop if it is set that way, (and it will shear off bolts on the bottom stop).
                        Last edited by BHD; 10-18-2013, 09:44 PM.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

How does a 12" stroke give 7 feet of drop ? I'm missing something,I'm sure .
                          Last edited by toolaholic; 10-19-2013, 12:14 PM.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Multiple blocks, pulleys that make up the travel.

I think?

Rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

you have a little more than a Three to one advantage on the arm it self, so a foot of travel by the cylinder is about 3 and a half feet on the arm, (at the pulley) and then the pulley system, using the doubled over rope, doubles that so you get about 7 foot of travel on the nylon rope, that attaches to the weight, as the pulley moves back for ever foot it moves it takes two foot of rope travel, thus lifting the weight two foot,

the rope just allows some cushion. so the 350 pound weight needs about 2500 pounds of force to move it at the hydraulic cylinder.
                              Last edited by BHD; 10-19-2013, 10:53 AM.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X