Educational Opportunitites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educational Opportunitites

Having my nephew living with me has given me the opportunity to share some knowledge and it's fun. The kid is smart and every once in a while I take an ordinary situtation and use it to slip in a tid bit of information. Today we lit our first fireplace fire of the season and I talked about the Venturi Principle. I find things such as capillary action and how it relates to the world around us simply amazing. I'm sure NHM has had more than his share of reward through teaching, just wondering if you other guys do anything similar with children or coworkers?

Re: Educational Opportunitites

When ever I have young people around I try to teach or give them some information on things, that are relevant, a many times it is in cooperation of why there here, if their helping me on a project.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      When ever I have young people around I try to teach or give them some information on things, that are relevant, a many times it is in cooperation of why there here, if their helping me on a project.
      You have an awful lot to offer to both young folks and grown ups alike. I think even guys who don't think they are very handy, still have plenty to share if they give it a try. I enjoy sharing what I know and listening to this boy and his sister when they talk about things they have learned.
      Personally, I don't have a tender ego, so if they correct me on something I say it's a win, win for them and me!

Comment

Its a good feeling when you teach your kids things. My daughter knows that fire needs heat, oxygen, and fuel. You're right there are lots of situtations every day that if you include kids and tell them what you're doing they'll learn something, and you're both better off for it.

Comment

Phoebe knows jetting, drain cleaning and sewer cameras. And she loves riding shotgun in the truck.

Maybe I'll get her to crawl under homes for me. She likes bugs and spiders.

Rick.

Don't I have a sharkbite class tomorrow night?
          phoebe it is

Comment

I like to teach but have little opportunity as I have no kids, there are not any kids around, and i (now) have no co-workers. The co-workers before didn't give a crap.

The tallest trees use capillary action...
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
            X