X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No problem

What is it today that people can not say you're welcome or thank you.

Case in point, I took the wife to breakfastthis morning while we were out running some errands. The server (can't call them waiter or waitress anymore, not PC) brings our coffees and we give our order. I say "thank you" as she heads off to the kitchen her reply is "no problem".

I don't know why but this rubs me the wrong way. What's wrong with saying "you're welcome" today? Seems to be the younger crowd, but then most people are younger than me now-a-days.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: No problem

I find "no problem" perfectly acceptable in todays world.

Gotta roll with da' changes

Comment

" I have NO PROBLEM, with good manners "
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Do what I do, whenever someone doesn't acknowledge a kindness with a thank you I just look them in the eye and say, you're welcome.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Hello Bob
          Its our "social interaction " today ,,in this day and age ,,,and I dont like it,,,,
          Im an old as dirt [62]
          When I was a kid in sunny L.A Los Angeles ,,,there were tracts of houses built among orange groves,,,
          If the farmer liked you ,,,or you family and you happened to stop by the orchards hes often say "Yeah Howdy,,,pick all ya want ,,,I got more than I can handle"
          When people would pass you on the side walk they'd say "Hi ,,,how are you,,,Hello" they would acknowledge you and address you in a freindly courteous manner
          Nowadays its a roll of the dice ,,its a mixed bag
          It seems like like are designed and set up to eliminate person to person interaction as much as possible
          Case in point,,,whats your experience been later in a God Damned gas station,,,be honest,,,,were you less than pleased?
          Im not complaining but having said all that guys,,,

Today we live in a different world

What I realy try to do is treat people the way I would expect to be treated
          Look them in the eye when you meet them or leave them especially on a service call
          Give a firm handshake do what you said youd do and go on to the next one
          That says a lot ,but I truly believe many many tradespeople are NOT doing that in this day and age
          Just my 2 bits,,,,
          Dave Doyle
          Los Angeles

Comment

Bob D,

I totally agree with you. I recall a year or so ago, either one of the News correspondants going off on this same subject. "No Problem" is just a thoughtless response to someone's appretiation of your contribution or service. It's like saying, I DON'T CARE whether you appreciate it or not.

My mental response is often like "WTH... you're getting paid, and all you can respond to my "thankyou" is that it's "not a problem" to do your job"??? IMO, it's even worse when someone is on TV or the radio and the host of the program offers their thanks for your attendance and get's a "No Problem" in response. It's like saying "well I wasn't doing anything else, what the hell, I may as well have been here."

Maybe it's the kind of world we live in today: no manners, no feelings, no sense of responsibility to others, and certainly no pride in your contribution; so recognition that it was appreciated doesn't matter.

I guess you could leave a note and tell the "server" that you would have left a tip, but considering it wouldn't be welcomed any more than your "Thankyou", that not leaving one should not be a problem either.

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 11-02-2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Had a cable repair guy here a couple weeks ago and he was a gentleman and craftsman. He was also from another country (european) originally. I wrote a letter(email) complimenting him on a great job, and cablevision acknowledged.
              I also have another nephew my other sister inlaws son, his father is a businessman. The boy is thirteen, very smart, into sports and what impresses me the most, well mannered! When he asks for some and says "please", and "Thank you", I feel he was taught right. I know that those manners will be wasted on some folks, but not on the right ones. There are people who look for those things, and it makes a big difference. Years ago my wife ran a day care out of our house and had a little girl the same age as my younger daughter. The two girls became friends and remain so to this day 17 years later (20 yr olds now). This girl never says thank you despite repeated attempts by my wife when in her care. These days she ocassionally visits our home when my daughter is back from college. She helps herself to our food, my wife will serve her a meal if she is here at dinner time, and she still does not say thnk you! I have spoken up at times but it's a lost cause. I think she needed to hear that from her mother and father (divorced when she was two). When my wife's sister passed away, this girl was here and said nothing! I was so mad, but my wife told me to keep quiet. People need to hear when they are disrespectful because sometimes it's a matter of ignorance. Better ignore me too, I'm old.

Comment

How about if they say Da Nada? It means that was nothing. I'll take no problem all day over that.

Comment

Our present education system has awful educators period!
                  They no longer teach rules of politeness such as please and thank you
                  They no longer teach skills like wood shop, auto shop, home economics etc.
                  They no longer teach the truth about our country and its history
                  They no longer teach addition and subtraction or math...
                  They don't teach you how to properly hold a pen or pencil let alone how to write and spell!!
                  Parents are too busy getting stoned or working to bother teaching their kids
                  or they have no manners themselves thus their kids have no one to emulate.

Thanks bob D. and you're welcome oh and as some say instead "have a nice day"!![yuk]

Cactus Man

Comment

You guys need to relax.

I say "no problem", "no problemo", "de nada" and "no biggie" all the time.

Tone of voice and facial expression convey the genuine intent of the response, not the choice of words. Science will back me up on that statement too.

Comment

"You bet!"
                      "Glad to do it"

Comment

it took weeks to get the "thanks" button to work.

now lets use it.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          it took weeks to get the "thanks" button to work.

now lets use it.

rick.
                          No Problem.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Cactusman,

While I agree with you on most of your statements, I think that it is the parents reponsibility to teach basic manners, like "please", "thank you", and "you're welcome".... BUT that is not to say that in the classroom perhaps the teacher might be able to instill some values. However, there are so many rules barring teachers from doing almost any kind of influencing, it's almost a crime. Can you imagine the ruckus that it would cause, should some brat come home and tell thier parent that "the teacher made me say THANK YOU!"

ROFL,

The point is that some phrases are just a turnoff to a lot of people, and "No Problem" can be to many, especially those who feel "You're Welcome" is the traditional response to a "Thank you", and that "No problem" is somewhat less. I'm sort of callous to most people's responses, I figure they just don't know, or just don't care, so why fight it.

Franki,

Have you ever thought of asking your daughter or even that friend about why she seems to shun from saying "Thank you"? Maybe she's got a problem with the phrase for some long past reason. With your family, it seems there is some level of comfort provided that overlooks such a shortcoming in a friend, and that's nice. But socially, this could be a real flaw that others migh see in the young lady if she doesn't correct it. As a friend, it shouldn't be left to ignorance on her part. (I know that hearing of my own shortcomings in the past, has only been a brief embarrassmen, and the following feelings of appreciation that I have felt is a welcome part of learning.)

I take great pride in my manners. I was once told that if you can be nothing else, than at least one must be a "Gentleman"! Manners are extremely important, not just for yourself but for those around you; and my father would constantly remind me of any laxity on my part. Table manners were especially important, as was proper greetings, respect for women and elders, and even behaviour with my friends. I remember the only time that my father ever struck me... was in reaction to my disrespect to one of my friends. Knocked me flat on my butt, asking "Who in the HE!! do you think you are!!) On quick reflection, I surely deserved it and went up to my friends house to apologize.

I always hold the door for others, still open the car door for my wife, carry things for her, etc. Good manners is what makes a person and in proper exercise it can make all the difference to someone at which you direct your manners. I always ask how a server, cashier or whatever is doing and I mean it. I like to know a person's name, or address them as "Maam" or "Sir", regardless of age; and I always say "Thankyou" and "You're Welcome" and wish them a "great day" (usually saying, "Enjoy your day" or "have a great week"). It's amazing how nice people are when you are willing to have a conversation with them, even briefly.... letting them know that they're just not someone ringing out your purchase and nothing more. People like to be recognized and treated respectfullywell and especially like knowing that what they are doing is appreciated. It takes very little extra to express a personal greeting, ask how they are, recognize a nice smile, great name, or take note of something personable.

I've learned a lot from my wife, as she's far more attentive than I am. I've watched her as she spots when a person isn't feeling well or that something seems to be bothering them. In an instant she makes friends and I've seen her dig out a fresh bottle of water, an asperin, or even intentionally go back later or the next day to see how they're doing. She's constantly giving little presents to someone to brighten their day, like the little perfume that someone had admired, or the gift box for the occasional cashier sadned by a lost friend or relative.

It doesn't take much to recognize all the PIA people that someone has to face during their day, and to then try be the exception. Or that maybe someone doesn't have anyone who ever gives a sh!t, when there are so many of us who could.

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 11-03-2013, 12:56 PM.

Comment

As I said...if my tone of voice is appreciative and my facial expression is engaging and joyful, It's incredibly lame to get hung up on the phrasology.

I don't care how you justify it.

Comment

Working...
                              X