X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama Care, doesn't care?

Well I got my letter in the mail today. Our health insurance policy is being cancelled and they request I apply for a new policy. I'm so excited!!!!!! Even though we are at the half century mark in our life our new policy includes (mandatory) pregnancy coverage, pediatric eye care coverage, and a host of other wonderful USELESS coverages! Our policy will more than double in price. THANK YOU OBAMA! I am so happy we can do our part to make sure everyone has health coverage in America.

Did I mention our company plumbing rates will be increasing Jan. 1st? Got to pass on the love right?

Re: Obama Care, doesn't care?

It's all confusing to me at times. I missed a seminar tonight I was supposed to go too. Saw this and "ding!" then "doh!".

Will everyone in the U.S. be required to carry a policy that has met the government requirements you list?

Or can people get policies that leave these out and still be considered covered i.e. not penalized on a return?

Comment

There was a news article a few days ago warning that many policies will be canceled or amended, depending on the various states' individual laws. Some states allow contracts to be amended over the course of the policy, other states are more cut and dry where if a contract must change, then it needs to be canceled and started anew, since it is no longer the contract the parties agree upon. I suppose I'm among the lucky ones with my TRICARE coverage through the military, it's whatever the government tells the contractor what the coverage requirements are, and that is that.

I take it your state is one of those cut and dry states.

Comment

ALL will be required to have the same minimum insurance, it's the law come Jan. 1st. There will be a maximum 6 thousand dollar deductible and you will be required to carry the extra coverages as everyone else. This is not affordable, nor is it a care act. It's a tax on those who can afford it to insure those that can't. I'm not talking about the government exchanges. I'm talking about your standard every day insurance plan through all major carriers. I currently have a good plan, a plan that works for the wife and I. We are happy with our plan but it will be cancelled. We're still with the same carrier but had to completely start over and apply again even though we've been with them for years. Because of all the extra coverages and forcing us to have a lower deductible our costs are going through the roof.

These are the facts. This is what we've all been waiting for, to hear the facts and the truth. We haven't seen anything yet. The letters are just now being sent out. It's going to get ugly folks.

Comment

Everything is going to cost a lot more in the near future. This will impact everyone and everything. All we can do is charge more to cover the extra costs and so that's the way it will be come Jan 1st. When customers ask why so much? I'm going to say you can thank the "Affordable Care Act", because Obama cares about each and every one of us.

Comment

May be those Kooks in the house had actually read the fine print of the bill, and were actually trying to help the American people.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I used my vote to object to the affordable care act, republican right down the line! Our economy and society can't afford the damage done by this law. People need to go without certain medical procedures, and die as a result. Stop dancing around the fact that we are broke and would be lucky to turn this titanic around before we lose everything. We can't afford to provide housing and healthcare for all the babies born to women who cannot care for them or themselves. We can't afford to provide healthcare for certain procedures for the elderly without further bankrupting the rest of society. The money is not there, the full time, good paying jobs are not there. Inflation is rising, we are doomed and that's no joke!

Comment

I had a customer call yesterday who lives in a pretty good neighborhood and owns her home. She said her husband and herself both work but don't make much extra cash, living pretty much week to week. She had a main line stoppage and asked how much it would cost. Found out she'd been calling around looking for the best deal. By the time she got to me she was crying on the phone, literally. She just could not afford to pay a plumber. It's nice to be the good samaritan and God knows I do very often. Thing is my family has to pay the bills too and I just can't go run free calls. Now she's going to be forced to have premium health insurance or pay a tax at the end of the year on top of everything else. Obama has no idea what real people are going through, very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  I used my vote to object to the affordable care act, republican right down the line! Our economy and society can't afford the damage done by this law. People need to go without certain medical procedures, and die as a result. Stop dancing around the fact that we are broke and would be lucky to turn this titanic around before we lose everything. We can't afford to provide housing and healthcare for all the babies born to women who cannot care for them or themselves. We can't afford to provide healthcare for certain procedures for the elderly without further bankrupting the rest of society. The money is not there, the full time, good paying jobs are not there. Inflation is rising, we are doomed and that's no joke!
                  I guess then what is a life worth?

then for the sake of argument, then if some one regardless of age is diagnosed with cancer, then offer them generic pain pills until there gone, as cancer is an expensive illness to treat,
                  same with heart problems, cost my BIL $140,000 for the pace maker,

If we start to take that attitude why treat any illness?

when is old to old? may be could solve the social security and Medicare/medicade money problems by just saying at 65, you can no longer buy drugs, beside pain medications,
                  your nursing homes would clear out in a hurry, for most it would be death sentence, in a few short weeks,

who get to set the age, limits where things are no longer cost effective, or will lit be by tax revenues being generated, If you worth more to the government alive than dead you get to have meds, but once you stop being a revenue generating asset, you totally on your own?

yes I do under stand your thoughts,
                  just like putting a pace maker in a 95 year old person,
                  or hip replacements for a wheel chair bound alzheimer's patient,
                  or even doing what it takes to keep a premature baby alive for months under intensive care,
                  or keeping a brain dead or nearly, comatose person alive for many many years,

I do agree just because technology does exist does not mean it is always prudent to use it,

but I am glad we live in a society where may be we caution on the side of caring and trying, than on It not worth our effort to try even.

we are not animals that are only raised for what our resale value is,
                  It is not like a old cow out in the pasture, that may have a problem, and I know what she is worth and what the vet bill may come to, and taking in the chances of recovery, and then decide that a 22 is the way to go,

If we take that attitude were do we put the limits, where do we start, and were do we stop, if it is all about money then some one who is retired is a drain on society, some one who is jobless, and now lest take that a little father jobless, and family, HUM the whole family is a drain on society,
                  what about the prison population?
                  If there are not positive adding to the collective then they need to go, or at least become contributors to the collective, (may be forced workers for the collective), that is they can just be servants/slaves to the collective, and the producers), and if they are not able or capable I guess they could be done away with.

Very dangerous slope one is on when you start to decides who lives and dies,

(one that is to actually lower the cost of medical services,
                  tort reform and limits of liability, and the throwing out of frivolous law suits,
                  removal of layer after layer after layer of government regulations and requirements,
                  and may be not push ever new technology that is out there, I really do not think ever small hospital needs ever machine and capability that a metropolis hospital has,
                  Last edited by BHD; 11-05-2013, 07:43 PM.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

We may need a box on our drivers license where we can refuse medical care.

Dr Obama isn't touching my business

Comment

BHD, I say those harsh things knowing full well they will not come to pass. I do wonder if such drastic measures are necessary given the economy, life expectancy and other factors? I've said this before, if the lifeboat (in this case our economy) only holds 20, and there are forty in the water, do you save 20, or sink the boat? Who decides life and death now? Well, in the case of pregnant women who want abortions, they do! Individuals and family members also have a say in matters of life and death. Most folks don't want the government to be in charge of deciding life and death regarding medical treatments and procedures. To answer, "Well then what is a life worth"? I think it's worth different things to different people, to some it is most precious, to others it holds little value. I see life as a very precious, very fragile, very temporary thing at best. History tells us of the sacrifice by the few to save the many. Today we have the technology, medicines, and skilled professionals to extend life for folks who would otherwise be dead. I just don't think we have the economy and social atmosphere to go hand in hand with the former.

Comment

Soylent Green and Blade Runner, these are two solutions to your problem Frank.
                        Last edited by Bob D.; 11-05-2013, 09:23 PM.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          Soylent Green and Blade Runner, these are two solutions to your problem Frank.
                          Bob, I'm pointing out the obvious. Don't be so sure it's not everyone's problem.

Comment

I have to believe that when the congress drafted the health care bill the only thing on their minds was screwing the American people and driving the nation over the economic cliff in hopes of a total breakdown of society, chaos and civil war. Yep, that's what they want to do. Look, som folks will have issues with the bill, that's not in question. What is in question is when are the republicans going to quit their constant whining and political posturing and come to the tabl and do something about it? Don't tell me they have tried before because every single one of their efforts to date has been complete crap and a thinly veiled attempt to undo everything that has been done.
                            sigpic

Comment

If the U.S. continues its current path, I think we are going to see for the first time in our history the "Great Migration".

Longterm residences of the U.S. leaving to live in various parts of the world.

I might be one of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X