Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I reached a milestone today.

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    My 5hp toro snowblower is still a workout, twisting it through turns and pulling it back and forth as it clears a path. I need to use a shovel at times and it kills my back no matter how much I bend at the knees. Fell on ice twice a couple winters ago and that seemed to cause bursitis in the hips. No fun getting old, small steps just like when I was a toddler
    Franki,

That is one of the concerns I have with a snowblower.... how much more work it might be, rather than just shoveling. At the house in Painted Post, I have a very hilly piece of property, not particularly big, but a sizeable bank at about a 45 degree grade. My FIL is significantly shorter than me (he's 5'4") and he had purchased a self-driven lawn mower (the kind you push) and I thought that maybe that would be better on my back. So on a visit, I told him I'd like to mow his lawn and try out his Craftsman self-propelled... with the idea that maybe I might like to buy one. Well let me tell ya', what a PIA that thing was. Fine for just moving straight along a well mannicured grade, but if you have to manuever it around trees and shrubs it would kill you with it's extra weight and wider tires. NO THANKS! I kept my el-cheapo Briggs and Stratton and I'm still using that type of mower.. albeit, with larger back wheels.

About 15 years ago, I had a neighbor give me his snow blower. It was a bit old, and I used it a couple of times and then sold it to a guy at work for $75. Just too much trouble, between trying to get it started and working to keep it running. I also had a gravel driveway then, and that of course posed some problems, even though it was under packed snow. In anycase, I'm still relying on my trusty shovel. For my back challenges, I have one of those shovels with the curved handles, it does make quite a bit of difference. (Also, make sure you wear good boots with a soul that grips snow and ice well.)

With my home here in Binghamton, the driveway is a reall bear, as there's no where to throw the snow. My neighbor's driveway is right next to mine, separated by my hedges. I park the van next to the house, rather than in the garage during the winter. That leaves me only about 20 ft to shovel, which I have to push down to the front of the house where I can pile it on the small front lawn area.

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 11-14-2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Just squeezing the grips on a snowblower to engage the impeller, and drive wheels can take a toll on your hands. My machine is around thirty years old and still running well, changed a few parts here and there but made well. I am very glad I have this machine when we get multiple foot plus snow falls. I clear the snow beyond my immediate needs so it doesn't pile up, and leave me with no more room once it compacts.
      I agree, self propelled does not accurately describe what's required

Comment

I'd appreciate it you guys would shut the hell up about snow.
        sigpic

Comment

My biggest problem with snow removal is cleaning the rocks out of my yard in the spring! I have a 7.5' plow for my truck. Speaking of, I need to fix the light harness before it gets to cold. I've had it since I bought the house, and with a 180' driveway and a big enough area to turn around with a 20' trailer attached, I couldn't fathom shoveling or even snow blowing it. I would how ever trade the plow for a skid loader any day. Someday hopefully.

Comment

Working...
          X