Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thats it! no more mister nice guy

we had a conveyor at work that was a safety issue
    it needed guards manufactured to cover the ends of the rollers.
    so while taking measurements last night my hand slipped off the rails and into the rollers.
    (its my job to repair these conveyors)
    the measurements were outside the roller area so there was no need to shut them off.
    broke one finger and got a nasty laceration from it. (8 stitches to close it up)
    i guess im lucky! it could have taken my hand off.

i was getting the measurements for the fabricators as we had to turn in a work order.
    the ironic thing is this is the exact thing we were trying to prevent!
    so no more mr. nice guy
    shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Re: thats it! no more mister nice guy

I don't get it, what does being a nice guy have to do with what happened?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Sounds like you need to rethink your risk assessment of your jobs. Getting your hands within a few inches of operating equipment would not fly where I work, especially since the equipment guarding is not up to standards. Do you have to do JHAs before starting a job?

Caught between is one of the OSHA Focus Four areas that account for about half of all workplace injuries.

Glad you were not more seriously hurt.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hopefully you dont lose your job for getting injured where the shield that is your job was missing.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

sorry you got hurt, and it was not more serious.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

thats just the thing much of the equipment is old and we are in the process of making them safer.
            including installing local lockout devices.
            the rail was 8 inches above the rollers and it happened so fast (also found the rail loose)
            it hurts a bit but its more a wake up call for our bosses that a lot of the old $#!t needs replaced and updated
            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

Comment

In the future, until the proper guarding is in place or updated equipment installed, it might pay to have this old stuff tagged out before anyone goes to do any maintenance on it. A hour or two of down time is a LOT cheaper than a fine or hospital bills and a workman's comp claim. And since you now have first hand expierence to prove its not safe to work on while in service, you should have no trouble with this. Because if they refuse or blow it off and there is a second injury, they will be in for a world of hurt from OSHA.

If you received first aide then this is a OSHA recordable injury, goes on the OSHA 300 log and turned into OSHA annually. That will change soon and there will be electronic reporting every quarter required.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

2 of our new bosses (young guys ) are in charge of updating equipment and they have their hands full
                we are helping them as much as possible by listing things that need addressed using a tf system of reporting so things are recorded
                and they regularly poll the workers about working condition concerns.
                even then some accidents will inevitably happen. but we do what we can to minimize the risk's of it.

our old bosses would just write you up for having an accident. (adding insult to injury)

Comment

anyhow its healing nicely and im keeping it clean. but it will hurt for a while as the finger was broken in 2 places.
                  there are now temporary barrier plates on the conveyor till the guards come in.

Comment

How does this work in the US? Would you be able to get workers comp for your injuries to cover your lost time and medical costs or would your company cover those costs?

Comment

Hurt on the job usually the employeer picks up the tab.
                      A workmans comp claim could be submitted if you lost work because of the injury.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Working...
                      X