Memories of Yesteryear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memories of Yesteryear

I've been a hunter now for 13 years. I've put over 30 deer into the freezer in those years. My very first deer, my very first shot of the gun, was a smaller buck with a large rack. I probably wasn't much over 25 years old.

I'm used to the ribbing I've received over the years for shooting does and small yearling bucks. I'm also used to missing the first shot of every deer since my first kill. It's like a curse...but anyway...

Yesterday, I saw a deer exactly like my first and it locked me into place. I didn't know what to do! It was only 20 feet from me. All the feelings from the 'first time' flooded back. I forgot I even had a gun... It was like the first day I was in the woods. What an awesome feeling.

I let it go, after all, I have a nice set of antlers already and they aren't very edible. I did chuckle a little when the deer turned to run and bonked its antlers on a nearby tree.

Perhaps this is how my first deer would have acted had I not shot it. I guess we'll never know...
    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 11-30-2013, 10:49 PM.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Re: Memories of Yesteryear

Today...

My back hurt and I hyper-extended my knee the other day. I figured I'd sit in the woods for a while before the sun set. I went out about 2:30. On the way up, the atv got stuck in deep snow twice, though the all-wheel drive did grind it out eventually. I managed to tear myself a new one on the barb wire fence, trashing my hunting suit. Finally, I found a tree base to sit at with my foam butt cushion. The vantage point gave me a good view of the same area where I saw the other buck - the end of a large field with numerous apple trees and pathways. After a few hours I had lost feeling in my toes and took a last look around. I saw movement near one of the apple trees. It looked like a small deer. Then it picked up its head...

I couldn't believe my eyes. The biggest deer I've ever seen, let alone point a gun at. I wasted no time today. Poking the button on the scope showed me 43-44 yards but he was still in the branches. Just a bit more time... it felt like years... Finally... finally I had a clear shot! BOOM! The 12 gauge slug was away!

The deer jumped up and took off. I swore it was a miss. Then the deer entered a clearing and I saw the hole. Not 50 feet more and it fell dead near a large stone pile. I had to sneak up on it, just to make sure it was down. I know I'm a good shot but I just didn't trust ME! I was ready like a wary commando, ready to plug it again. It wasn't necessary.

I was right there... laughing like a school kid. The whole forest probably head me. All the pain, cold toes, and frozen fingers faded away.

Later, the neighbor taxidermist stopped by. He drove past and saw the deer in the driveway. He backed up and asked permission to view my animal and take pictures. Who wouldn't want to show off a prize? I never knew this guy was my neighbor, let alone a taxidermist of 20 plus years. Then he said he'd be honored to mount this deer and because it's from his neighborhood he'd do it for less than the normal rate of $450 ($400). He's coming over to cape the deer tomorrow morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3d9056a6994ee12ca28beacb6ee284ed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	18006

9 point. Brow tines, and 2 mini's that can't be counted. Bigger than I can pick up.
    ~~

Comment

Your story and pic brought back lots of memories. As Bob Hope would have said, "Thanks for the memories"

Comment

glad you got your Buck, I have not seen many around here this year, usaly we will have a small herd on our ground but have not seen any. I guess it just bee to dry,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Nice buck, let me guess, after you shot him it took what, maybe a second or two before you forgot about your super cold toes?
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

My best memory of "yesteryear"

I would get a paycheck and after paying all my bills,
            putting gas in my vehicle, grocery shopping and going out on a date with a
            "dear" I'd still have money left over !!!!!

Cactus Man

Comment

That buck won't have to wonder where his next meal is coming from and neither will you, Plumber Punky. Great shooting!

Comment

Plumber Punky,

I enjoyed your story, good piece of writing, THANKS

(Oh yeah, nice deer too! )

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  Nice buck, let me guess, after you shot him it took what, maybe a second or two before you forgot about your super cold toes?
                  you'd be right. i did get cold fingers trying to tie it to the atv.

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Plumber Punky,

I enjoyed your story, good piece of writing, THANKS

(Oh yeah, nice deer too! )

CWS
                  it's always easier to write about what you enjoy.

the taxidermist come this morning to cape it. i'll only lose 3" of meat from the neck area where the head was cut off. it troubled both of us to hang it so it has to be 200 pounds easily. he said it's only about 3 years old at most.
                  ~~

Comment

Very nice buck, congratulations! The memories are so nice and having some on the wall helps remember. I've taken at least 35 bucks and I have no idea how many does. 24 of the bucks were from Northern Ca. (blacktails) 11 from Northern Minnesota (whitetail) Have two blacktails and two whitetails mounted, oh and one very large Fisher I trapped in Minnesota ,,now we live in the Black Hills SD, here it's all by drawing and being my first year didn't get a buck tag this year. But we do have mulie and whitetail and I really want a big Mulie on the wall some day. I did get drawn for a buck Antelope (which I've never done before) and ended up getting a trophy goat the first half hour of the opener. out on the prairie, I was very excited about it and I'm having that one mounted, should be ready in Jan. I'll post some pictures later. I try to remember each and every hunt but over the years some of them just blended together. Take lots of pictures!
                    I did get drawn for two doe tags for muzzleoader which starts this week, and I also have a turkey tag to use with the shotgun but just haven't had much time lately to get out there.

Comment

Nice buck. My memories are of going hunting with my dad & my dogs. He started taking me as soon as I could walk. My dad hunted, because when he was growing up that's how they put meat on the table. He was 1 of 5 kids being raised by a widow in the 50's ( No government hand outs back then). I learned a lot about life & the environment hunting with my dad. I don't hunt deer anymore, because if I want to kill one all I have to do is open the sliding glass door & wait. What I like to do now is find the deer that somebody shot & can't find. I get a lot of calls for me & my dog to come find the deer they shot. If they made it bleed my dog will not stop until she finds it. I tell them they don't owe me anything, but they owe my dog a couple of lbs. of meat. And I don't help drag them out, but if I feel they can't do it I will get my mini-track loader out.

Comment

Working...
                      X