Chicken from China?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken from China?

Great idea? I don't share the same love and enthusiasm for communist china as some of you and I think it is a bad idea to allow chicken from that country into the U.S.A.! Aside from further damaging our economy as we enrichen their's, we have no way of knowing what health risks are at stake. I hope BHD weighs in on this issue. Unlike our country I am not aware of any government oversight to ensure quality and safety of something like raw chicken from communist china. God help us!

Re: Chicken from China?

Got to assume the FDA would oversee the import just like all food products shipped here like beef from Australia.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Got to assume the FDA would oversee the import just like all food products shipped here like beef from Australia.
      Great!!!! Years ago Jack In The Box ordered BEEF from Australia. Turned out is was jump meat!!!!

Comment

We import between 8 and 20 percent of the meat sold in this country. Imported meat has been no more of a health issue than our own domestic products which if you recall has had its share of issues in the past few years.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Great idea? I don't share the same love and enthusiasm for communist china as some of you and I think it is a bad idea to allow chicken from that country into the U.S.A.! Aside from further damaging our economy as we enrichen their's, we have no way of knowing what health risks are at stake. I hope BHD weighs in on this issue. Unlike our country I am not aware of any government oversight to ensure quality and safety of something like raw chicken from communist china. God help us!
          This is nothing new. We were importing the processed chickens from China years ago and they were banned due to poor standards. Perhaps they cleaned up their act.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This is just too fowl!!! [pun intended]

Food from china is a very bad idea!
            Chinese dog food and treats have killed thousands of dogs due to additives like melamine!
            in fact they still ship this stuff with cute renamed American names etc.

Pet's mart, Costco, Sam's club and many other stores still carry dangerous dog and cat
            food and treats! The made in china label is often in the packaging folds and hard to see
            One name I recall is America chicken jerky for dogs..made in China and deadly!

If you love your pets buy only made in America or made in Canada dog food products and treats
            I refuse to buy any type of fish farmed or processed in china or Vietnam and other places
            due to unhealthy conditions and no safety controls!

Besides killing us financially they by entering our food chain even more than now will
            kill many American humans with unsafe foods.

Chinese toys, pottery, coffee mugs, dishes etc contain lead and are unsafe to use!

Sorry I'll pay more for safe food made in America or Canada not far east food stuff!

Cactus Man

Comment

I agree that food from China may be a bad idea....BUT!

Problem is we have to import certain foods, because we aren't producing enough here. I hate to think that is the case, and it probably shouldn't be... but like everything else, one needs to ask WHO is doing the importing? IF THERE IS A BETTER PROFIT TO BE MADE, you can bet there is a U.S. concern behind it.

This is why a large number of us have been trying to get ALL products, especially food products labelled with their country of origin. I absolutely hate buying food when I don't know where it is from!

Anyone want to guess why any political party would be resisting this?

CWS

Comment

I do not like the idea either, but I do want them to buy my wheat and my areas corn,

as in most areas the GOV, promotes "free" trade, not "fair" trade, I do hope it is Fair trade and not under cutting the production in the states,

the big food companies keep fighting country of origin labeling, personally I think it should happen and let the consumer decide on what they want to buy,

I know how much it hurts (price wise) when there government bands our agriculture products,

but I do not like it when other governments use the US as dumping grounds for there surplus products, (I do not care if it is agriculture or other products).

but normally and in the past, the US ahs had the benefit of being able to export there Agriculture products very easily,

Trade agreements in agriculture products are very intertwined by national security by most all nations, thus there are many desires to keep some comedies at given levels so there farmers can stay in business, Europe and Japan, is very intent on this, as if the stuff hits the fan they want the infrastructure to try to feed there population, in most instances the US could sell them food cheaper than they can raise it them selves, but in the process it would put thousands of there farmers and there farms out of business, Not that long ago and even yet to day it is done some in this country, there are subsidies or limits on importation or tariffs on the products so there own farmers can compete, where if given the opportunity and freedom we (USA) could still feed a very large portion of the world, meeting most of there needs, and if we were over producing to that extent the price of the comedies would be below the cost of production, (for the US farmer as well as the country that was importing it),

Farming is not a business you jump in and out of, there is to much infrastructure that is needed, and investment and long term planning, and the land can be a mulity generation investment,

it is defiantly not like construction, where with not that great of an investment, one can jump in the business and go for it until the wind changes and drop out just as fast, with out that much lost,

very few can get in to farming and succeed unless they grow up in the business,

in this country you have micro farms (mostly what I would call homesteaders, 3 to 10 acres, most are not self supporting), and mega farms, very few small and medium farms exist any more,

according to the local coop

Corn Irrgated $5.95*** Avg. Irrgated Avg. Cost Per Acre $1,000 *** Avg. Yield Per Acre 185 (

Corn Dryland $7.02 *** Avg. Cost Per Acre $300 *** Avg. Yield Per Acre 57

Wheat $8.00 *** Avg. Cost Per Acre $220 *** Avg. Yield Per Acre 40

*Based on cost and yield averages shown above. Old crop figure does not include costs of storage, interest, etc. Individual cost per acre may vary.

To return $100 per acre profit, you would need to sell:

Corn Irrgated $5.95

Corn Dryland $7.02

Wheat $8.00

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Profit Per Acre*

Corn Irrgated ($236) current price of corn a bushel 4.13

Corn Dryland ($65)

Wheat Dryland $48 current price for a bushel of wheat currently $6.71.

Closing Bids as of: 12/2/2013
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the margins are very small, if any. and say you have a 200 acre farm in wheat, and you had a average you would make a profit of $48 an acre, You would make $9600 after expenses, to live off of, if one would have chose to plant corn you would have lost, $13000

so as a government and you know you need food, and as an administration you do not want to be ran out of office by hungry people, (and all countries are faced with this) they develop policies, to keep there farmers going and feed there people, some are contradictory with each other, and some work well together, but some include developing export, and some imports, depending on what they want to control, and where they want to dive prices, this works for the American farmer at times and others against, there is very little FREE MARKET in commodities there is just manipulations by governments and power brokers, and this has been going on for years, nothing new,
                why do you think there is a Department of Agriculture, Farmers are nearly just pawn of the government, they give one a set of rules to work in and if you do not accomplish what they want they change the rules,
                Last edited by BHD; 12-10-2013, 08:16 PM.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I raise and grow my own food, what i cant raise or grow i shoot or gather. so i could give 2 craps what china does. people dont realize how good they have it until they get screwed by price and in health by substandard products. even then, they still carp and groan. so, f'em, they deserve what they get.
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                  X