X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charitable Donations

My wife and I make donations to our church every week, and a little something extra at the holidays. I decided to send a donation to "The Wounded Warrior Project", this season. I'm not suggesting any of you support this particular charitable organization, I just felt like doing something more this season. I know times are tough, but if you can afford a little something to the charity of your choice it could make a big difference in someone's life. Frank

Re: Charitable Donations

I feel like I must give the Salvation Army about five grand. I just can't seem to walk past that bucket and bell without giving something. Other than that I give my friends the joy of knowing me LOL
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      I feel like I must give the Salvation Army about five grand. I just can't seem to walk past that bucket and bell without giving something. Other than that I give my friends the joy of knowing me LOL
      Hard to tell when you are joking. I believe the part about giving to the Salvation Army, but then you mention having friends

Comment

we filled a wish-tree card on a Compeer xmas tree. the card specifies a person's likes, favorites, and what they really need. It's up to the taker to fulfill the card to closely match the needs. we also added a few extras we thought would be nice 'wants',

We stopped filling the cards at the local church since the 'needs' became ipads, ipods, and xboxes.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I beleave charity begins at home I have the same problem NH has

Tony

Comment

Personally, I'm pretty consistant in my donations, but I refuse to give to any charity where the executives live like kings! I want to be assured that my donation is spent entirely on the subject of what the charity is asking.

While we have sent funds for things like the Tsunami, Katrina, and last year's hurricane disasters along the east coast, I'm quite selective in what organization, and much prefer to give directly to whatever local relief efforts there are.

We regularly provide food to the local food pantry; toys, coats, gloves, through local merchant drives, etc., and especially the "Toys for Tots" drive. After Thanksgiving, I usually start carrying a few "One$" and try to remember to hand those out to the SA bell ringers... but honestly you see the same guy a dozen times a week, so I confess to not giving more than a couple times a week there.

We have a few "homeless" people in our area and for them, my wife and I are sort of a 'soft touch'. YOu see these people out on a street corner, and if it's the first time or maybe even the second, it is not at all unusual to come flying home, fill up a couple of grocery bags from the pantry and go back to them to help out. BUT, I've come to believe that some of these are making a career of it and in the case of these two brothers that I see almost every week, they've been out there for a couple of years now! We've given to them probably four times over the first year, but no longer! ... too many jobs out there to be had, if they were seriously in need. (We never give money to these folks, and I will stop and inquire about their circumstances. In many cases, it is not at all what it seems.)

Mostly though, we like to give to people or to circumstances where we know there will be direct benefit. It's not hard to find local people who need help, sometimes it food, sometimes money, sometimes just your time to help out in some way. Certainly we are not richly charitable, and I feel guilty for not doing more; but, I see so many people, including those in the family and among friends who do absolutely nothing for anybody.

CWS

Comment

St. Judes. For those that cannot help themselves.

Comment

We donate to local legit charities. Mostly to animal rescues. I can't help it - there's only about five humans on the entire planet I like more than dogs, and three of them are iffy.
                "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

The only living creature in my home that never upsets me, and loves me unconditionally is my little dog Max! My neighbor always says "If your dog and wife are locked in the trunk of the car, and you open it after an hour who is the happiest to see you?". I rest my case.

Comment

Working...
                  X