need some electrical help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some electrical help

I want to reduce 12v DC to 7.4v DC. I want to use my 12v Ridgid batteries with another item I have that is 7.4v. Any idea as to what components I would need to reduce the voltage?

Thanks in advance

Re: need some electrical help

The original battery is 7.4v 2600mA

Comment

If the draw is steady a resistor is a possibility,

when I converted a old truck to 12 from 6 volt I was able to buy resistors to put in line with the 6 volt accessory still in the truck (like fan and wipers), I mounted them to sheep of aluminum and run in series, and it have been operating like that for 30 years, on most automotive heater controls it is a resistor that controls the fan speed,

as transformers only work on alternating currents,

I would guess one most likely could make a electronic control that would work as well, using a transistor of some type but I would not know how to design it properly, that would actually control the actual voltage delivered,

I think some of the new variable speed drill triggers are electronic now, and not a slide variable resister,
      so I would guess if one took a trigger, and could set at the correct setting it may control the voltage,
      (I really do not know, when it comes to electronic design I most like just know enough to be dangerous)

SO any information given here USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/circ/car912.htm
      Voltage Regulator Electronic Circuits, Page 1

some possible links to help you, or some ideas to search out better.

http://www.egr.msu.edu/classes/ece48...wn%20Felix.pdf

http://www.egr.msu.edu/classes/ece48...cationNote.pdf

LM317 popular adjustable DC regulator. | Eleccircuit.com

there may be off the shelf voltage reducers for electronic use in cars and trucks 12 volt reduced to 9 volts or even 6 volts,

Cool-Power ZVS Buck Regulator, DC-DC Voltage Regulator | Vicor Corporation

Voltage reducers
      Last edited by BHD; 12-21-2013, 09:45 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD. It's pretty simple as to what I want to accomplish. I have a kobalt heated jacket that uses a 7.4v Li - Ion battery. I have a bunch of the 12v Ridgid batteries and only the one rechargeable pack from kobalt. I was going to use the LED flashlight base and modify it to output to the jacket.

Comment

matt, don't worry, 12 volts will make you toasty. or make you toast.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Just use Milwaukee V28 batteries and have yourself a wearable tanning booth.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

LOL! Thanks for the advice.... hahaha!

Comment

Working...
              X