More "reality" show nonsense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More "reality" show nonsense

From the wife of a logger that got fired from Axmen.

Judged:21
    My husband is the "stud greenhorn" from Big Gun that has been edited and voiced over to be some kind of maniac. This show is as fake as any sitcom. My husband was not fired, but quit. Ryan, the other greenhorn, did not stay at a camp site but shared a motel with us. My husband quit after 6 days of filming and was hired by a reputable logging company that would never be caught dead working with this show. The company was created SOLELY for this show. No company wold get hired or stay open for more than 5 minutes if the problems that happen on every episode actually happened. Yes, lines snap and people get hurt, but everything that happens on this show is created by the producer, at least at Big Gun. The producer was Arem and nearly got the entire thing shut down by creating such dangerous events. One day the company that owns the land DID shut down production and Arem tried to bribe them to stay open. These men work hard and under dangerous conditions at best but what happens on this show is completely fabricated and bull. My husband didn't even get paid what he was promised until he threatened to go to the labor board. I can't speak for the other sites, just Big Gun. Creating drama for a show is one thing but Arem is the most ridiculous producer and I can't believe the History Channel calls this farce a "reality show". So watch it if you like it but don't think it's real. Put it in the same category as 90210 or Seinfeld. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it was a stepping stone for my family for my husband to get a real logging job at a great company. For that I am grateful.
    sigpic

Re: More "reality" show nonsense

I'm shocked!
    Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often... Usually for the same reason.

Comment

So... does this mean that some of the treasures found on Storage Wars might be fake too??? OH MY!

Comment

Not some, all. Lol

I have some experience with storage facilities in that I have about a 1/2 ownership share in one locally. There are laws governing the length of time and notifications necessary when someone abandons a unit but when all the legal stuff has been done believe me, the first guy into the unit is the owner(s) and anything of value gets instantly plucked and either kept or brought down to the local pawn shops or auction. We don't leave anything of value in there and we have never held a public auction. Now understand that since the popularity of the show(s) some storage shed owners have begun to auction units but to do so requires an auctioneers license, bonding yadda yadda. It's not worth the time or money.
        Last edited by NHMaster3015; 12-27-2013, 10:00 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

That's what happens when you cater to the lowest common denominator.

Comment

NHM....those laws you mention governing the way storage units are handled. Would you venture a guess that they are STATE laws?

The reason I mention this is that I used to do work for a guy that auctioned off units in Oklahoma. I didn't like him. He actually "got off" on auctioning other people's stuff. I've never even wanted to watch one episode, real or fake. Auctioning things that once belonged to other people is in fact a real thing that happens. Sure there are opportunities to save your stuff, but people don't save their stuff for a variety of reasons.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe where you are from this doesn't happen. But don't assume that it doesn't happen elsewhere.

Comment

Where did all this reality crap start? Was it survivor? I suppose that This Old House has to be one of the founding fathers too. Now, it's pretty much all that's on. I'm sitting here watching American Pickers fully aware that the entire show is crap but It's more entertaining crap than the other crap that's on. Maybe I'll get off my backside and snowblower the driveway instead.

Google says "the real world" was the 1st
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Not some, all. Lol

I have some experience with storage facilities in that I have about a 1/2 ownership share in one locally. There are laws governing the length of time and notifications necessary when someone abandons a unit but when all the legal stuff has been done believe me, the first guy into the unit is the owner(s) and anything of value gets instantly plucked and either kept or brought down to the local pawn shops or auction. We don't leave anything of value in there and we have never held a public auction. Now understand that since the popularity of the show(s) some storage shed owners have begun to auction units but to do so requires an auctioneers license, bonding yadda yadda. It's not worth the time or money.
                I imagine it is different State by State but a Lien is a legal proceeding and has certain rules. You must notify the renter, you must advertise the sale multiple times and any proceeds after the sale, over the cost of the rent, sales costs and Lien cost must be returned to the renter or the County within a year. The only person who has no obligations to the renter is the auction winner. I have been to a bunch of auctions and have made some good money from them. In addition, my partners in Utah own a bunch of them.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm sure states promulgate their own laws and such but the process is lengthy and costly. I'm not saying that folks don't leave behind good stuff either. What I am saying is that the storage company owner gets 1st dibs on everything left behind. No doubt some owners contact auction companies to liquidate the stuff they don't want or want to bother with. One of the local places here does open unit yard sales a couple time a year. We take the good stuff to a local auction house (off site) and pay to have the garbage ( which is probably 90% ) taken to the dump
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                    NHM....those laws you mention governing the way storage units are handled. Would you venture a guess that they are STATE laws?

The reason I mention this is that I used to do work for a guy that auctioned off units in Oklahoma. I didn't like him. He actually "got off" on auctioning other people's stuff. I've never even wanted to watch one episode, real or fake. Auctioning things that once belonged to other people is in fact a real thing that happens. Sure there are opportunities to save your stuff, but people don't save their stuff for a variety of reasons.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe where you are from this doesn't happen. But don't assume that it doesn't happen elsewhere.
                    I didn't say it doesn't happen. I said it doesn't happen the way most folks are led to believe it happens.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm sure states promulgate their own laws and such but the process is lengthy and costly. I'm not saying that folks don't leave behind good stuff either. What I am saying is that the storage company owner gets 1st dibs on everything left behind. No doubt some owners contact auction companies to liquidate the stuff they don't want or want to bother with. One of the local places here does open unit yard sales a couple time a year. We take the good stuff to a local auction house (off site) and pay to have the garbage ( which is probably 90% ) taken to the dump
                      In the States I am familiar with, that would be illegal.

Mark

Comment

I just caught the last 7 minutes of a new "reality" show last night on, I think natgeo, It's called Cold River Cash. it's based in Maine around Elveer fishing (ells that the Asains can't get enough of for some reason).

7 minutes was not enough time to judge what a farce it will become, but as someone that speaks with a thick Mainer accent it's nice to hear it on the TV even if the coastal accent is a bit different then us inland folk.

I don't know why these guys would even entertain being on a show as it will certainly slow down their production in a very short season, that can easily yield $15,000 on a good night.

Leads me to believe the "stars" are more concerned with becoming "famous" and would do anything for ratings
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

the first guy into the unit is the owner(s) and anything of value gets instantly plucked and either kept or brought down to the local pawn shops or auction.
                          My wife and I want to one a couple of weeks ago just to see what really went on. The first thing I noticed was the locks were all the same. So the owner apparently sells them or gives them out with the unit. He has keys to all of them. I thought the same thing. This guy is out several months rent on the locker to be auctioned, so what is to prevent him from rifling through it in advance? I know I would have a hard time leaving a $1000.00 painting in that locker.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            In the States I am familiar with, that would be illegal.

Mark
                            Here is the law in your State.

ยง 451-C:6. Sale
                            If any of the rent, charges, fees, or expenses referred to in this chapter shall remain unpaid for 30 days,
                            and after complying with the provisions of RSA 451-C:4 and RSA 451-C:5, the owner may sell such
                            personal property at a private or public sale, and the proceeds shall first be applied to satisfy such rent,
                            charges, fees, or expenses. Proceeds remaining after the sale and payment of rent, charges, fees, or
                            expenses to the owner shall then be paid to any lienholders of record, as their interests may appear, with
                            any remaining proceeds to be paid to the occupant.

http://www.insideselfstorage.com/lib...166D762BA1D%7D

Mark
                            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-27-2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Next you will be telling me professional wrestling is fake.
                              SSG, U.S. Army
                              Retired
                              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
                              X