15 below.... gas is now out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 15 below.... gas is now out

When the system is sized correctly the furnace will run non-stop and the outdoor design temperature and the inside design temperature will neither gain nor drop.

And if sized incorrectly, will the system also run non-stop but the stabilized interior temperature be much lower than the typical design criteria basis? (70-72 degrees F.)
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-07-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
      When the system is sized correctly the furnace will run non-stop at the outdoor design temperature and the inside design temperature will neither gain nor drop.

And if sized incorrectly, will the system also run non-stop but the stabilized temperature be much lower than the typical design criteria basis? (70-72 degrees F.)

When sized incorrectly it will run non-stop and lose temperature. It may or may not reach a stable level dependent upon the heat loss of the structure.

The larger the differential between indoor and outdoor temps the quicker the heat loss will be.

I dont know if "quicker" is the right term but you will get the idea for the simplification of the problem. There is also a certain point at which fiberglass insulation loses it's insulating quality, I seem to recall it's around -40 or so, so when temps go below this temperature other means of insulation are needed.
      Last edited by Plumber Punky; 01-07-2014, 06:38 PM.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

The "Forum" is many things including educational as proven by the last few posts. Thanks guys for sharing.

Comment

I hope you made out ok.
          My house in Maine all we use for heat is the wood stove. We do have wall propane heaters but we dont use them much at all.
          We have a crawl space where all the pipes are. When it got down to 25 below and 0 for the high for a couple days the temp down there never dropped below 45*. The house will stay 65* all night after we fill the stove with wood before going to bed.
          Always have some type of back up heat.
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
            Always have some type of back up heat.

people dont get this fine point you made. i have little to no sympathy for people who dont, especially in our cold climates. the worst? young people. old people know, and they have backups.
            ~~

Comment

Every outage due to system failure or storm damage is another opportunity to prepare for next time. There will always be a next time, how we face it is up to us! I have a generator, and at least five gallons of gasoline on hand. I have a buddy who has fifteen gallons of gasoline that he rotates monthy into his truck. How far we take this state of preparedness is also an individual decision. In the grand scheme of things how difficult is it to keep a little extra food, fuel, water and some other essentials on hand? Better to have it and never need it

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                Every outage due to system failure or storm damage is another opportunity to prepare for next time. There will always be a next time, how we face it is up to us! I have a generator, and at least five gallons of gasoline on hand. I have a buddy who has fifteen gallons of gasoline that he rotates monthy into his truck. How far we take this state of preparedness is also an individual decision. In the grand scheme of things how difficult is it to keep a little extra food, fuel, water and some other essentials on hand? Better to have it and never need it
                I bet you have a hidden bunker with food, water, dynamite, and boxes of ammo and weapons.
                ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                  I bet you have a hidden bunker with food, water, dynamite, and boxes of ammo and weapons.

Comment

Everything turned out fine with the house. Gas company came back in at 11:45pm after 30 hr outage and we turned everything back on. Neighbors had some breaks and drain backups but we were fine.

I definitely have an appreciation for back up heat. Had a couple space heaters. May pick up another big one off craigslist since some folks bought up everything the stores had.

josh

Comment

We do have a generator but I dont have the breaker box in yet. The only thing I need it for is water and the fridge. If we didnt have it I can put the food in a foyer that I can keep just above freezing. My water well has an over flow tube about 2 feet from the top where the water comes up the well pipe and goes into a cistern. I can put a bucket on a rope and get water for the toilet and other things.
                      We have food for a week.
                      Im set
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                      X