15 below.... gas is now out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 below.... gas is now out

I guess its going to be a long night staying away making sure everyone stays warm. Wonder how many pipes are going to burst around here.

Gas Service Issues Affect Lorain County Residents | FOX8.com

Re: 15 below.... gas is now out

Josh, some folks don't prepare for such weather , storm outages and other disasters. I have a small generator, fuel to keep it going and usually enough heating oil to last a couple of weeks. I know if the loss of power and fuel went beyond a certain point I would be forced to drain my heating system rather than face burst pipes. Regarding water pipes, I heard it's safer to have the water running a bit because running water won't freeze up as fast. Good luck.

Comment

hopefully nobody does the charcoal bbq thing indoors as they will wake up dead. same goes with generators running too close to the home. more so in summer months as windows would be open.

wonder if the gas suppliers regulators might have frozen. hope you have electric blankets. not much time to prepare late at night.

heat rises and with your new home, it should be better insulated than your old home. move the kids into all the same room and have a campout with them.

josh, just remember that new years week we had on the beach a few years back. 100f. not quite 100 today, but I was running my ac in the truck today. plenty of golfers on the course today. no snow to shovel. plus phoebe wants to meet timothy, titus and max. i'm sure with a heads up, we can throw a roundup for you. be here by sunday and you can play softball with steve and I.

ill pick you up at the airport and swing you by in-n-out.

any more reasons why you would pass up the opportunity? im sure mark, ben and adam can come up with some too.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I have to make sure my home stays in one piece. I definitely wouldn't mind the warmer climate though and the good fellowship.

Comment

I'm totally down for it and would be happy to accommodate. Here's a picture from yesterday.
          Attached Files
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

So... they have had to walk home to home and shut off all the meters. They will eventually fix the issue and come around and do a safety check then turn each home back on after they fix the supply.

Some neighbors homes have freezing pipes already. I think I am going to drain the whole house to prevent bursting. Is my thinking good or am I missing something?

Comment

Draining the house back is a good idea. Also, don't forget to add some RV anti-freeze to the toilet bowls/tanks, all the sink P-traps and even the floor drain. Probably a good idea to add a little to the dishwasher. I'm not sure what you should do for the clothes washer but maybe someone else here has a thought on that. Almost forgot, drain the water heater.
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

If its going to be cold enough to freeze, then shut it off and drain. Hopefully you can keep the inside warm enough to keep from having the toilet freeze.. probably just plunger out the toilets. At least while you're not home.

Isn't the new house pex? Should hold up better than copper with freezing.

If copper, can you plug in a ridgid pipe thawer on a timer to keep the system warm?

Do they know what happened? How many homes were affected?

Might want to get a few electric heaters before they're all gone.

how cold does your thermostat show inside the house?

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rumors abound about the cause, but it sounds like there was a supply line break on a street about 1/2 mile from us. We are more fortunate than other homes on our street in that we shut off the hot water heater and fire place and kept the furnace running for as long as we could. We are just now dipping into the 40s. others on our street are hitting the 30s and the gas company says it could be till tomorrow AM.

I feel bad for the gas company techs. They are walking house to house shutting off the meters so they can purge then bring each house back on line one by one.

Comment

on the water lines, If you have an air compressor and can blow the lines out as well, it will help, as it does not take very much water setting in a low spot to break a line.

I have wood stove we use most winter long, ( and it has chimney oven on it as well)

the furnace, (had a problem with the circuit board last year on the furnace, it was intermittent problem) it is now repaired.

and I added a small heater, that is on a millivolt system so no power needed (currently it is on a separate tank even LP )

( two LP tanks one 500 and one about 1200 gallons) , in the spring I will tie them together when the ground is thawed, but so each can be used separately.

and our kitchen cook stove is LP and will operate with out power as well,

If need I have three different generators, that some how I accumulated over the years,
                    the one I use most is the one built in to the welder, on the welding truck, but have two in the generator shed a 30kw three phase and a small 4kw unit both set to run on LP or gasoline.
                    Last edited by BHD; 01-07-2014, 10:17 AM.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                      So... they have had to walk home to home and shut off all the meters. They will eventually fix the issue and come around and do a safety check then turn each home back on after they fix the supply.

Some neighbors homes have freezing pipes already. I think I am going to drain the whole house to prevent bursting. Is my thinking good or am I missing something?
                      if the house wasnt designed to be drained it wont reliably drain. there will always be little traps. so, drain the hwt, blow out all the lines with air, install isolation valves on the hwt with a valved bypass, and pump it full of RV antifreeze. pump it in and open each faucet until each tap flows red. flush all toilets and allow the valves to flush with red. remember to fill all shower, toilet, and sink drains. try cycling the dishwasher and washer machines if you can.

a low volume/low pressure pump would be ideal for the job. something that wont push more than 50 psi deadheaded. that way, you can shut off all taps and flush at your leisure. remember to turn any ball valves to 1/2 closed. this will allow some valves to purge the valve body sides. some have open cavities on the sides.

it's -5F here now with 35 mph winds. windchill is fluctuating between -30 and -40. the furnace is running full tilt non-stop and the house is maintaining 65 degrees. everyone thought i was crazy to design for 0 degrees, most contractors design for 5 or 10 degrees here... bet my neighbor across the street regrets it now that their kitchen is 48 degrees...
                      Last edited by Plumber Punky; 01-07-2014, 12:15 PM.
                      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Josh you are faced with a serious decision whether to drain or risk breakage. Depending on the sq footage of your house and how well it is insulated, have you considered electric space heaters for the short term? One in each room should be enough to keep it above freezing and save the the trouble of draining down and then filling and bleeding at startup. Only you can decide the cost vs work factor. Goes without saying children and space heaters are another concern, but the new ones are not hot to the touch and shut off if knocked over. Good luck. Looking past this event, is there any way to prepare for a future outage?

Comment

Josh,

Sorry to hear of your gas troubles and hopefully they'll get that fixed within the next 24 hours. At this point I would have to agree with Franki about getting some electric space heaters. I don't know the details of your home, but if it has a basement (hopefully), even one space heater there might be enough to keep it above freezing and I'd add a heater to bathrooms, kitchen and main family living space. That will cost you a bit, but around here electric space heaters are on sale.

Plumber Punky: I'm not familiar with where "Springville, NY" is or the size of your home. But by your description of building to "0 degrees", I'm wondering what considerations for that are required. I've got this ancient old house down here in Binghamtom, NY, which was built in 1887 and has about 2800 sq ft, counting the walk-up attic. Right now, the thermostat is set to 71, it's 72 degrees in the dining room where the thermostat is located and the furnace hasn't come on in almost 20 minutes. Outside temp is Zero and the wind is pretty steady at around 15 mph with gusting to maybe 20-25 mph. The upstairs library is probably the coldest room in the house at about 58 degrees (which is liveable for me).

Our furnace is forced hot air with an outside A/C system... probably about 20 years old. While the attic and roof is insulated, we generally don't heat it (no duct work up there), but we do have 220 electric baseboard up there (that's my back-up should we loose gas). Unfortunately I'm screwed if we loose power, and I'd be forced to use the fireplace which would be of no help to plumbing or any other room in the house. That is in good condition, but we don't use it as my wife doesn't like it... but it's there and it got inspected and cleaned this past summer.

Draining the plumbing I'm afraid wouldn't be the easiest thing though. Fortunately the only outside wall plumbing is in our kitchen which we remodeled a few years ago when we bought this place. Thanks to a lousey job by the original contractor and a fozen copper burst the following year, we now have that redone with PEX and better located and insulated. Still, it would have to be drained as would the two bathrooms and whatever else that would be required. (this was an educational.. so thanks to everyone.)

Still, what Josh and his neighbors are going through would be a disaster for us I think and I'd find myself scrambling. I hope the situation there is quickly remedied.

God bless,

CWS

Comment

According to the Lorain County Emergency Management & Homeland Security...
                            Oh Lord... The Fookin' Feds are involved?
                            It'll be spring before your service is restored, it'll cost fifteen times more than it should and it'll only work half as well as it once did.
                            Prayers for you, your family and your neighbors.
                            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post

Plumber Punky: I'm not familiar with where "Springville, NY" is or the size of your home. But by your description of building to "0 degrees", I'm wondering what considerations for that are required. I've got this ancient old house down here in Binghamtom, NY, which was built in 1887 and has about 2800 sq ft, counting the walk-up attic. Right now, the thermostat is set to 71, it's 72 degrees in the dining room where the thermostat is located and the furnace hasn't come on in almost 20 minutes. Outside temp is Zero and the wind is pretty steady at around 15 mph with gusting to maybe 20-25 mph. The upstairs library is probably the coldest room in the house at about 58 degrees (which is liveable for me).

I am about 35 miles SE of Buffalo, NY.

When a heating system is designed a manual j heat loss calculation is made. It takes into account the structure type, insulation type/quality/quantity, window and door types and things like that. For the calculation to be made an ideal indoor temperature and an outdoor design temperature are needed. Indoor is usually 70-72 degrees, outdoor design is based on charts set up by NWS, AHRI, and a few other firms. The charts are updated occasionally. Contractors rarely used these charts and made a guess of what the lowest outdoor temperature would be. Guess too low and you could oversize the unit for 99% of the normal run time of the system. Guess too high and the system won't keep up during the coldest days of the year.

The guy that put in the neighbor's system always guessed too high. He designed for 10 degrees. When I installed my newer system I designed for 0 degrees. At -5 outdoor the house starts to lose temperature down to about 65 degrees indoor and stabilizes. The neighbor's house stabilized at 48 degrees inside temperature.

When the system is sized correctly the furnace will run non-stop at the outdoor design temperature and the inside design temperature will neither gain nor drop.

Last edited by Plumber Punky; 01-07-2014, 05:32 PM.
                              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                              X