Pipe thawing machine overheating??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe thawing machine overheating??

I've never used a pipe thawer before and am wondering if anybody can give me some input? I just bought a used pipe thawing machine an (icebreaker #350) for pretty cheap two hundred and fifty bucks, and I noticed the cables and clamps get extremely hot, too hot to even touch is this normal or is something wrong with my machine?

Re: Pipe thawing machine overheating??

make sure you connect them at least 10 feet apart. also, stretch out the cables so they arent on top of each other and dont cross each other. and DONT use them on carpeting.

make sure the clamps make good contact and the contact points are clean and non pitted. too hot to touch is out of the ordinary.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Is this a take off on using a portable arc welder? The only pipe thawing machine I was familiar with when living in the Michigan Tundra was a steamer. Did someone actually come up with a safe way to thaw pipes? I imagine it can only be used on metal pipes.
      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

yes, it's a glorified welder machine. basically a giant transformer with a tiny cooling fan. only can be used on metal pipes. the electricity flowing through the pipes creates a resistance heating element out of the pipe surface.

here's ridgid's version:

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/kt190-kt200-pipe-thawers
        Last edited by Plumber Punky; 01-10-2014, 11:03 AM.
        ~~

Comment

yes, it's a glorified welder machine. basically a giant transformer with a tiny cooling fan. only can be used on metal pipes. the electricity flowing through the pipes creates a resistance heating element out of the pipe surface.
          I have never done it, but my Dad many years ago would thaw galvanized pipes with his portable welder. It got a bit hot sometimes, but it got the job done.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I thought about getting one. Around here you can run into oddball piping installs! Galvanized to copper, CPVC etc. Imagine thawing a transition fitting that is threaded together, and then melting the sealant?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
              I thought about getting one. Around here you can run into oddball piping installs! Galvanized to copper, CPVC etc. Imagine thawing a transition fitting that is threaded together, and then melting the sealant?
              it doesnt get that hot.
              ~~

Comment

Working...
              X