Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really? Who drives a standard anymore?

Well, if nothing else, it is certainly cheaper than an anti-theft device!
    Springfield police: Would-be carjackers thwarted by manual transmission | masslive.com

The three of them probably were arguing what that third pedal was for the whole time.
    Last edited by tailgunner; 01-15-2014, 09:57 PM.

Re: Really? Who drives a standard anymore?

i can drive a standard. it's very enjoyable. my second car was a standard. i wish more newer large vehicles had them even as an option.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Everything I drive is a standard. No problems. No robberies either. Yet.

Comment

I miss my five speed 1980 Maxima. I miss my Telco construction trucks, aerial buckets, rodding trucks, auger trucks, etc. In my opinion driving a standard shift forces the driver to be more alert and aware of their vehicle, speed and road conditions.

Comment

hard to text when all your extremities are in use
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

My last 2 trucks have been manuals. Not sure my next will be. But I do like it.

Comment

My car is a manual.

Comment

Nothing against manual transmissions however for city driving they are the pits! First gear, second gear, sometimes third gear, stop for a red light then do it all over again and again.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

local full service car wash chain give a $0.50 hour bonus to staff that can drive a manual transmission vehicle on and off the wash.

Comment

My first brand new car was a 65' VW (bug)... it had a 4-speed stick. My previous car was my Dad's old 56' Mercury (automatic) which I had bought from him. So when I got behind the wheel of my new VW at the dealership, the standard shift was my first car experience and I HAD to get it off the lot, hopefully with some since of grace! Fortunately my Dad had given my great instructions about easing off the clutch while giving it some gas. I did have a little experience with an old Ford farm tractor. Thankfully the VW with it's only 40HP engine made that first start-out pretty easy to do.

But three years later my new wife couldn't deal with "a shift" and we traded the VW, with it's 93K miles, for a new Plymouth Valiant (68' with the 'slant-six") which was automatic. Since then our primary vehicle has always been automatic.... BUT, thanks to a teenage son many years ago, I've managed to get him a first an old MGB-GT (split-tail) and then a Datson 200SX, both with standard and both of which he never drove (So I did.) Then in 1997 I bought a little used 95' Miata. It has a really short-throw 5-speed which is an absolute kick to drive. One feature the Miata has, and I don't know how unique that may be, is that the ignition will NOT engage unless you fully depress the clutch.

Our son is now 43, still doesn't like standard and can't drive one. He's currently driving a Prius, but before that had a Mini, with 'automatic'...What a waste!

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I apologize if I'm repeating this story but since it has to do with driving a standard shift car I thought it worth reposting. When I was a teenager before I had a license my dad taught me how to shift his 60 something rambler with three on the tree. I didn't really drive the car but I learned enough to get it in gear and move it a bit when we were on vacation in upstate NY. Several years later while working with a bunch of other young guys, one of them asked if anyone could drive a shift. Seems he bought a car several miles away and needed to get it close to the job until he could learn to drive a standard. I volunteered not knowing what to expect. Well, it was a 57 Chevy with a worked 327 high rise manifold, dual quad carbs, two electric fuel pumps and a heavy duty clutch. The thing was a rocket ship and although I stalled out a few times I managed to get it back to the job. I never drove it again but my buddy got real good with that car. Sure wish I could have it now.

Comment

I can be as nostalgic and old timey as the next guy however I want to go back to a standard transmission about as much as I want to go back to black and white TV. One of these days though I probably will go out and buy me one of those new fangled cell-you-lar telephone thingamajigs but I'm in no big hurry.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have to admit that I think the only manual I would probably buy in the future would be a sports car with a ton of hp! :-)

Comment

You wouldn't have to twist my arm to drive a Mustang GT with about 600 plus HP. I'll struggle through having to shift from traffic light to traffic light with a big smile

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uemq1PpA63M
                              26+6=1

Comment

Working...
                              X