Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They fought for us!

http://www.youtube.com/v/AgYLr_LfhLo...hl=en_US&rel=0

Re: They fought for us!

Very touching! Not easy to get the kids to unplug from those electronics. Making matters worse are the new headphones they wear which are big like the ones we had for our stereo systems thirty years ago. My nephew wears them getting off the school bus and I told him to at least take one side off his ear so he could hear a car if it drove around the bus. I was waiting to pick up my neice from a driving lesson today and I watched her walk along the street eyes focused on her "smart" phone and not where she was walking. God help this distracted generation. They are not only oblivious to the past, they are missing real life in the present as they are hypnotized by their phones, ipods and computer tablets.

Comment

Thanks Plumbus, that can't be said often enough.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Now come WW11 was over before I was born and I am in my mid sixties and even for me it has become boring I can image how those youngsters feel with their iPhones

Tony

Comment

With three brothers and a BIL in WW11 I (along with the rest of the family) was glued to the radio news casts. (Too young for the service) Uncle Sam discovered Korea so I could have my chance. :smile old: This video says it all!!!

Comment

Excellent and moving.

Sure, this generation seems distracted by all the technology and toys but our military is proof that there are still plenty of Americans willing to put their smart phones aside and fight for this nation
            sigpic

Comment

That feeling is so much a part of my growth that I find it hard to comprehend the lack of respect and the ignorance of those who neither know or simply don't care about those who serve, now or in the past.

I was born 'out of the war' so to speak, in 1944. My father met my mother while he was in training in North Carolina. He was in the Pacific when I was born. He and four of his brothers were all serving in various military branches, all signing up in the first months of 1942. My Uncle Laurance had been lost on the USS Oklahoma at Peal Harbor.

While my Dad never spoke to me about the war or his own experiences, I was able to gleen small bits over the many years. The old farm house in Wellsboro where my grandparents lived was filled with memories from Uncle Lawrences pre-war time in the Navy, with souviners from the Phillipines and other Pacific sailings and on one whole wall in the dining room hung pictures of "the boys" in thier uniforms, and various snapshots of them and their comrads. Navy, Air Corp, Army, Marines... horizontally-long 'rotoscope' pictures of thier units, etc.

Growing up I personally got to meet many men who had served in the war. One of my best friend's father was a Colonel, third wave at Normandy and served all the way to Berlin. Another friend had been an American volunteer in the RAF, serving in the Battle of Britain. And I even had a friend who served in the German Panzers, seeing service in North Africa and the Russian Front, falling back from Normandy, being captured soon after 'The Buldge'.

A few of these guys would talk of some of their experience, usually only the funny stuff though. My Dad would only speak of friends and places, but never of the hell of any of it. Only among those old friends and his brothers would there be slight mentions of such things. As a young boy 'with big ears', one might catch only a glimpse, but only if they thought you were out of the room.

I've also known a few Korean war veterans and certainly I've had many friends who served in Vietnam and elsewhere, with a few being wounded and too many coming away with emotional scars.

Yet today, there are so many younger people who don't have a clue, and worse don't want to know. To them is just boring history, doesn't matter and it doesn't relate to anything that matters to their lives today... or so they think.

CWS

Comment

I went through elementary and high school with the son of Silvestre S. Herrera. Seeing and hearing how much he sacrificed, all through school, shaped my attitude about all veterans, which is deep respect. I saw it as a duty to pass it on. I guess others not so much.

Silvestre S. Herrera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Working...
                X