Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are these?

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    Glazers points? I have a jar of them in the shop. Need some?
    I have the tool to set them & the iron to heat up the putty to remove it.

I worked @ a hardware store part-time starting when I was 12 until I graduated high school.

When the owner decided to retire & close the store he gave me those & bunch of other tools

including a Ridgid pipe machine that I still use today.

That place was a wealth of knowledge & very good learning experience.

He had a bunch of retired guys from different fields of construction that worked part-time for him.

I think they would have worked for free, because they loved hanging out there.

They would even stop in on their days off just to shoot the bull.

It's a shame places like that are not around here anymore.

Comment

So some know and have window points but I wonder how many know how to properly cut and set a window pane and for that matter how many remember mixing putty from powder and linseed oil?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
        I have the tool to set them & the iron to heat up the putty to remove it.

I worked @ a hardware store part-time starting when I was 12 until I graduated high school.

When the owner decided to retire & close the store he gave me those & bunch of other tools

including a Ridgid pipe machine that I still use today.

That place was a wealth of knowledge & very good learning experience.

He had a bunch of retired guys from different fields of construction that worked part-time for him.

I think they would have worked for free, because they loved hanging out there.

They would even stop in on their days off just to shoot the bull.

It's a shame places like that are not around here anymore.
        Sounds identical to my local hardware store. I started too at age 14 in jr. High worked there 2 days during the week and on weekends.

Now joey helps out on sundays. Phoebe even has a screen saver on the computer/ register. And I can still find old items I hand labeled 36 years ago.

3rd. Generation family owned with a few outside employees. 1 non family guys been there 38 years.

They no longer sell guns. That went out over 50 years ago.

They do a lot of screen work, glass, locks, and paint. Not much threading pipe as it use to be. Also lots of hard to find plumbing stems. But even those are less common now with washerless fixtures.

Lots of charge accounts for apartment owners and contractors.

When they have a "do it best" sponsered sale, thier prices are hard to beat. Contractors and apartment owners get 20% off everyday prices.

Nothing like the local mom and pop hardware store.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

There's not many left thanks to Home Depot and lowes.
          sigpic

Comment

I have a fancy little gun that shoots the pint in. The Fletcher Terry Company

I do not do as many window as I did, but there is still a lot of wood windows around here, in out buildings and there still seems to a number of houses that have not had the windows replaced,

I have one in the barn that I need to do right now, (but is an odd size so I wont replace it for now, putting plastic glass in it)

there making a vinyl window that is or looks like a old shash out build window now, and am replacing then with those .
            Attached Files
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              So some know and have window points but I wonder how many know how to properly cut and set a window pane and for that matter how many remember mixing putty from powder and linseed oil?

Now I don't feel like I'm getting old. When I started there in 1976 we used putty from a can.

I have the glass machine also, It has (2) heads (1) for cutting glass & (1) for cutting plexiglass.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                3rd. Generation family owned with a few outside employees. 1 non family guys been there 38 years.

Nothing like the local mom and pop hardware store.
                Rick.
                He closed up, because none of his kids wanted to run the store, he was ready to retire, he saw the big boxes stores coming & he could make more money by sub-dividing the store & renting it out.

He was the first to close, but within 10 years none of the others were open (HD opened nearby 2 years after he closed)

He had 50,000 sq. under roof. His wife is doing well with the rental income & his kids wish they would have gotten involved in the business, because that is not the only rental property she owns.

That place was great. It was one of the local hangouts.

I think I still have a couple of display boxes of old stems. I do not remember the brand, but remember the boxes being orange with black letters.

I will have to look in one of the barns.

I also have the paint shaker.

Comment

Working...
                X