What are these?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these?

Found these in a drawer at the shop. Who knows what they are. Come on, show your age
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NHMaster3015; 01-22-2014, 07:32 PM.
    sigpic

Re: What are these?

They are either simple stamps to press numbers into sheet metal, or numbered chips that used to hang from valves and shower heads on old military bases.

Comment

No and no again but nice try.
      sigpic

Comment

BINGO!

Practice lottery numbers..first generation before power ball

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks but......no

I'm thinking someone from the colder winter climates might know.
          sigpic

Comment

freeze plugs
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

they look to be made of lead. so much for large stamps for stamping meter numbers or valve numbers.

what happened to #7 ?

do they act as a weight for determining some kind of adjustment?

old school yes, but not cold weather. can't say I've ever seen those.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

They would have to be reveresed to be stamps. The missing one shows how thin they are and since they only go up to 25 with no zero I figure they do represent some sort of label or marking. Sitting here trying to guess and figure they might be some kind of tokens? If knowing would show our age, and it has to do with "colder climate" maybe coal tokens? Don't look like ration tokens. I'm probably wrong because they are not detailed enough. ?????
                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-23-2014, 12:47 AM.

Comment

There numbers you know 1 2 3 4 5 6 and so on

Tony

Comment

It's an old math game. The point of the game was to make all rows add up to the same number. I did a little research its called magic squares.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_square

This is just my guess as to what it is.
                    Last edited by TOD; 01-23-2014, 07:54 AM.
                    SSG, U.S. Army
                    Retired
                    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Tree markers for maple sugaring?

Comment

Any old carpenter will tell you they are numbers that were attached to storm and screens (you know, the old wooden framed ones) to make it easy to find the right window to put the units on.

Comment

They got punched into wood sill of window, and bottom rail of storm windows. Thanks for the memories , those were simple great times.
                          Did I win a trip on the Mt. Wash. cog railroad ? Celtic 1
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                            Any old carpenter will tell you they are numbers that were attached to storm and screens (you know, the old wooden framed ones) to make it easy to find the right window to put the units on.
                            Honest Kid, I didn't read any post before I posted mine ! My Dad still got to cursing every change over! I'm 71 end of month, I think You beat Me , right ?
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

In 1969 we bought our first home, which had been built in 1915 and we were the second owners. (It was owned by a little old lady who only drove it on Sundays ) While I might agree with the idea that these were for marking storm windows, our house had the original wood-framed storms and they were marked with brass letters, which matched the letter on the exterior inner side of the window frame. So you matched the "A" storm with the "A" window.

In the case of that particular house, there were two cleat-like fasteners at the top of the exterior window frame and you hung the storm's hangers (sort of like and upside down "U" on those cleats. IIRCC there were two wing-like fasteners near the bottom sides that you turned to hold the storm windows in place.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X