• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young girl on a plane

An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned
    To her and said, "Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike
    Up a conversation with your fellow passenger."

The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total
    ... Stranger, "What would you want to talk about?"

"Oh, I don't know," said the atheist. "How about why there is no God,
    Or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?" as he smiled smugly.

"Okay," she said. "Those could be interesting topics but let me ask
    You a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same
    Stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns
    Out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?"

The atheist, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence,
    Thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I have no idea." To which
    The little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss
    God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don't know sh*t?"

And then she went back to reading her book.

Re: Young girl on a plane

Considering the amount of **** and the bull **** religions have produced over the years I would say that the little girl has a handle on ****.
    sigpic

Comment

NHM, I have pondered the existence of a "God" throughout my life. When I was much younger I thought as you did, and found religions a damaging crutch for the ignorant, the desperate. The older I get, the more I'm impressed with the complications of man, nature, the sciences. I try to think beyond my circumstance, beyond our world, the known universe, all the theories and beliefs. I am left with the thought that all I see and believe is more than chance and that goes our existence and the existence of all living creatures. Perhaps there is a God, many Gods, and if so where did he/she or they come from? So many possibilities, so many questions that will never be answered to my satisfaction. I've heard a little education will take man away from belief in God, but more will bring him back. I don't need belief to bring me peace of mind, explain the unknown, or remove my fear of death. I don't need structured religion to define my beliefs. I do need an open mind to the possibilities because I find it far too simple to either believe in a higher power, or not!

Comment

Religion is a wonderful thing until you let man in to screw it up.

If you could take away all the killing in the name of, ignorance in the name of and greed in the name of I suppose religion might serve a purpose.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

If you could take away all the killing in the name of, ignorance in the name of and greed in the name of I suppose religion might serve a purpose.
          I've never killed in the name of Religion nor has anyone I know.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I suppose atheism might serve some purpose as well if advocates were not trying to rewrite history by removing religious symbols from historic sites or books.

Comment

Mark, it is good that you personally don't know anyone who has killed in the name of God or as a following of their religion. However history, even today's News, is full of over-zealous, self-rightious killing in the name of God, or whatever God those in conflict might believe.

In general though, I don't believe in participating in organized religion. My mother was Babtist, my father Methodist, my wife Catholic, and I've had many friends of various religions; and I've got a couple of Uncles who are "Church of God" evangilists. I look at the corruption of the church, many different churches and I see so much mental corruption and misunderstanding of what I feel is the true purpose of religion. I see so many that are self-righteous to the point that they don't see their own faults or how far their religeous learnings have corrupted them into thinking that they are better than others, that they are part of a priviledged few, that thing that God only loves them and their brethen.

I joke that religion should be a lot like sex... you don't need a crowd and you certainly don't need a cathedral. My relation with God is strickly between the two of us. I try to be good, to be fair, to treat others equally, and I say my prayers every single day, and on occasion a bit more.

Could I be wrong? Certainly! Is there I possibility that there is no God and that all the churches, the Bible, the Koran, and thousands of others religious writings are all just a joke on mankind? Possilbly! And could it be that mankind is no different than the rest of the animals and insects on the planet... we are born, we live, and we die... and that is the end of it all. A good possibility perhaps. But that shouldn't make a difference on how we live and how we understand and treat others. And if, just IF, there is a God... what then? Nothing wrong with believing, praying for others, and trying to do the right thing. But I do have a problem when we blame God for the faults and pains that find us all, or wonder whay our God hasn't saved us from the misery or disasters that confront us.

Obviously I don't have a lot of answers, but I sure don't want to deny the possibilities.

CWS

Comment

Mark; neither have I but you don't have to travel far to find those that have.

Some things atheists don't generally do

Set up missions in foreign lands with the purpose of spreading their word
                Build tax free houses of worship to spread their word
                Sweep across the land purging it of everyone that does not believe in their word
                Let their children die rather than take them to a doctor
                Have their own television channels to spread their word
                Have their own radio shows to spread their word
                Set up revivals to spread their word
                Publish a couple thousand books a year (and sell them) to spread their word and fill their pockets
                Have their own city
                Have their own holidays
                Strap bombs to themselves and blow innocent people up
                Stone their women to death
                Remove the heads of the infidels

Shall I continue? And yet you tell a religious person that you are an athiest and sit back and wait for the reaction from the pious hypocrites that justify their own sins and shortcomings while painting the atheist as evil and ignorant. Find me a religious war started by atheists LOL.
                Last edited by NHMaster3015; 02-13-2014, 11:08 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

NHM is clumping together the evil deeds done in the name of religion and the charitable work that has been of benefit to millions left to die by their governments. Atheists spread their own form of ignorance by trying to rewrite history and pushing their agenda against the will of the masses (no pun intended ). Correct me if I'm wrong but most atheists are liberals, and if they are as wrong about the existence of God, it's no wonder they support President Obama and his agenda. The radical islamists will take care of all the infidels starting with atheists. Maybe we should stop while we're ahead, and have a head?

Comment

Mark; neither have I but you don't have to travel far to find those that have.

Some things atheists don't generally do

Set up missions in foreign lands with the purpose of spreading their word
                    Build tax free houses of worship to spread their word
                    Sweep across the land purging it of everyone that does not believe in their word
                    Let their children die rather than take them to a doctor
                    Have their own television channels to spread their word
                    Have their own radio shows to spread their word
                    Set up revivals to spread their word
                    Publish a couple thousand books a year (and sell them) to spread their word and fill their pockets
                    Have their own city
                    Have their own holidays
                    Strap bombs to themselves and blow innocent people up
                    Stone their women to death
                    Remove the heads of the infidels

Shall I continue? And yet you tell a religious person that you are an athiest and sit back and wait for the reaction from the pious hypocrites that justify their own sins and shortcomings while painting the atheist as evil and ignorant. Find me a religious war started by atheists LOL.
                    So, of the approximately 5,962,700,000 people of religion in the world, how many do you think have killed in the name of religion? As for spreading the word of God, the majority of the people in the world feel thats a good thing. Try to think of it as advertising.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I don't know but just one is a tragedy. As for the rest of the world thinking spreading the word is a good thing all I can say is that thus far it has had its drawbacks but maybe it just needs a couple more centuries of bigoted, self righteous war mungers to get things sorted out LOL
                      sigpic

Comment

Lighten up guys, it was just a joke.

I'll save my two cents on the opiate of the masses for my end game.

Comment

Frist of all ever one has a religion,

all religion is a set of rule beliefs or guidelines in which they live there lives by and usually set the goals they hope to attain,

some are biblically based some are based on other religious books, and some are personally based and some are combination of all the above, Nazi Germany was based on a religion of a supreme race.

but humanism which is normally the basics of atheism, in that man is evolving and becoming better and better, and it is that man is supreme, there is no longer god or room for a god,

NH you talk about killing, If my memory serves me correctly when the discussion of self defense has come up I think I remember you talking about how you possibly would defend your house property and life,
                          so that tells me in that in your set of beliefs (your religion), that you could take ones life to preserve your way of life. and my guess is that in a "just war" you may even take up arms to defend your country is that correct statement?

I am not defending one who in organized religion takes another life in pursuit of that religion, but I can see where it could occur,

I see daily on the news where people who are living there own religions, killing others. and I am reasonable confident that they are not doing do a organized religion. but to gods of money, drugs, pleasure, power, and the list goes on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

one statement you made earlier is 100% correct,

yes I do think some religions have flaws (major flaws) in them,

but my organized religion says man is a sinner, ("sinner" does not meet the requirements of GOD's Rightness or purity standards)
                          OK by your statement and my religion's statement,

WHO is the problem here? GOD or man.

who is the one who fails and does not meet GOD's standard, GOD or man?

so a belief that puts man central and as the only supreme, intelligence in the universe, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                          X