Evolution of Democracy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution of Democracy

I wonder if the plan proposed by the FCC to have government monitors in Newsrooms is part of the evolution of Democracy? I can't understand how any clear thinking American can consider this a good idea, or use of government resources. Government presence, or intervention into the free press is totally unacceptable in a free society. Wheter it is a democratic administration monitor at fox news or a republican administration monitor at cnn, the bottom line would be intimidation and gov't control of what we are "allowed" to see and hear of the news. Much as I was upset with the Bush administration, the Obama administration has taken bad things to a new level! We did not get the transparency we were promised. The promise of no same old dirty Washington politics was broken as well, and now this! I can't think of a more regressive policy. Maybe this was just another example of a few over enthusiastic individuals similar to those at the IRS who singled out the conservative groups?

Re: Evolution of Democracy

It is just another slow intrusion into our America. They have figured out that so many of our population has absolutely no common sense and no intellectual property that they can manipulate them with a variety of tactics. Just look at the NOAA, NSA, IRS, etc. buying millions of rounds of ammunition, there is absolutely no good reason for this, other than future plans of intimidation and/or take over. A lot of things really scare me that have happened in the last four years or so, this type of stuff; the fact that at any point if a conservative raises a concern over bascially anything they are labelled a racist, the fact that the government is entitled now to bail out the insurance comapnies that lose money due to Obamacare, to the by passing of our laws by the president, I don't see a good outcome at all, and pray that at some point a voice of reason will come to the surface that can get us tracked correctly, and soon.

Comment

Franki,

Where did you here this story about an FCC proposal for having "government monitors in the newsroom"?

nykrental,

"Just look at the NOAA, NSA, IRS, etc. buying millions of rounds of ammunition, there is absolutely no good reason for this, other than future plans of intimidation and/or take over."

This was discussed quite a few months ago, may even a year or more. So as far as the ammunition rumor is concerned, please read "http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/ssabullets.asp" We've got enough (non-military) employees tasked with responsibilities that can often be confrontational or have self-protection needs that small arms are required. I do not think that they are individually responsible for the purchase of their own ammunition and/or weapons. For these agencies to solicit bids on a couple hundred rounds of ammunition is certainly not an 'eyebrow raising' event.

It always amazes me how these rumors grow to absurd levels and without any reasoning. But, even if the U.S. government were so corrupted as to make such a move, don't you think they have enough stockpiles of weaponry and ammunitions to just move ahead? What do you think the military is going to do should we face an external threat... quickly put in an order for ammo? Really? No my friend, they've already go enough to handle most any situation whether it's external or internal.

CWS

Comment

CWS, you can't possibly make informed opinions if you do not have thorough information of what is happening around you. ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN have no mention of this story on their sites. Fox News mentioned this and if you would like to watch the video and comment, here it is. If you only watch liberal news, you only get half of the News.
        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Frankie, you chose a poor video to prove your point. All that showed was a lot of "what ifs"," could this be", and "how will this change". Typical Fox BS. But then, It does fit in with "the sky is falling".

Comment

Kid, the video was excellent and to the point. You are not seeing it with an open mind, so you immediately find fault. I suggest you replace "The Obama Administration" with the words, The Bush Administration. That should help you understand the importance of such a move by the FCC under President Obama, and how repressive it is to All of us regardless of party affiliation. You and CWS can choose to keep thanking eachother while in denial of the facts, guess you can't see the sky falling with your head in the sand.

Comment

"
              Kid, the video was excellent and to the point." Frankie, if you think that was excellent and to the point, I have a bridge to sell you!

Comment

Both Fox and MSNBC and/or other extreme polar medias are more often than not idiots to me. Those that really follow either diatribe are also the same for me. Offended? I don't apologize.

I read around several places and it IS a real supposed "study". The simplest information I got as it's supposed intent is....

"The Multi-Market Study of Critical Information Needs, which aimed to help the commission figure out how to lower entry barriers for minorities in broadcasting, may now be on hold."

I don't care for any "study" that is supposed to lower entry barriers for minorities in broadcasting. I don't care what race of people are in broadcasting. They can be all Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, men, women, or whatever mixed percentage that the free market allows provided the information is well presented and accurate. Best person for the job.

I also don't care for ANY "study" and questioning by the FCC about how the press does it's business. Information can and historically will be used with bias for a person or organizations agenda.

Comment

Forgot to cite my quote: FCC Reworking Controversial Study [Updated] | Adweek

Comment

Fox NEws is not my only source for news, I am often offended and upset by their slant on Unions, minimum wage and other topics. Unfortunately I cannot get all the News by watching ABC, CBS,NBC, etc. I feel by watching All, or more of the News, I have a better chance of being well informed. You can call me an idiot for watching more of the News but I think I am less ignorant than those who only watch part of it. No offense taken, you only know what you know.

Comment

There are some Franki that dedicate themselves to one or the other extreme. Those are "idiots" to me.

Doesn't make me right, just my opinion. I'm sure they often look at me as their "idiot".

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                        There are some Franki that dedicate themselves to one or the other extreme. Those are "idiots" to me.

Doesn't make me right, just my opinion. I'm sure they often look at me as their "idiot".
                        Bob, I don't think either of us are idiots! Once you close your mind off to opposing views or new information you fail to grow.

Comment

If any one doesn't think this is a issue ! You would probably vote to vote for Obuma again

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            Bob, I don't think either of us are idiots! Once you close your mind off to opposing views or new information you fail to grow.
                            Sorry Franki, I didn't see your link to this story (as reported before, too many links don't show up on my browser, though I did get Plumber's). But that is no reason whatsoever for you to start slinging insults!!!! I do admit that I don't watch Fox News (that's sort of an oxymoron though)... there's a big difference between reporting the News and trying to MAKE the News. I do not consider FOX to be anything more than conjecture reporting for the sake of inciting conflict. And in this particular case, I can see why they might want to pump up this particular issue.... THEY don't know that difference and use their position all too often to push their own political agenda. From what I can see, this FCC objective is to simply ask the question, "Is your network, station, newsroom, reporters, writers, camera personalities, REPORTING the News, or what? Do you have an opportunity to ask questions, object to stories, etc. or are you under the influence of sponsors and management to tell a story, even an unverified one... and to that end, who is the audience that you are targeting and to what purpose would that story be broadcast. And are you fair, when it comes to equality and purpose at all levels of your broadcast responsibility?

Here is the actual FCC document: http://transition.fcc.gov/bureaus/oc..._6_markets.pdf

I haven't read it all the way through, but I don't see any restrictions or governmental regulations/restrictions there. (I do see inquiry by a government agency responsible for the fair and equitable use of the airways.)

But what I do see is an element of effort to define somehow whether a station granted their license to operate on U.S. airwaves is a bonafide NEWS organization or just a propagandized political mouthpiece. I see Fox as the latter, in most of it's broadcasts... they tell the story as if it were News, when in fact is is mostly conjecture and highly slanted toward telling their point of view only.

As far as MY News is concerned... I gather it from many different sources, NPR, CBS, NBC, ABC, the BBC, API, NYT, WSJ, Washington Post and several periodicals. Obviously I didn't get this story, because it wasn't really much to it. To disagree with any particular source doesn't mean anyone has a "closed mind" as you put it. It simply means that a person may well have enough sources of information to see the a particular point of view is so off the beat that it has no basis of importance. And of course I catch this forum almost every day, as I'm sure you'll be the first to post which part of the sky is falling this week.

Keep up the good work, with your deep understandings of world events,

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 02-20-2014, 07:59 PM.

Comment

CWS, you are free to disagree with Fox or any other source but you fail to even listen! There in lies the problem, you admit to being closed minded because you only listen to part of the News that is out there. The insults by your "thanks" partner of the "the sky is falling" and a bridge to sell me slipped your attention. I maintain that to ignore all or more of the news is to be ignorant on some level. You would say the same of me if I refused to be open minded to a story reported on CNN and not covered by Fox.
                              " (I do see inquiry by a government agency responsible for the fair and equitable use of the airways.)" CWS, did you read your quote and think it through? Maybe you want to live in a country where the goverment decides what News is "fair and equitable", but that is not what the free press is all about! I'm sure Fox News as well as CNN and the rest have made mistakes in reporting and issured corrections or retractions, but to say a goverment agency has the right to decide is what is reported is fair and equitable is outrageous. Try forcing yourself to watch Fox News, you might have your appetite for News renewed. You cannot be open minded and make harsh critisms of Fox if you fail to watch! I do and it's not a pleasant experience at times, but I have a more rounded understanding of things than if I only watched liberal News.

I know I do not have the "deep understanding" of world events as yourself, but I am open to learn which is more than you can say of yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X