Diabetic Alert Dog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetic Alert Dog

My 12-year old grandson is a Type 1 Diabetic. The high and low blood sugars are very hard on him. On some nights his parents are up all night watching and making corrections. He no longer can wake up on his own as his body as gotten use to the highs and lows. He has been hospitalized for this more than once.

We are hoping this will all chance on Thursday. On thursday he will be getting his new Diabetic Alert Dog. The dog will be with him 24/7. The dog is trained to his scent and will report (lift his paw and scratch his leg) when he has a high or low blood sugar level. If he does not respond the dog will go for help. We are really hoping this will work for him.

Mark
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-02-2014, 12:18 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Diabetic Alert Dog

saw a news story about this last week with a similar dog and person. never knew a dog could sniff out high and low blood sugars.

i might have to try it out next time we get together. my blood runs on pure cane sugar.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

The dog is working....you can't mess with the dog.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Actually they use a play toy in training that has the scent of high and low sugars. Might be why the honey bees like me so much.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I'm guessing the odors levels are unique to diabetic sufferers - not sure the change in sugar levels in a healthy person is enough to trigger the dog. The again maybe it is - I guess you can find out when you do your test Rick .

I also never knew they had service dogs for this.

Does the dog stay awake all night or can it wake up if there is a change in blood sugar levels in the patient?

Comment

Depending on the breed, a dogs sense of smell is 10,000 - 10,000,000 times greater than a human. For training purposes, Donavon has been bottling his scent at different blood sugar levels for months. While the dogs primary job is to watch Donavon, I have been told he will hit or report on me in time and I will need to carry treats for the dog.

Dogs are relatively light sleepers and in the real world they sleep during the day and hunt at night. Human interaction has taught dogs to sleep at night.

This dog is a Chocolate English Lab. Without any training, my English Springer Spaniel knows when my blood sugar is high or low. Because she has never been scent trained for it, it just confuses her.

Mark

Comment

I'm a bit suprised there are no medical devices on the market that can be implanted and then send the sugar levels wirelessly to a monitor. I have a friend who is involved in developing medical devices and thought he mentioned something like this. It is possible I could be mistaking it for a device designed for another condition or that such devices are still under development. But if it's not available now I'm sure it will be along soon.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                I'm a bit suprised there are no medical devices on the market that can be implanted and then send the sugar levels wirelessly to a monitor. I have a friend who is involved in developing medical devices and thought he mentioned something like this. It is possible I could be mistaking it for a device designed for another condition or that such devices are still under development. But if it's not available now I'm sure it will be along soon.
                There is a device which has a constant monitor recently approved and on the market but not for kids, especially active kids. Donavon plays on a Club/Travel Team Baseball, skateboards all over California and has just started doing BMX racing around the country. I am taking him to a race in Phoenix later this Month. However, what the meter won't do, is wake Donavon up or go look for help if Donavon is non responsive.

Mark

Comment

Nice looking dog.
                  Your grandson will be in good paws.
                  While Labs don't have the best sense of smell when comes to dogs they are in the top 5.
                  They are also very smart & protective.
                  I have had 3 Black Labs & my current one is a rescue( she was on death row) Black English Lab & Labs are the greatest.
                  I trained mind to track deer & they all could smell just a drop of blood.
                  Most people don't know that there are American & English Labs & that difference is there size.
                  English Labs are smaller.

Comment

How about calling Him,Her Sugar ? I'm type 2, Myself. Little Guy is in My prayers.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

My 10 1/2 yo son is type 1. It was discovered just after his 8th birthday. His blood sugar levels are checked multiple times daily. Probably 10+ times a day. We have testing meters in all vehicles, home, baseball bag and at school. These meters are in a kit/bag. In the bag are also glucose tablets, glucose gel and emergency glucose pen/needle. Bedtime testing is mandatory, in fact we check in advance just in case he needs adjustment that needs checking again. So far no problems but we are extremely vigilant. In fact he just checked and has a high enough glucose level to ride out the night without getting too low. He is a very responsible kid and that makes it much easier.

I highly recommend a pump. They are $8500 or so but insurance pays a good amount of that. Injections are now a site insertion once every 3 days and his blood sugar levels are much much, I'll say it again, MUCH more stable. Just to make sure it's clear, his blood sugar levels are much more stable. Buy the pump!

With constant rigorous monitoring, planning, redundancy and a good overall plan type 1 can be reduced to a maintenance issue.

David

Comment

They say he is too active for a pump. He will be riding for the "Type 1 BMX" team at the Winter Nationals in Phoenix in a week and a half. He also plays on a club/travel baseball team. Between crashing on his bike and sliding in to a base they are worried he will damage it.

Mark

Comment

That's odd. My son disengages his pump for baseball, swim meets, etc. and stores it in his kit/bag. His connection point remains stuck to him and gets a temporary plug. After the game a quick reconnect and away he goes. Feel free to ask any questions here or via pm if you wish to hear of our experiences.

David

Comment

I`m sorry to hear your grandson has type 1 diabetes Mark I`ve had type 2 for twenty years and it is a pain in the as=s where there has has been cures for every other decease the drug companies have us by the balls as they only seem discover new drugs every kind of testing machine all sort of up dated pumps and testing strips but no cure we are a captive audience and a money making machine for them

Tony

Comment

Diabetics are indeed a cash cow for the drug companies.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X