No announcement yet.

A RIDGID Forum Facelift Is On The Way!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A RIDGID Forum Facelift Is On The Way!

Ladies and gents,

The time has come to update the software platform that the RIDGID Forum is built upon and I wanted to give you a heads up that it is coming and to allow you to “kick the tires” a bit.

You can access the test site at the link below. As it is a test site, there might be a few things here and there not implemented yet but should be pretty close.

https://test.ridgidforum.com/

Yes, this means you have to get accustomed to seeing all the great threads you generate in a slightly different format but there will be some great enhancements too.

• Responsive design to enable better mobile and tablet viewing - 40% of you access the site this way already so this alone is worth the upgrade!
    • Improved search functionality – need I say more?!?
    • RSS feeds to our Facebook, YouTube & Pinterest social media sites – direct link to quickly see what’s new on those sites directly from the RIDGID Forum
    • Social sharing of threads to your own Facebook, Google+ and other social media sites
    • Site stability / uptime / security

We look to roll this out no later than mid-April so don’t be surprised when it changes the next time you log on!

Enjoy!

Re: A RIDGID Forum Facelift Is On The Way!

I tired and this is what I got.
    "There is a problem with this website's security certificate."

Comment

No problem from my smart phone.

Comment

I tried it..... Hate it...... But then, I hate anything new. Ask me how I feel about PEX
        sigpic

Comment

I also tried it, didn't notice anything that impressed me, which means that I find no reason to like it. It didn't seem to be broken before, so why try to fix it now??

Ron

Comment

Sorry to say but I'm not impressed.

That font size does not appear to be configurable as I could not find a way to change it and that will be a PITA on smaller screens like tablets and smartphones.

I got the security warning too, need to fix that.

My first impression from my tablet is I'm not impressed, but I will go back from my laptop and see what it looks like.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Are we going to lose any threads? Will the missing threads come back?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

"has a spectacular aura about" please define that? it comes up when I see my name and details. 4 little boxes filled in.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I hate change as much as the next guy, but I think these folks deserve credit for staying a step ahead in keeping The Forum up to date and running well. We will adapt!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    I hate change as much as the next guy, but I think these folks deserve credit for staying a step ahead in keeping The Forum up to date and running well. We will adapt!
                    Time and the tide wait for no man.

Hey Frankie, we haven't got into a decent argument in awhile. Feel like starting something? I'm bored and mark is underworked.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Time and the tide wait for no man.

Hey Frankie, we haven't got into a decent argument in awhile. Feel like starting something? I'm bored and mark is underworked.
                      I'll see what I can do.

Comment

I like the Forum changes at the new site. A couple of tweaks here and there & it will be a lot better.

Couple of things:

1) Try to make sure public videos show in the major browsers. IE, FireFox, Chrome, Opera, Safari. In some other forums you don't even have to click anything to paste the video link. Just put it in the text line, it shows up, and can be played right in the post. Possible?

2) Improve searches.

Comment

Originally posted by sdyer View Post
                          Ladies and gents,

The time has come to update the software platform that the RIDGID Forum is built upon and I wanted to give you a heads up that it is coming and to allow you to “kick the tires” a bit.

You can access the test site at the link below. As it is a test site, there might be a few things here and there not implemented yet but should be pretty close.

https://test.ridgidforum.com/

Yes, this means you have to get accustomed to seeing all the great threads you generate in a slightly different format but there will be some great enhancements too.

• Responsive design to enable better mobile and tablet viewing - 40% of you access the site this way already so this alone is worth the upgrade!
                          • Improved search functionality – need I say more?!?
                          • RSS feeds to our Facebook, YouTube & Pinterest social media sites – direct link to quickly see what’s new on those sites directly from the RIDGID Forum
                          • Social sharing of threads to your own Facebook, Google+ and other social media sites
                          • Site stability / uptime / security

We look to roll this out no later than mid-April so don’t be surprised when it changes the next time you log on!

Enjoy!

Does the responsive mobile and tablet access mean TapaTalk? I'd like that.

I checked out the new site. It's hard on the eyes, even for a younger guy like me Will there be options to change the forum colors?
                          Last edited by Plumber Punky; 03-31-2014, 08:35 PM.
                          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys! We will look into all suggestions and implement accordingly.

As for the upgrade itself, it is something that is long overdue and needed to address some backend security and administration issues on the current platform. In order to keep this a fun safe place to "play", we need to make the change.

As for the options, we are obviously limited by what the system offers. We will tweak the best we can to make it as enjoyable and user friendly as possible.

Keep the comments coming!

Comment

I have been on many forums over the years. One of the things which has always been a useful tool is private forums. We have them here for various reasons but they are underutilized. I would like to start by moving both the Business and a "to be created "Politics and Religion" forum. We have the discussions anyways but I would like the option of having them in a private area. That way those who do not care to participate don't need to and those who are too passionate can get a time out. I would also like to see private forums for the professional tradesmen while still maintaining the existing public tradesmen forums.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X