I'm A 10%er And Sad About It.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm A 10%er And Sad About It.......

On Tuesday past it was an election day here in WI. I was one of only slightly over 10% of eligible voters who decided to exercise their right to vote that day!! An alarming statistic when you factor in the fact that probably 90%+ of eligible voters feel they also have a right to complain about sitting politicians.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Re: I'm A 10%er And Sad About It.......

The lack of turn out indicates their frustration. The people are saying it doesn't matter who we get, they're all a bunch of self serving (fill in the blank).
    Last edited by Plumbus; 04-05-2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
      The lack of turn out indicates their frustrating. The people are saying it doesn't matter who we get, they're all a bunch of self serving (fill in the blank).

You may well be correct about voter frustration. To my way of thinking though, a citizen who has the right to cast a vote and doesn't take advantage of that right and privilege when it is time to use it is as much a part of the problem as those self serving (fill in the blank).
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

You are right Dave, they're part of the problem if they don't vote at least part of the time. I can understand where there may be an election where there is no one you want to support, but that can't be the case every time.

If voting were truly anonymous it might be different. I have heard people say that they are afraid of retaliation because of the way they vote. Around here your vote is not 100% anonymous, it's possible to see exactly who you voted for, not just which party. How you might ask? By reviewing the records of the voting machine, even the old mechanical ones, not just the newer computer based machines. It can be done by looking in the book you sign when you vote and finding the voter number next to your name on the record for that day. Then go to the machine you used to vote and look up the record for that voter number in the machine.

At least that is how it could be done here since we only have one voting machine for each voting district because the population is so small. I didn't dream this up, I had an elderly friend who has lived in this area tell me that was why he stopped voting in the 70s. He said he felt he had been denied a zoning variant because of how he had voted. I don't know if its true or not, I didn't live here in this area of the state in the 70s. But I can see it could be possible if someone wanted to go to the trouble they could find out exactly how you voted.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 04-05-2014, 05:28 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

When you don't vote, you cast a ballot for the status quot. you effectively give the guy that does vote, two votes
          sigpic

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeMGqTwWA6U
            26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              When you don't vote, you cast a ballot for the status quot. you effectively give the guy that does vote, two votes
              That's why Social Security and Medicare are so tough to reign in. Old folks vote at a much higher rate than those at the bottom of the pyramid.

Comment

As much as it sickens me to say this if you don't vote then you don't get the right to complain. What we are seeing here downunder is a swing towards accountability. Slowly as it may well be we are starting to harass our pollies and remind them that they are elected to be the voice of their constituents. Yes they are all self serving bastards with little or no conscience. What we have to do is remind them that we can kick them out as quick as we put them in.
                It goes without saying, just like every coin has two sides so too is there always two sides to an argument or other. There will always be those who agree and those that don't. There has to be concessions made for the good of the Country and the generations to come. We must do what is good for our kids and theirs to come.
                Just my humble opinion again though...............!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X