K400

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K400

I bought the K400 about 4 weeks ago because I got sick and tired of calling rotorooter every 3 years and paying them ridiculous amounts besides having to be here in a 4 hour time frame to meet their criteria. Anyway I live in a house in S.W. Michigan that was built soon after WW2 (47), it's got a crawl space underneath and does have an access plug in the sewer line but I would have to build a platform down there to put the machine on so I went through where the toilet bolts on. It is the manual one, I managed to get out a waste basket full of roots and by this time the water was draining really good, anyway I went back in with the auger (about 60 ft) and got it stuck good so I poured a bunch of rock salt down there, let it sit, repeated 12 hour intervals for 3 days and it finally yanked lose. Yep another bunch of roots came out but I decided not to go back in just yet. I'm still pouring down a lot of rock salt and I really don't care if it kills the Maple tree out in my front yard cause it has blight anyway. The K400 is really not made for sewer lines but the K60 was beyond my means and I had to make due with what I could. I can do double loads of laundry, load the tub full and it drains right down now but I know there still roots there but don't want to risk getting it stuck again. I'm curious about how well the 2" sprial cutter would work on this machine, if anyone has any experience with it I'd appreciate a reply. All in all the K400 does what it's designed to do very well and is really a heavy duty piece of equipment and the best part is it's made in U.S.A.
    I bought it at Home Depot, it was a refurb (basically returned by a customer without the C cutter) and I did get a good deal on it for $375 I wished that I had the C cutter during the process of stinking up my house

Re: K400

I have an older K-375 with is the same machine. 2 " root saw works fine.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Swap out the 3/8" cable to 1/2" and you'll have a little better luck with it in your 3" and 4" lines. Still not a root machine.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        I have an older K-375 with is the same machine. 2 " root saw works fine.
        I'm going to be ordering me one then, also is the rock salt (sodium chloride) a good idea or is there something better, I can't see any sense in paying a bunch of money for root killer when the rock salt does the same thing. Thanks for your reply . . . . for the time being I'm going to call it good and just keep dumping a big glass of rock salt in my toilet a few times a week at bedtime.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          Swap out the 3/8" cable to 1/2" and you'll have a little better luck with it in your 3" and 4" lines. Still not a root machine.

Rick.
          Oh yeah I'm sure of that Rick, it won't be long now and I can start drawing my social security, by that time I could probably afford the K60 (arm saver compared to the K400 manual) but I'm happy with this one for now.

Comment

Originally posted by giant056 View Post
            I bought the K400 about 4 weeks ago because I got sick and tired of calling rotorooter every 3 years and paying them ridiculous amounts besides having to be here in a 4 hour time frame to meet their criteria. Anyway I live in a house in S.W. Michigan that was built soon after WW2 (47), it's got a crawl space underneath and does have an access plug in the sewer line but I would have to build a platform down there to put the machine on so I went through where the toilet bolts on. It is the manual one, I managed to get out a waste basket full of roots and by this time the water was draining really good, anyway I went back in with the auger (about 60 ft) and got it stuck good so I poured a bunch of rock salt down there, let it sit, repeated 12 hour intervals for 3 days and it finally yanked lose. Yep another bunch of roots came out but I decided not to go back in just yet. I'm still pouring down a lot of rock salt and I really don't care if it kills the Maple tree out in my front yard cause it has blight anyway. The K400 is really not made for sewer lines but the K60 was beyond my means and I had to make due with what I could. I can do double loads of laundry, load the tub full and it drains right down now but I know there still roots there but don't want to risk getting it stuck again. I'm curious about how well the 2" sprial cutter would work on this machine, if anyone has any experience with it I'd appreciate a reply. All in all the K400 does what it's designed to do very well and is really a heavy duty piece of equipment and the best part is it's made in U.S.A.
            I bought it at Home Depot, it was a refurb (basically returned by a customer without the C cutter) and I did get a good deal on it for $375 I wished that I had the C cutter during the process of stinking up my house

I'm sure that there are many private shops in your area that do sewer cleaning for far less $$$ than RR and will probably do a better job.

Is it REALLY worth the hassle & risks you are taking ? The possibility of hurting yourself or getting your sink machine twisted up/permanently stuck in your sewer ???

Something to think about..........

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              I'm sure that there are many private shops in your area that do sewer cleaning for far less $$$ than RR and will probably do a better job.

Is it REALLY worth the hassle & risks you are taking ? The possibility of hurting yourself or getting your sink machine twisted up/permanently stuck in your sewer ???

Something to think about..........
              I only used reverse a few times on it cause I didn't want to mess the cable up, I've been working with machinery pretty much all my life and I know how easy it is to screw up the spring steel, I'm going to call my sewer line good for now along with the rock salt. If it does plug up again I'll try the spiral cutter on it.

Comment

giant, Sounds like you are getting some great advise on here. Not related to the thread but I noticed you with the metal detector. I found a great forum a few years back for metal detecting.

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I may have to get out and start digging again this summer. My boys are probably to the age they will actually enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  giant, Sounds like you are getting some great advise on here. Not related to the thread but I noticed you with the metal detector. I found a great forum a few years back for metal detecting.

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I may have to get out and start digging again this summer. My boys are probably to the age they will actually enjoy it.
                  Oh yeah I'm getting some great advice for sure, another thing Rick said is the 1/2 cable, that might even be worth getting in it'self tackling a job like this with the K400 alone is a tough job but with the more stout 1/2 cable you're going to have that much more torque on the cutter.

I've been metal detecting since I was 39 and have found plenty of lead sewer pipe my favorite two hobbies are motorcycles and metal detecting.

Last edited by giant056; 04-07-2014, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

Rick.
                    All I run on that machine is 1/2"
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Use root x,a supplier is on this forum,I can not bring his user name up at this time.

Comment

Dan Lawrence from rootx.

rick
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Ooops I won't mention rock salt anymore

Comment

Rock salt will eventually destroy metalic piping.

Rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

There's a lot to be said about PVC, unless it gets a crack in it the roots would probably never invade.

Comment

Working...
                              X