Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID Forum Upgrade This Weekend

Dear RIDGID Forum Members,

As previously communicated, we will be upgrading the software platform that the RIDGID Forum is built upon. This work will begin at midnight this Saturday, April 12, and complete sometime April 13. The site will be down during this time.

We do apologize for this inconvenience but it is a necessary action to ensure that the RIDGID Forum remains a safe place to engage with your friends!

Some of the great enhancements to come include:

• Responsive design to enable better mobile and tablet viewing - 40% of you access the site this way already so this alone is worth the upgrade!
    • Improved search functionality – need I say more?!?
    • RSS feeds to our Facebook, YouTube & Pinterest social media sites – direct link to quickly see what’s new on those sites directly from the RIDGID Forum
    • Social sharing of threads to your own Facebook, Google+ and other social media sites
    • Site stability / uptime / security

Please be aware when logging into the new system after the update, you will need to enter your username and password.

Thank you!

Re: RIDGID Forum Upgrade This Weekend

Does vBulletin use Open SSL?

Is the Heartbleed exploit something that users of this site or others running on vBulletion have to worry about?
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

• sdyer
      sdyer commented
      Editing a comment
      Bob, I spoke with the developer that did the upgrade about this and he did say he addressed the concern but I will certainly reconfirm. Thanks for asking.

I have confirmed that we are free from any Heartbleed risk. This was addressed a few days prior to the upgrade.

Comment

Thanks.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

Where do I change the font size? This is way too small. As you said about 40% access the site from tablets or smartphones, I do about half the time. The default font size is less than half the size it was.

Comment

• sdyer
          sdyer commented
          Editing a comment
          Bob, see my comment to David below...

#7.1
          sdyer commented
          Today, 08:10 AM
          David, you can change the font size. Check out the drop down list of options in the lower left hand of the page. Should be shown as Default Red right now. A few options to play with.

No kidding. The tablet is great for working in the dark. But now I need better reading glasses as the font is too tiny.

also too many old features are missing. Just try to look up forum members. It's 300+ pages just for the letter p.

would be nice to see the user profile next to their avatar. Epecially when it comes to codes across the country.

Rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-13-2014, 07:10 AM. Reason: font so small, I couldn't spell check. changed lit to it.
        phoebe it is

Comment

• sdyer
          sdyer commented
          Editing a comment
          Rick, see my comment to David below...we will look into some of the stuff that may be missing. As it's a new system, they have changed options so we might be limited on what we can do...might not even exist. Will do our best!

#7.1
          sdyer commented
          Today, 08:10 AM
          David, you can change the font size. Check out the drop down list of options in the lower left hand of the page. Should be shown as Default Red right now. A few options to play with.

The font is WAAAAAAAAY to small! Nor can I enlarge it by spreading my fingers.

David

Comment

• sdyer
          sdyer commented
          Editing a comment

Yes, bottom left default is red. Click it and swap to large red.

funny, I found this just before reading steves comments.

Problem is the font only enlarges our text we type. Not the forum default settings.

Also if I try to touch the screen to go back to a word, my tablet will scroll back to the top of the first post. Enough to drive you nuts.

There might be a learning curve with this new software, but who ever developed this loaded it up way to basic.

The old software had features that at 1 time actually worked. Now we have no features and bigger glitches.

Rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-13-2014, 07:28 AM. Reason: more gripes.
        phoebe it is

Comment

It's working fine on my IPad. Enlarged the text, it's fine
          sigpic

Comment

Another of my regular forums has endured 2-3 years of issues when 'upgrading'. It lost 1000's of members. They simply defected to another site.

David

Comment

Seriously, the 1000 photos that were viewable in my post to go with the story are gone. 10 years of work down the drain in 1 day.

honesty bring back the old forum and fix what was vulnerable.

I can't even type this without it scrolling to the top every time I touch the screen.

Rick.
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-13-2014, 12:59 PM. Reason: it sucks
              phoebe it is

Comment

• DanMuresan
                DanMuresan commented
                Editing a comment
                Rick, we are looking into this and it's a matter of time until this will be fixed. I'll keep an eye on this issue and will get back with news as soon as it's fixed.

Your photos are not lost!

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              Seriously, the 1000 photos that were viewable in my post to go with the story are gone. 10 years of work down the drain in 1 day.

honesty bring back the old forum and fix what was vulnerable.

I can't even type this without it scrolling to the top every time I touch the screen.

Rick.
              Rick I checked a couple of your old posts that had photos - they are still there but not being displayed. The attachments are shown at the end of the post and if you click on those you can see the pics.
              So I don't think they are lost - they just need to fix the system so the photos are displayed as originally intended instead of just file names

Comment

I Got the Font to enlarge But wish i could simply Spread the page open like the old format allowed.

Comment

This AFM cannot access new forum when I press forum all I get is Invalid Page URL contact administrator all I can access is What`s New ????????????????

Tony

Comment

Tony, now I know how you feel in Australia with your frustration. Except I've only been at it for 16 hours.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X