X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Heating

Hello......I have converted my two car garage into a workshop. Walls insulated, live in Maryland.....so the cold will be here soon. I am hoping for recommendations on heating. Electric, propane, etc.. I do not have natual gas in my home and have been directed toward a Dyna-Glow 35,000 btu propane heater. Sounds okay, but I am worried about propane and explosion. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

The 35,000 BTU sounds about right for the heater. A couple of things you might want to consider would be insulating the roof and installing an on/off switch before the thermostat if you don't intend to heat the garage 24/7. If you don't heat 24/7, then condensation on your tools may become an issue at some point.

Where I live the most economical way to heat, given your circumstances, would be to use LP gas fired by an electronic ignition burner.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I do not know the code issues where you live but I would check before buying any equipment. Fire and explosion potential are considerations best left to the pros. Down here in hillbilly country kerosene or propane fired heaters such as Monitor and Laser are popular. They use a concentric flue that brings in makeup air which also cools the exhaust stack. They are very efficient and vented so that they do not put products of combustion (ie: condensation or carbon monoxide) in the room or deplete oxygen. They are not cheap though.

The open flame propane systems can cause condensation problems if not properly vented. The ones without a stack usually tell you to have a rather large window open which can be counter-productive. I would hate to forget and spray volatile finishes with an open flame. I have used the catalytic Infrared gas fired panels mounted high in an aircraft hanger with no problems though.

Another consideration is a small furnace dedicated to the shop. Electric heating has had a bad rap but our electric rates here have not fluctuated significantly in years and most systems I have seen are pretty efficient (read no heat loss out the chimney).

I am not an expert and you should consider finding a heating person you trust locally and pick his or her brain. Good luck

Comment

Hopefully not too long a post.

I recently installed a propane heater in my outdoor workshop that I am remodeling. Like suggested before, you should have a vented heater. I would suggest what is called a direct-vent heater which takes outside air for combustion and then sends it back out after combustion. No inside air is used. There are a few good reasons for doing this. No moisture is added to the air which could cause problems with rusting of tools. No other combustion gases put into the air like carbon monoxide. And also, less chance for disastrous fires and explosions due to flammable substances in your garage. Do not put in an open flame space heater in your garage which I suspect the Dyna-Glow is so check it out!

I purchased an Orbis heater at a local store that is 20,000 BTU for my 300 ft2 workshop (you can see something similar at www.orbisheat.com ). This is sufficient for a insulated space but would be undersized if uninsulated. I piped in another LP line from my LP tank so that was easier than would be your case since you don't already have LP. Note, I have a 1000 gallon LP tank. I have heard that you can use a smaller LP tank but low temperatures can cause some problems with small tanks. That would be the case for me in Minnesota but I don't think that would be the case for Maryland (my home state by-the-way). I guess a heating contractor would know that. LP is safe if installed properly. I would not suggest any LP tanks inside your garage (there might also be some laws against that since it might be considered an enclosed space). Be careful with any gas though. Work should be done by someone that knows what they are doing. I did my own but I am very careful and picky and make sure I am doing everything right. Good luck.

[ 11-13-2002, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Ivan ]

Comment

this might sound like an odd solution but have you considered and old wood burning stove?
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
          X