X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting find??

Well i apologize as i can not figure out how to paste a picture here so if anyone is willing to help me out please contact me so i can email you a picture. I am always looking for tools at garage sales and the like. Every now and then i find a good buy as i did this weekend. five bucks got me a box of some older tools. a few pipe wrenches, a flairing tool, a few metal files etc. And then there is this one item which i haven't a clue what it is used for. Google wasn't much help with the exception of dating of the company late 1800's early 1900's. the only markings i can find on it is EC ATKINS & CO. indianapolis indiana. no numberss of any kind that i can see. it appears to be a crimper of some sort, but not for electrical applications. i thought maybe a nibbler for sheet metal but that's not right. Anyone willing to take a look at a picture of this thing and maybe help me to figure out what it is? Thanks
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Here is the picture for the post above

Comment

A saw set?
      Support Our Troops!
      www.mnpatriotguard.org
      www.patriotguard.org

Comment

A poorly designed nutcracker. [img]smile.gif[/img]
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

sheetmetal crimp for crimping metal ducts so they slid into one another used for stove pipes ect.

Comment

THATKS FOR POSTING PIC WBROOKS

Comment

ORANGEMAN....that was my first thought....... sheet metal tool?? it is obviously a crimper but not electrical!

Comment

i have no use for this thing. anywhere i can go to determine if it is worth anything?

Comment

its definitely a saw set plier with adjustments for the teeths. used on handsaws only..

Comment

SpaceBlue,

I agree with Stephen, it appears to me to be a tooth set for a handsaw, and perhaps even for the larger cross-cut lumber saws of the time. A sawset would have that adjustment on the jaw to keep some consistancy to the set.

Most sheetmetal hand crimpers that I have seen are more like extra dull sheers or pliers, as you would crimp the pipe by facing the end, not from one side. It is better to visually gauge the amount of crimp that way. When setting the tooth offset on a saw however, one would normally hold the saw with the teeth facing up and the tool is applied from the side.

Hope this helps,

CWS

[ 10-25-2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

Here's some info on old handsaws;
                      Vintage Saws web page

Click on the 'Saw Sets' link in the left side menu.

Comment

a saw set plier for hand saws? i will check out the link but please do explain exactly what it does. i am confused. no idea what this tool does to hand saws. it looked to me like something more for crimping sheet metal.

Comment

Have a look at the business end of a hand saw. see how the teeth are all the same distance left and right of center? That is the job of a saw set. Before tailed saws came along a hand saw would need to be sharpened and eventuly have new teeth filed into the metal. Once you filed the new teeth to shape with a triangular file you would need to create the kerf (same as current round saw blades) this is done with the saw set

Comment

Working...
                          X