X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTENTION ALL FORUM USERS

Due to the necessity of changing servers, we have lost the posts for the last several days. There are other problems with the RIDGID website that we will have to work out over the next few days, so bear with us. The Forum should be working properly now, but please report any difficulties.

Admit it, you forgot to change the batteries

Comment

I was wondering about this before I saw this post. I thought I had been the victim of some strange censoring of my postings.
      I lost several lengthy posts in several different categories that I spent some considerable time on writing. I understand that things like this happen from time to time but I don't understand why this site is'nt backed up on another server or something like many other sites do. I can't really re-write those posts and thier loss makes me wonder whether I even want to bother writing more in the future.
      Thanks at least for the explanation.
      D.M.

Comment

What I don't understand is when switching servers how do you lose seven days of posts? It was not do to switching servers, yes you might have switched servers, but that does not make the seven days vanish, someone screwing up does.

Comment

THE SKY IS FALLING!! THE SKY IS FALLING!! Sheesh.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by TAC:
            What I don't understand is when switching servers how do you lose seven days of posts? It was not do to switching servers, yes you might have switched servers, but that does not make the seven days vanish, someone screwing up does.
            Well, if you really want to know, first there was a "server compromise" at our web host that required us to change servers abruptly with no prior planning. Then there was a foulup in the way that the DNS server pointed to the IP address of the new web server. This was masked by the fact that out internal DNS was correct inside the firewall. So the world continued to use the old server for several days after the site (including the Forum) had been copied to a new server. Add to that the fact that this whole thing started on a Friday, and neither Josh nor I had an inkling about what was going on until Monday.

Someone screwing up? Sure, if it makes you feel better to blame somebody, go ahead.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Norm. People who don't know computers all that well think that backups should be up to the minute. In real life it doesn't happen that way. As a side note, it seems that everyone has DNS problems whne attempting move, change, or upgrade servers. (especially the guys here at work )

Comment

Someone screwing up? Sure, if it makes you feel better to blame somebody, go ahead. [/QB]
                OK, I will. This is obviously the result of a right-wing government conspiracy. No wait, it must have been aliens. Yeah, that's it, aliens! Now I feel better. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Working...
                X