.Consider this:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .Consider this:

Resting up today after a medical procedure, I was able to develop some thoughts.
    Consider this:

Woodworking shows 2102 topics (73%)
    with 12,857 total posts (82%)
    General Topics shows 436 topics (15%)
    with 1722 total posts (11%)
    Plumbing shows 312 topics (11%)
    with 963 total posts (6%)
    Total topics displayed: 2850
    Total posts: 15,542

To no one’s surprise, this is a Woodworking forum.

The forums have been open 3 years, since early August, 2000.
    In 2000, the last 4½ months 212 persons (8%) were registered.
    In 2001, 651 persons (25.3%) were registered.
    In 2002, 1078 persons (41.9%) were registered.
    In 2003, the first 8½ months 632 persons (24.5%) have been registered.

The forum has been steadily growing. Most of these people post to Woodworking forums.

There are 2574 total registered persons. Only three numbers have been removed.
    Of those, 1297 registered persons (50.4%) have never posted a single entry.
    865 (33.6%) have posted less than 5 entries, remaining as junior members.
    412 (16%) have posted at least 5 entries, achieving member status:
    28 members have entered over 100 posts
    23* have posted in the last 3 months
    12 members have entered 75 – 99 posts
    10* have posted in the last 3 months
    24 members have entered 50 – 74 posts
    13* have posted in the last 3 months
    49 members have entered 25 – 49 posts
    28* have posted in the last 3 months
    27 members have entered 20 – 24 posts
    8* have posted in the last 3 months
    44 members have entered 15 – 19 posts
    14* have posted in the last 3 months
    63 members have entered 10 – 14 posts
    11* have posted in the last 3 months
    165 members have entered 5 – 9 posts
    13* have posted in the last 3 months

A total 120* members have posted in the last 3 months
    * Approximate counts
    Some observations:
    With over 2500 members, there are approximately 100 regulars, with a few more newbies.
    A member doesn’t seem to take ownership of this forum until they enter about 40 – 50 posts.
    Most new members seem to post from a few days to about 3 months, and then stop posting.
    What does it mean? I don’t know, maybe 5% retention is a good number. But I think it suggests that we as individuals must continue to keep the posts interesting on a daily basis.
    Could the interest of the other 2000+ members be renewed? I would think that an e-mail campaign could recapture some of the others, maybe another 3%, once they see how the forums have evolved. Perhaps Ridgid could sponsor a promotion, which could bring interest in the forum and the new lines.

But the real question may be: Will Ridgid have an interest in maintaining a woodworking forum when the line goes away? If Ryobi takes over, will they simply roll it into their present (and difficult to follow) format? What do you think?
    If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

I think you need to find a book to read. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Man........... I sure do hope you get well soon. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

A friend took compassion and brought over a Betty Grable movie, but I can't find my 8mm projector!
        Once I'm back on my pins, maybe I'll take the time I've been looking for to fix that 8-track and get it back in operation. Oh, I did have to say operation . . .
        If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

Nice job... Good census on what's going on... It would be nice to see Ridgid freshen up the place a bit... People want to see new an cool stuff every once in a while... The e-mail campaign with maybe a freebee promotional item each month for forum members active in posting might generate a little more forum input... Not talking anything big, maybe calendars, koozy's, t-shirts and the such... Just a thought...
          Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

I would think that an e-mail campaign could recapture some of the others, maybe another 3%, once they see how the forums have evolved.

That would be spam. I gave Ridgid no permission to e-mail me for such reason, and I don't think anyone else did either.

Dave
            BOFH EMail Administrator.

Comment

Better plan. Include some sort of one page promotional material with all Ridgid woodworking products advertising the forums. You know, right after the manual and such? Include some quotes and such.

Comment

Deblieux,
                You sure did a thorough job with those stats.
                I hope you get well soon.
                Rafael
                www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deblieux:
                  Could the interest of the other 2000+ members be renewed... Perhaps Ridgid could sponsor a promotion, which could bring interest in the forum and the new lines.
                  I'm thinking 5% off coupons toward new Ridgid tools for new forum registrants (add flyer with Ridgid.com forum addy to all new tool boxes).

10% for most valued participants (top 10 contributors selected through poll of registered members).

Best of all... a 20% coupon for originator of the promotion.

Selflessly yours, and thinkin' all the time...

Comment

Working...
                  X