warrenty registartion question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warrenty registartion question

Hi all I purchased a 3 piece 18v combo set by Rigid and it came with the lifetime limmited warrenty. I wanted to ask if I have to register each item in the combo individually, or if there is a combo pack warrenty form? thanks for your help

I registered my combo on the website. Doing the registration in this manner required me to register each item individually since it would only accept one serial number at a time.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I just went through the whole ordeal of doing them seperatly. thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by dadarkjedi:
        Hi all I purchased a 3 piece 18v combo set by Rigid and it came with the lifetime limmited warrenty. I wanted to ask if I have to register each item in the combo individually, or if there is a combo pack warrenty form? thanks for your help
        We were told before that with the combo sets you just have to do the drill everything else in the kit will be under the drill number...Hope still that's right?? Things seem to always be changing around here...Bob

Comment

For what it is worth, I wrote "Brandman" yesterday about that very question (registering a multi-piece kit).

If, as "rrmcbride" said, you only have to register the drill, then it would not be too bad to register, but the kit, as well as the registration site online, needs to have some instructions on this subject. Note this Norm and Josh...

I suggested to "Brandman", that the kit itself should contain either multiple cards or a card that had spaces for multiple tools for those who mail in the cards.

Comment

Actually, shouldn't the real question be:

If I register my Ridgid tools, why must I have the original receipt for you to honor my warranty? We all know the HD receipts are worthless after a few months. They fade away & become unreadable. Why is it called a warranty registration if it really has no bearing on the warranty being honored? Seems more like a way to compile a nice little mailing list of woodworkers to sell to other companies.

Kevin

Comment

kbrandon, this question has come up before and the answer to that is, unless you keep your receipt:

1) they have no idea whether you are the original owner.

2) they don't know when you purchased the tools.

3) they don't know whether you purchased them from an authorized Ridgid reseller.

To be entitled to the old Lifetime Warranty, which was and still is, applicable to the original grey Ridgid tools, you must be the original owner and you must have purchased the tools from an authorized Ridgid reseller. Typically this is Home Depot, however, it cannot be a source such as someone selling them on eBay because they would not be an authorized Ridgid reseller. When you purchased the tools is not all that relevant, though it will still be shown on the receipt if you have taken the proper steps to safeguard it.

To be entitled to the three year warranty, which will be the normal warranty offered after 31 January 2004, the starting date of the warranty, i.e. the purchase date, must be known as well as who sold them to you. This can only be determined from the sales receipt. Yes, the sales receipt will fade out in a couple of months or less and if it is heat-sealed, it will turn totally black. It is, after all, a thermal printing process that is used on Home Depot's registers. To get around this, you can request their customer service personnel print out a hard copy of the sales receipt which will not be a thermal copy. You can also take that hard copy or one you make with a copier and heat seal that copy for safekeeping.

To be entitled to the Limited Lifetime Service Warranty, which is the special warranty that even replaces the batteries of the cordless tools, and is applicable to the new family of orange Ridgid tools, you must be the original owner, you must have purchased them from an authorized Ridgid reseller, and you must have purchased them between 1 September 2003 and 31 January 2004. You must have the original sales receipt to prove all three parts of this written requirement.

If,however, you choose not to go through the hassle of registering the tools, either by mail or by using the online registration service, simply because you don't want to let Ridgid or OWT know who you are, you will only have a 90 day return option available to you that you must exercise through Home Depot and this option will still require the original sales receipt which, without intervention, will most likely, not be legible after that amount of time.

Comment

While I understand your point, all the needed items you reference in your post are asked on the registration form. You also have to give the serial & model # of the tool being registered. IIRC, it even asks for the purchase price.

Now, some people could lie about all that & I'm sure that probably happens. However, I think the majority are honest with their registrations.

I guess my point is: If I registered a tool when I bought it that qualifies for the lifetime warranty and it breaks two years from now, why isn't the fact that I registered it with Ridgid good enough for them to honor the warranty?

When this was brought up before, we were told on this forum that Ridgid & HD were going to address the vanishing receipt issue too. Guess they're waiting until after the lifetime warranty offer expires, or they have no intention of addressing it at all.

Kevin

Comment

You just gave part of the reason in your second paragraph. People could simply lie and say they purchased the tool from HD when they got it from eBay or some individual. The special warranty is tied to purchasing the tools from a qualified seller during a specific time frame and they are simply asking you to be able to prove that you purchased it during the proper time frame and from a qualified seller. Nuff said...if that isn't clear enough, I can't help you.

[ 01-05-2004, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: grey44ghost ]

Comment

Hi can you tell me where i can register for the lifetime warranty? Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by busygal:
                      Hi can you tell me where i can register for the lifetime warranty? Thanks so much!
                      Product registration page

caspian

Comment

Originally posted by grey44ghost:
                        [QB] kbrandon, this question has come up before and the answer to that is, unless you keep your receipt:

1) they have no idea whether you are the original owner.

2) they don't know when you purchased the tools.

3) they don't know whether you purchased them from an authorized Ridgid reseller.
                        1) if I am the one who registered and I am the one requesting service of my tool, then it is quite clear that I am the orginal purchaser.

2) the registration page on the website asks for purchase date. also, when you enter your registration info on site it is date encoded therefore they know when you registered it. if some dumba$$ thinks they can buy a Ridgid tool three years from now and register it with the purchase date during the promo "lifetime guarentee", it wouldn't work.

3) if they don't know where their products are going, then they have bigger issues than product registration. they can (or should be able to) track their product through distribution. if there is a problem with product theft from the distributor, then they need to address that problem and not put it on the customer.

EVERY other product that i have had, they relied on the registration to determine if the warrenty applies to my purchase. this isn't good enough for ridgid. Instead they give us wax receipts which self destruct.
                        I'm putting my faith in Ridgid. I am assuming they will honor their lifetime warrenty without 87 pages of legal mumbo jumbo. if there is a problem down the road, then they will take care of this customer or it will cost them more than the purchase price of my combo kit.

caspian

Comment

Shouldn't the real question be why would they only offer a "limited time" on a lifetime warranty if these products are as good as they say they are. ???? Or are they just trying to conpose a list as mentioned previously.

And isn't the "lifetime" offer over already - expired 12/31/03 and not 1/31/04 as also mentioned in a previous post. Could someone please verify this as that would give people additional time to still buy these tools with a "lifetime" warranty.

Comment

Sundance, I wouldn't question the limited nature of warranty.

Depending on the coverage of warranty and the interpretation of servicing it, a lifetime warranty covering everything including batteries would be a financial drain on any company that would ultimately cause it's demise. Imagine if you bought a car 50 years ago from FORD and they warrantied it against any problems for life. they'd be bankrupt.

If they warrant strictly against mfr defects or cover for a period of 5 years that makes more sense. Anyway, you shouldn't buy a tool based solely on warranty. Many people buy Kias for that reason and although I have not owned one, I know a couple that have. 100,000 mile warranty but it was always in the shop. My honda accord has an average warranty, but My last one I sold with 175,000 miles, the original clutch and only replaced the muffler and heat shield. STill ran like a charm and carmax gave me 3,000 for it.

The reason it's for a limited time is that this is a new tool line for ryobi since taking over from emmerson, and they are trying to re-establish themselves in a very competitive market. This is the best way that they could get the most tools in the market the fastest. Probably why it came out around the holiday seasons too.

Jake

Comment

Woodworkerjake ... I wasn't trying to fault the company or product about their warranty. Your explanation makes sense - they're new tools after being bought out by a different company.

But to me as a comsumer (and most people here) we want to get the most bang for our hard earned buck. So why would a tool bought at HD on Wed. 12/31/03 be any different than the same tool with the same manufacture date, etc. bought from the same store same shelf be any less on Friday 1/2/04.

I guess they should offer it to any of the tools with a specific manf. date or currently on the shelves now (the ones that were there before 12/31/03). But I do see the logistics nightmare for everyone involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X