Raised panel bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised panel bit

Can anyone recommend a really good raised panel bit? My old one has petered out. (It didn't last very long) Also, has anyone used the "vertical" raised panel bit? If so, did you build a high fence to run your panel against? TIA.
    Jim

I bought a freud about 5 years ago and have used it extensively. The bearings are still perfect and there is lots of carbide left for many more sharpenings. They stay sharp for a long time. You have to be careful when cleaning them, I was wiping the panel bit down with blade cleaner and it cut the linen cloth and knicked my finger.
    If you have a large enough router the horizontal bit is the way to go IMHO. There is more surface to stabalise the panel so the cuts will be more accurate.

Comment

The Freud 2+2 is the best I've used. I've used some verticals, but they're much harder to control.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I figured the vertical would be harder to control, but thought I would ask, Nice to be reaffirmed. Guess I will start looking for a Freud. Any suggestions on a good place to buy?
        Jim

Comment

Working...
        X