job site radios

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• job site radios

i hear alot of you guys wanting a radio for your job site.i really could care less for them and here a my reasons why 1.i have a very large mix of people who work for me (11 white 9 black 6 asian 2 greek and 4 i have no idea where they come from)so this causes nothing but one huge disargreement on what sould be played and yes we have tried liesing to some thing diffent each day that dont work either.2i hate saying what i need"cut me 6 2x4s at 96 and 3/8"" and this is what i get in return "what huh i didnt hear ya" god i hate that.3 with me being a working owner i do like to be able to see and hear what is being said to who and with what tone in there vioce so i can nip a problem before some thing happens i have 7 guys on work release one of witch has a thing for fighting so i keep a close eye on him he is a great worker with a very short fuse and him and i have been work on this with good results but if he does hit some one i will fire him!! now in my own shop i do have small yard sale tpye radio(i dont need a recharging type of radio) but what i do have works great for me and only cost me $1.00 to boot i love that fact
    9/11/01, never forget.

By golly, now that's the first time I've seen anyone come up with a reason NOT to have a "jobsite" radio... and I must say that I heartedly agree!

Personally, I like radio (another hobby of mine), but not when I need to concentrate and it bugs the heck out of me when someone else is playing their radio within earshot. Heck, I don't even play the radio when I'm in traffic, too distracting!

Probably the greatest reason NOT to have a radio on the job is SAFETY! A few years ago we had a terrible accident on our second shift! One of the lady machine operators got a piece of her clothes caught in the machine she was operating and she got hurt pretty bad. No one heard her scream for help or heard the change in the sound of the machnine as she was pulled into it. She wasn't discovered until almost a halfhour after the accident occured. Reason? Radio's in the shop were so loud that nobody heard anything! Radio's aren't allowed on the first shift, but second shift had relaxed rules.

Just an opinion,

CWS

[ 06-19-2005, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

I agree that overly loud radios can really be a problem. When doing takeoffs or layout it is nearly impossible to do accurate or productive quantities of work when a crew from another trade is blasting music at rock concert decibles.

The whole thing is a lack of respect for others. If someone wants music or sports or talk radio fine, but keep it at a low enough tone that others can safely communicate and think.

I was nearly in a fight because I walked over to a huge stereo that a drywall crew had set up and I turned it down. They were on the other side of the building from where their stereo was and they had turned that thing up so loud that the steel studs were vibrating. One of me versus four of those idiots, I packed up and left, Called the General and told him I would be back when the concert was over. I was back the next day to a virtually empty and very quiet building. Got a lot done too.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Come on, A day with super loud, pounding rap music (there's an oxymoron) would make it go by so much faster.

If someone wants to listen to the radio let them have their own personal radio with an earphone in ONE EAR ONLY. This would allow the worker to hear whats going on regarding the work at hand. And let all the workers know that as soon as an incident happens involving the radios, ALL radios will be banned...PERIOD. This way they police it themselves.

Comment

marchbloom,

I dont mind the loud music when it is something I like, its all the other idiots with no taste.

just kidding.

If the different trades and different people would just have a little bit more respect for others, which used to be the case on jobsites, the radios would not be a problem. I personally enjoy listening to a ballgame or music at reasonable levels, but we have to be willing to keep the volumes down to where everyone can think and hear.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Plumber, I agree.

I remember years ago working on a high rise remodel. To my left were the framers listening to heavy metal, to my right, were the dry wallers listening to country. It became a battle of the radios with me in the middle. Metallica in one ear, and Hank Williams Jr. in the other. I too complained, and all radios were banned from the project.

I think that music is good for the workers, but there is always some idiot that screws it up for everyone.

the dog
            the dog

Comment

Yo Dog, I solved the music type at work. I set all radios to an Oldies station that just plays 60s music. Everyone from the oldest to the youngest employees enjoy this music so no more battle of the bands. Radios are spaced around the work area so none have to be turned up loud for anyone to hear. Works for me!
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan:
                Yo Dog, I solved the music type at work. I set all radios to an Oldies station that just plays 60s music. Everyone from the oldest to the youngest employees enjoy this music so no more battle of the bands. Radios are spaced around the work area so none have to be turned up loud for anyone to hear. Works for me!
                the dog

Comment

I'm all over that. Hendrix, The Beatles, Dylan.

Finally, someone on this forum is talking son sense.

the dog
                  the dog

Comment

I'm a litte ticked about my work place. We are not allowed cellphones headphones or radios in the building at all. The main reason for the cellphone ban is the "saftey" commisioner was hit by somebody while talking on his cellphone. I can agree with the radio thing since i wored in a house in parkcity where the station was set to "mexican poka" music and i hate not understanding what they area singing about. The flooring guys had just left their radio going after the floor was stained, but we had no way to get to the radio to turn in off! Common curtisy helps everyone!!! I have an mp3 player that i hide in my shirt, I have the volume turned all the way up with the headphones under my shirt as will. When i am working alone i can hear the music but when someone is talking to me the music can't be heard. So far that has worked fine but, if you are going to have rules then be sure everyone follows them. I saw on the head company's guy talking on a cell phone without his hard hat on. Maybe he is their new "Saftey" Commisioner?!!!
                    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Yet again the make the rules but do not follow them!!!

I'm driving a forklift (one that's about the size of the full size truck) around a corner inside the building. I am going really slow so, when i come to this corner I see five guys standing there just talking. I honk once, no reaction, I'm suprised they didn't atleast hear the engine! The second time i honk, still no responce, on the third I got one guys attention and he got the others to move. What really irks me is the guy standing closest to the forklift was talkkiing to someone on his cell phone. totally oblivios to the fact that a lard vehicle is headed straight for him. The others were jsut talking, yet a radio is banned since you cna't hear poeple warning you to move? I thought cell Phones were banned too? Yet here are the people that laid down these rules, standing in my way and not moving. We have a saftey meeting coming up on monday, I'm looking forward to them mentioning this event !
                      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Job Site Radio ,for those who wish to ignore the one's who would find this a convience get a life a relax!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X