"plumbers corner"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "plumbers corner"

why are folks on the pumbing boards less willing to share their knowledge than people on the wood working forums?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Most of the people who use the plumbing board are professional plumbers, not enthusiasts like the woodworkers. They make their living solving problems for home owners, so naturally they may be a little reluctant to tell people how to solve those problems themselves.

And it could be the complexity of the problems as well. When people ask me about how to build a personal web page, I have problems explaining anything past the very basic stuff because they don't have the background or the tools to do what I do.

Another factor could be that plumbers are unlikely to log onto a forum and chat about their latest job the way a home hobbyist will discuss their latest project.

Comment

What kind of person would do plumbing as a hobby? Scary.

Comment

A DIY'er.
        I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

norm

i did not think of it that way. thanks. however, the purpose of these boards is to exchange ideas and share knowledge. there are professional woodworkers here that are more than willing to share their knowledge and experience, tricks, etc.

dont get me wrong, i have had some feedback from some folks on the plumbing board, and the little i have gotten has been very helpful, thank you.

so i guess i missed the point of the plumbing side of this board. unlike the woodworking threads, the plumbing side is for plumbers to get together and swap stories? not share knowledge.

dave had it right, a diy'r

i dont do plumbing as a hobby, it is a necessity. and dont freak guys, anything i cant handle i call a pro. but i called a pro because i had water coming up out of my floor drain in the basement of my house not long after i bought it. this was above me so i called a plumber. he came in and said my main needed to be routed out. he did so and charged me 199.95 for 20 minutes of work, 10 of which was carrying his equipment up and down the stairs to my basement. and i had to help him, becuse he could not get it up or down himself. after i watched him do it, it was not worth 199.95

i now go to the home depot and spend the 40 bucks for 4 hrs to rent the auger and do it myself!

Comment

Who enjoys plumbing? Does anyone do it for fun, enjoyment? Do it in your spare time?
            I do most of the plumbing around my house and I hate it more than I hate the flu.
            Only a sick human would enjoy plumbing. If you make your living at it that is fine, it is a good living where I live.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

"why are folks on the pumbing boards less willing to share their knowledge than people on the wood working forums?"
              It is demographics -- plumbing posts are 5% of the Ridgid Forums. There have been only 200 posts added to the Plumbing Forums in the last 4 months, or about 11 posts a week. If there were more posters to the Plumbing Forums, you would get more diversity in the information you receive.
              But don't expect too many journeyman plumbers to be combing these forums for new information. And the ones that are willing to log on and share their knowledge have too small an audience to share with. To paraphrase Raphael, plumbing is not a recreational hobby.
              If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

I am new to these forums, but I dont mind sharing some of my knowledge on the plumbers corner. I am not a total plumber. I specialize in septics and underground utilities.

Things can be expensive, but I've seen many times where you "do it yourselfers" have tried to do things cheap themselves, and messed things up so bad that it cost them twice as much as it would have in the first place for us to come fix them. I also see people try to rent equipment and do their own excavating all the time. With no clue how to run equipment, these people always screw it up and we have to come clean up their mess and smile as we're doing it. The above complaints are warranted, professional services are expensive, but why did you call us? Like you said the problem was above you and you needed someone that knew what he was doing with the right equipment to come fix it!

Comment

I agree with amadorjon, I can do most of the routine stuff, but I call an expert when it has the potential for a disaster or is more than a couple of hours of work.
                  However, believe it or not, I had a toilet that needed replacing, I called several plumbers in the local phone book and the going price including the $100 toilet was about $500 to $600. I could screw up 6 toilets and break even. I bought a $100 HD toilet, a gasket and some kind of greasy sealant the HD guy recommended. With 2 minutes of his advice I saved at least $400. No leaks, no problems. I would not want to do it for a living, but it seems lucrative.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I GUESS I did not think about it that way. i hate plumbing too, but something i hate more is paying someone to do something i can tackle myself. frankly i dont see the point of one of thse forums on a subject that the pro's are unwilling to share knowledge on. there are a great many professional woodworkers/cabinetmakers here who are more than willing to share their knowledge and experience. the pro plumber should be more willing to do so in that there are a great many people out there that end up calling a pro after trying to do something themselves!

happy new year all!!!

Comment

I'am a licensed Journeyman in the state of Mass. and most people in the trades know that holding a plumbing license in Mass. is well respected. Considering Mass. has the toughest standards in plumbing next to Cal.

If you have any plumbing questions I would be very happy to help out, just ask.

Comment

Thanks for the offer rmurf. I just replaced my water heater and it was the easiest change I ever had and it was still a pain in the rear. Your advice in the future will be appreciated.
                        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Something that has been overlooked so far is the fact that, in general, a license is required for plumbing (if you do it for someone else), as well as various permits and inspections. The same goes for Electrical.

Although I too feel like some of the "tradespeople" keep their cards way too close to the chest, they do have to watch out for some liability. I don't know if botched plumbing ever turns into a safety issue, but I know electrical sure can. If a licensed electrician A gives advice to another electrician B, and it turns out a bust, then it's not A's fault. B should know better. But, you take that same electrician A and he gives advice to some DIY that burns down his house, that might be different.

In woodworking, everything is completely different. There are no codes, regulations, or inspections. Nobody is going to require that you use dowel joints here, or a dovetail there. Woodworking is still very much in the "art", not science. That's probably why it's such a prolific hobby.

-Jim

Comment

Ive been in the business over twenty years and to tell you the truth alot of whats being asked is not for DIY people. Home owners should not be replacing their own water heaters or boilers or installing gas stoves. You could hurt or kill someone if you do it wrong. I cant tell you how many times Ive seen water heaters with the wrong or no relief vaulves. I saw one the other day that the home owner cut a garden hose and used it for the gas piping to his brand new water heater he bought from home depot, Some of this stuff should be left to people that know how to do it. Just because you can buy a boiler from a home improvent store now dosn't mean you should try to install it yourself.
                            Sure some things you can and should try yourself but if you have to ask someone on the internet if your doing it correctly then maybe its time to pick up the Yellow Pages [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Heaterman, I respect someone who has the knowledge of how to install water heaters safely. I know it is the one area of plumbing that can be dangersous. The going rate for a plumber to install one in my area is $300 plus, maybe I am wrong, but that price seems excessive for what in my case is an easy swap. The unit has easy access, it is outside. I bought a GE water heater at HD that had a relief valve included and installed.I also bought the kit they sell to replace the pipes on top of the unit. I assume it is the right valve since it is part of the heater. The water heater is outdoors and I just swapped the old one out and put in the new one in per the instructions that came with the heater. This took me all of 30 minutes. I am curious what I could have done wrong. I am not trying to be a wise guy, I am sure that in the 20 years of your experience you've seen alot of mistakes done by diy'ers, if I did anything wrong here I have no idea what it is.
                              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X