X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chicagoland/nw indiana saw mill?

i live in the south chitown suburbs and we are getting ready to have a 80 silver maple tree cut down from our back yard. needless to say, the trunk is quite large as are some of the branches and i would like to explore the possibility of having some of this milled down into stock. any tips? pro's/con's? cost estimates? anyone recommend anyone in the area?

thanks
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Cut it in 8 to 10 foot lengths, and contact the local Amish. Here in MI they are very cheap to bandmill it into 1" lumber. It's up to you to haul it in, and haul it out. They keep the scraps to heat with in the winter. Maybe different there than here, but they are some mighty fine folk in this area!
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

where specifically in MI? dont know of any AMISH in my area. i do know of 2 amish furniture stores...maybe i should start there?

i did run across a gentlemen today that does some milling. as long as i keep it no longer than 8 foot and less than 36" diameter, he can handle it. he said he will saw it for .30 a board foot and will kiln dry it for one month for .30 a board foot
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

There is a saw mill in northwest Ind near Valparaiso, south haven to be exact. White's saw mill. contact them. this should be their number 219-759-2592. I think it is now called White Lumber co.

Comment

Working...
        X