X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAHCO Chisels?

Anyone heard of these guys? i have a craftsman set but they dont hold their edge well, so i will primarily use them for jobs where the blade doesn't have to be 100% and/or it may get nicked.

anyway i was looking at the marples set, as well as the stanley set. both seemed like they had a better edge than the craftsman, and would hold a little better so i was going to go with one of those two. i then came across a chisel set that looks too good to be true. it made by BAHCO, nice wooden box, 5 piece set, super sharp edge, wooden handles, for 59.95
    a little more that i hoped to spend on chisels, but if this is a good deal, too good to pass up, i'll jump on it.
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

I have a set of Marples with red/yellow resin handles and they have been great. Never worry about running out of shaving supplies because in a pinch I could use my Marples . Bahco (formerly Sandvic) make a good cabinet scraper but I have not tried their chisels. Unless you are looking for new A2 steel chisels I would go to the flees and pickup some old rustly ones for $1. The steel under that surface rust will hold an edge as good as any new chisel

Comment

marples model nos. m444 and m310 wood chisels are tested time and again. for so many years never had anyone complaining about it.. (my two cents worth)

Comment

Wbrooks

aren't marples irwin products? Bahco was formarally a sandvik item?

Comment

Yep ...

Marples .. Made in Sheffield by Irwin Industrial (formerly known as Record Tools Inc.)

Bahco .. Bahco tools, formerly know as Sandvik, are now part of the Snap On Tool Group

Comment

I came accross the Buck brand of chisels at HD and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. They have been a good name in knives and thought maybe they made good chisels?

Comment

I believe the chisels at HD are named Buck Bros. No relation to Buck knives.
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Lorax, thanks for the clarification I need to pay better attention to what I see!

Comment

You know the one thing I do have to admit is that the stanley pro chisels hold a nice edge.

Another, and this is was a flea market find, i came across a chisel in a flea market tool box i bought for 5 bucks. in GREAT shape. It is a Fullers 842. all is says on the blade is tool steel. this thing came out of the box of tools in poor shape without a nick in the blade. A few swipes across the westsone and she is SHARP. I would love to find more of these.

Comment

Working...
                  X