X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manufacturing jobs in the USA

How is Rigid working to protect manufacturing jobs in the US? Does Rigid support a level playing field for manufacturers, tarrifs on manufactered products not meeting our wage and saftety standards? Aren't we now in a race to the bottom that will destroy the US middleclass? A company that fails in the US seems to be able to move to China and put a US firm that pays workers decent wages, out of business. Is that the future that you see for us? Why not mark the country of origin on your tools on this web site so that we can buy tools that protect our way of life, from people earning decent wages, and working decent conditions.I like Rigid tools, but I also like to protect my job, my home, and my children's future.

I will be very interested in their rely. I am out of work, construction, and the more manufactuing jobs goe out of the U.S. the less work there is for me. I try my best to buy AMRERICAN made but it is geting harder and harder every day.
    Hey RIGID answer the question. Are you going to post on this web site where your tools are made, Make the tools in the U.S.A. and of good quality workmanship and you would sell a lot of them.

Comment

As best as I can tell all the new power tools are made overseas in europe or asia. Who cares whether it's china, germany, switzerland or whatever, it's all the same, all those countries hate us and are essentially our enemies to one degree or another.
      Ridgid could make all these products(or at least assemble) them in the US and still make a profit, but they will make a bigger profit producing overseas. I don't blame them, it's just sad.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Guys, this is a complex topic, but one thing that is simple is that you shouldn't blame Ridgid (or any other manufacturer) for the current trend. It costs more to manufacture things in the United States than it does elsewhere. For a whole bunch of reasons, which include, but are not limited to, wages. (Consider how many cordless drills you have to sell, for instance, to cover the cost of one stupid lawsuit brought by a worker who feels depressed and wants special hours to compensate. You think I'm kidding? Such lawsuits are filed under the ADA every day. Do most of them fail? Yes, but the cost of successfully defending is about the same as the cost of losing.)

So economic reality is that no one in the rest of the world wants to pay the higher cost of U.S. manufactured stuff. Indeed, U.S. consumers don't want to pay it either, which is why the foreign stuff sells so well in the U.S. that the U.S. manufacturers either have to move offshore or go out of business.

Should we erect trade barriers, so that U.S. consumers are forced to pay U.S. prices for U.S. goods (since the foreign stuff would have its price increased by the tariff sufficiently to achieve price parity)? Interesting theoretical question, but the "free trade" agreements that the U.S. government has entered into outlaw such tariffs. Witness what happened only a couple of days ago regarding steel tariffs.

Is this whole situation a good thing? No. Is Ridgid to blame. No.

Comment

I want to add on to RGad response, there is one other reason why everyone produces some or all of its tools overseas, (P.S. Some companies still do some american manufacturing) the reason is Me and You and everyone red blooded American that wants a High Quality tool but does not want to pay high dollar for it. I hate to say it but that is the truth, Ridgid, DeWalt, Milwaukee could all make tools in the US but they would have to charge more to HD, Lowes and other place how would in turn add the same mark up and the price would be higher and consumers like me and you will not buy it or less will be bought across the nation as opposed to a lower price. I hope that makes sense

Bo

Comment

I hate to say it but that is the truth, Ridgid, DeWalt, Milwaukee could all make tools in the US but they would have to charge more to HD, Lowes and other place how would in turn add the same mark up and the price would be higher and consumers like me and you will not buy it or less will be bought across the nation as opposed to a lower price. Bo [/QB][/QUOTE]
            This seems funny to me because although the Ridgid tool is made entirely in China, it seems to be priced at the same level as tools made in the U.S., Germany, and Switzerland to name a few. Also, if any of you are car guy's than you know of Edelbrock and the fact that they are 100% U.S.. They seem to compete extremely well, funny huh.

Comment

My guess would be employee lawsuits are costly in the US. All other costs of production are higher in switzerland and germany.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael:
                My guess would be employee lawsuits are costly in the US. All other costs of production are higher in switzerland and germany.
                Can you please clarify your post. The way I read it is that non-Chineese tools should be more expensive, but in Ridgids case they are virtually the same.

Comment

This is why I bought the Bosch cordless drill. Had the Ridgid cost less I might have bought one. The Bosch was made in Switzerland, the battery pack in Japan, and the charger in China. The Ridgid was made entirely in China, so I would suspect that it's cost to manufacture would be less for the Ridgid (yet the Ridgid is actually 10 dollars more than the Bosch). It's clear that Ridgid isn't passing it's savings to manufacture their cordless drills to the consumer. I don't want to hear the arguement that the price in the Ridgid reflects the lifetime warranty, because come Jan 1 when the lifetime warranty offer expires, I don't expect to see a price drop in the Ridgid drills. However, I'll also restate my opinion that the Ridgid cordless drills are close to the qulity of the higher end drills. It just bugs me that Ridgid doesn't pass some of it's manufacturing savings to the customer.

Comment

Odin65,
                    Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I mean is that even with labor costs(including factors besides salary) and taxes, production costs in germany and switzerland are overall lower because employee lawsuits in the US drive the true production cost higher.
                    Also, if ridgid's cost of producing a tool in china is 10% lower than say bosch's production cost for a similar tool is in germany, that just means ridgid can make a larger profit, it doesn't mean they will price it lower. In general ridgid's tools should cost more since HD does not have to price them with regards to HD's competition. You can't go into HD and say to the manager "I can get that ridgid circular saw $10 cheaper at lowes", no one else sells it. But any porter cable, bosch, makita stuff at HD can be found elsewhere(including on the internet), so HD needs to be competitive on those and other brands, but not on ridgid.
                    I hope I'm clear, words are not my strong point.
                    Rafael
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

My quess is that the ridgid tools are cheaper to manufacture then ones made in US, Mexico, or non-oriental countires. But any tool made in china, by any brand offers a higher margin for the manufacture and for HD. and the reason they can charge a higher margin is because we are willing to pay for it. If people stopped buy Ridgid all of a sudden and said it was too expensive, I bet at some point ridgid and HD will adjust their margins to get the sale

Comment

I think it's important to note that not all of the new Ridgid tools are made in China. True, all the cordless tools are made there. However, the corded drills, grinder, rotary sander, and others, are made in Germany. In fact, the drills looks an awful lot like some of the Milwaukee corded drills. Maybe the profit Ridgid is making on the China tools is being spent to pay for the manufacture of the Germany tools. My guess is that it is being spent on marketing. If so, I hope that after the new tools become entrenched, that profit will go into the design and manufacture of additional cordless tools to augment the drills and saws. Maybe also toward an actual hard case for those cordless tools.

Comment

Ridgid tools are made by publicly-held companies. Watch TTNDY .
                          Profits are what is left over after manufacturing costs, and marketing costs, and all other Costs of Goods Sold.
                          Profits go to shareholders. Shareholders are all of us, or can be.
                          Publicly-held companies are responsible to the shareholders, through elected officers, and are governed by federal law and the SEC. You are not required to buy the tools, or the stock.

Publicly-held companies disclose costs, earnings, profits, and other relevant information publicly.

Trolls do not.

Comment

For those that think that manufactoring is cheaper in the US than in Germany are flat out wrong. In fact, in 2002, more manufactors moved from the US to Germany than they did to China.

You have Unions to blame, wanting Workers to have contracts for stupid amounts of pay to screw things together all day long, no robots allowed, the US gov for all of its Anti business silly regulations, fees, and taxes, and of course ourselves, for wanting 500v cordless drills that weigh 1lb, can be drop tested from 4 miles up, and cost 5 bucks.

Comment

I am surprised to find out that I am not alone in looking at where things are manufactured.

I buy cheap,throw-away tools made in China,like my Ryobi 7.2V cordless.My Ryobi compound miter saw and orbital sander were assembled in the USA,but these are a few years old.Now all of the Ryobi's are of the disposable,Chinese variety.

I am shying away from Makita electric tools since they are mostly now made in China.I do own a Makita gas powered concrete saw-it's made in Germany!My impetus for buying this saw was it's inclusion of a coupon for a free diamond blade.I came within a hair's breath of buying a Partner(made in Sweden),which also had a free diamond blade promotion last year.

Over the course of the past 14 month's I have bought a Bosch hammer drill,a Bosch breaker hammer,both of them made in Germany.I looked at the DeWalt breaker(made in England),but their track record wasn't as lengthy as Bosch's.The Milwaukee and the Kango (both made in Germany) were in the running for my hammer drill purchase.

I also have bought the large Milwaukee breaker hammer(made in England),the only competitor to this is the Bosch Brute breaker.

I won a Porter-Cable 14.4V cordless drill and was surprised to see that it was manufactured in Taiwan.I think that Taiwan is now where Japan was 10-15 years ago.

I just can't justify paying an equivalent rate for a Chinese manufactured product,call me old fashioned,if you will(or maybe not-so-gullible).

Comment

Working...
                              X