X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out of curiosity..........

i know many of us watch WOODWORKS. David Marks in his shop tune up show (and when he is building projects occasionally mwntions this) and that is when you have them sharpened, to ask for them to put a "slight back bevel on them" any idea would this make sense/be beneficial on a hand plane cutter?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

The back bevel is to make the next few sharpenings easier. It creates a smaller bevel to have to put an edge on. Although I just read in a wood mag, that they dont feel it nessissary to use a secondary bevel.

To each his own I suppose. I use only the primary bevel. Thats enough work, concidering I dont use my planes all that much.

Steve

Comment

For me a microbevel is the only way to go. All you need is 1* difference from your primary bevel and you can touch up the edge in a few strokes on the 8000 stone or a touch to the hard buffing wheel with green abrasive. With a microbevel you are only sharpening 1/64" of the blade at the most so a few strokes is all you need to remove the metal. After many sharpenings the microbevel wont be so micro, then you spend a bit more time to make a primary bevel again. I dont bother to take my primary bevel past the 320 grit paper in a hand plane. since the blade goes in bevel down the wood never touches it.

Comment

Working...
      X