X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have A Dilemma

Last week I received a PM from a gentleman thru this site. He said that he had a new tool accessory he was bringing to market and wondered if I was interested in giving it a test run. I replied that I would be happy to.

Later that night he called and we had a very nice conversation. He explained that he didn't want to spam this site with an announcement about his new product but was interested in my opinion of it. I mentioned that after I gave it a test drive that I would review it on this site. There-in lies my dilemma.

Now, I'm wondering if my reviewing it on this site will be considered the same spam that I respected him for not doing. I will of course be getting back to him with my opinions of his product either way but what do you all think? I don't want to be guilty of spaming but I really don't have any affiliation with this gentleman or his company.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

BadgerDave,

This is a tool forum. As long as your opinions are honest and accurate why should there be a problem. If you were actually taking orders for it that might be a different story. You have a good reputation here so I doubt many would seriously question your motivations.

Perhaps put your reviews in "Whats new in power tools". After all just about every brand has its cheerleaders and detractors there.

Can you give us a hint as to what you will be testing?
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

If it is what I'm thinking of i will be testing it out also. A tool review is not spam. it is a review to inform other people about a product you tried and liked or disliked.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

In my opinion it's a form of spam.
        the dog

Comment

BADGERDAVE, GO FOR IT. I'M CURIOUS AS TO WHAT IS NEW AND POSSIBLY EXCITING. WHY DON'T I HAVE 1/ 5 YET. FILL ME IN.
          IF PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED, THEY WILL READ ON. IF NOT THEY WILL IGNORE. YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO SOMETHING THAT OTHERS WOULD LOVE TO DO IF ASKED.
          P.S. IF PLUMBING RELATED, WHO YA GONA CALL!
          YOU KNOW HOW TO REACH ME.
          RICK.

Comment

BadgerDave,

I agree! Proceed with your review and post it under the "What's new in Power Tools"; after all, isn't that the purpose of that particular forum? As stated earlier, you've got a good reputation here and a following of sorts (I like your posts). Just the fact that you've asked the question, is an indication of your respect for the furum, in my opinion. So, let's see what you think of this product.

Also, when the product is ready to market, put up a review over on www.epinions.com. Its a good place to review many products before one makes the purchase.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10:
              Plumbdog, then so is everytime someone posts on here that they rec. a dewalt planer instead of the Ridgid along with every other tool brand that is not Ridgid. Spam is when I come on this forum and post about what I want to sell in every thread I can, it's not one post about a new product I tried out and did or did not like.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Dave - We talk openly about every other type of tool here, why not the one you reviewed? One of the benefits about participating on forums is getting information early. I'd personally like to hear about it. I consider spam to be an unwanted off-topic solicitation....this probably isn't spam.

Comment

badger,
                  It would be spam if someone who never belonged/posted here all of a sudden posts a review here and has an interest in the product(such as getting a cut of the sales generated form the post).
                  I don't believe that is your case.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

It sounds like I won't be ridden out of town on a rail by reviewing this product. I guess I'll give it a shot after I play with it for awhile.

Plumber, a hint you say? Well, the target retail price is $9.99 and it doesn't have a power cord.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by papadan:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by plumbdog10:
                      Plumbdog, then so is everytime someone posts on here that they rec. a dewalt planer instead of the Ridgid along with every other tool brand that is not Ridgid. Spam is when I come on this forum and post about what I want to sell in every thread I can, it's not one post about a new product I tried out and did or did not like. </font>[/QUOTE]Badger Dave asked for an opinion. I gave it. I'm not downgrading him, I'm simply answering his call for opinions. I respect anyone else's opinion, I gave mine.
                      the dog

Comment

badger dave, i guess its alright to review it on this site. kinda interesting to note..

Comment

Dave,
                          Go for it!
                          Lorax
                          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I know, dead thread, but in case you're monitoring, Dave, the standing agreement between you and the producer/ inventor should be that the review will be posted whether it's positive or negative. That's the difference. Oh, yea, and you don't get to keep it. It prevents shading along the lines of propriety.
                            Later,
                            Chiz
                            Later,
                            Chiz

Comment

Working...
                            X